User Tag List

MBTI
    infp

Default Racial stereotyping in music

Have you ever heard a song on the radio, but then when you finally saw the singer they did not fit the race you had assumed they were?

I have, which is silly really but it would also be silly to not admit where those stereotypes come from, nor how well they are actually enforced IRL.

Rap/hip hop/reggae/soul = afro-carribean
    Indie/rock/country/classical etc = caucasian

Of course this isn't 100% accurate, there are some cross overs, even more so these days I've noticed.

However I have had a moment or two where I have seen the singer and thought "oh, so they aren't black/white, woah".....not just me either, through my life I have heard other people exclaim in wonder when realisation hits for them too.

It seems as common as mistaking all women for F's and all men for T's.

So has it ever happened to you?
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I was surprised when I found out the indie band TV On The Radio was led by two black guys. It seems like black people used to be much more involved with rock music (and other genres that require instruments), but they've gravitated so strongly towards hip-hop that it's become a sort of cultural identity for some of them, and that might be self-limiting musically.

So I like when I see branching out taking place between different races and cultures. Although something about white rappers still seems really gimmicky.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I was surprised when I found out the indie band TV On The Radio was lead by two black guys. It seems like black people used to be much more involved with rock music (and other genres that require instruments), but they've gravitated so strongly towards hip-hop that it's become some sort of cultural identity for some of them, and that might be self-limiting musically.
    I felt this way when I saw the lead singer of Bloc party, it just didn't seem like it fit, and yet now it fits so well if you see what I mean.

So I like when I see branching out taking place between different races and cultures.
    Yes so do I, I honestly like to see silly divides conquered and ignored.

Although something about white rappers still seems really gimmicky.
    I think it depends, british street rap has some white rappers that are anything but gimmicky.

Take this guy:

[YOUTUBE="qRCTWBqoxls"]K Koke[/YOUTUBE]

Infact it was this video (my brother's genre) that inspired this thread because I had assumed he was black based on the lack of what you referred to as "gimmicky" lol.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    I think it depends, british street rap has some white rappers that are anything but gimmicky.

Take this guy:

Infact it was this video (my brother's genre) that inspired this thread because I had assumed he was black based on the lack of what you referred to as "gimmicky" lol.
    Hmmm... well it looks like K Koke might have about 50 black friends. I think a white person who is more removed from black culture or demographics will appear more wack while rapping e.g. Marky Mark. Because they'll just be poorly mimicking black stereotypes.

Perhaps it's because the flow of rapping is so much more related to "ebonics" than it is to white middle-class dialect. So white rappers will look like they are "acting black" unless they have been deeply immersed in the culture.

Dali

Heh, this reminds me of the story about how studio executives refused to believe that Rick Astley was white after they'd heard his demo tape for the first time.

MBTI
    SEXY

[YOUTUBE="Orv_F2HV4gk"]I thought white male instead of black woman.[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="sNpXw4MFmvQ"]I thought black male instead of white woman.[/YOUTUBE]