User Tag List

123 Last

your resident asshole

Default Gas smell in my basement. Is it harmful?

The basement in my house always smells of gas, like propane. We have a gas heater, and I think that this is the probable source of the smell. Now, I wouldn't be too concerned about this as I do not spend much time down there, but my brother will spend hours and hours in the basement on his computer. Is he in danger of long-term exposure to whatever this is?

Feel free to move this if it's in the wrong section.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Sounds like you have a leak. That's pretty dangerous, maybe you should get someone to look at it.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    Sounds like you have a leak. That's pretty dangerous, maybe you should get someone to look at it.
    Well, my parents just blow it off as "nothing to worry about," but I'm concerned for my brother. There's really nothing that I can do about it.

MBTI
    INFP

LOL. I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't be laughing, but when I saw the title of your post, all I could picture was you sitting at your computer, passing out from fumes while you waited for an answer from Typology Central.

I agree, you should find out what the deal is! Probably not something to mess around with.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelchild View Post
    LOL. I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't be laughing, but when I saw the title of your post, all I could picture was you sitting at your computer, passing out from fumes while you waited for an answer from Typology Central.

I agree, you should find out what the deal is! Probably not something to mess around with.
    Haha. No, I'm not in my basement at the moment.

My brother sits in these fumes for hours on end, practically every day and he seems fine. Other than being as annoying as he is.

Does anyone know a way that I can figure it out by going down there and looking at things or something like that?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    The basement in my house always smells of gas, like propane. We have a gas heater, and I think that this is the probable source of the smell. Now, I wouldn't be too concerned about this as I do not spend much time down there, but my brother will spend hours and hours in the basement on his computer. Is he in danger of long-term exposure to whatever this is?

Feel free to move this if it's in the wrong section.
    You're all in danger of a very rapid and short-term exposure to flames and explosive force. If the gas ever reaches the right concentration: kaboom.

Unless the smell is only detectable very close to the heater...

Open several windows. Leave immediately without turning on or off any switches, the computer, using your phone, or your cell phone. Leave doors unlocked. Call the fire dept. from outside or a neighbor's house. Better safe than toast.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    You're all in danger of a very rapid and short-term exposure to flames and explosive force. If the gas ever reaches the right concentration: kaboom.

Unless the smell is only detectable very close to the heater...

Open several windows. Leave immediately without turning on or off any switches, the computer, using your phone, or your cell phone. Leave doors unlocked. Call the fire dept. from outside or a neighbor's house. Better safe than toast.
    Heh. No kablooies yet. The smell is not that strong and you don't notice it after being in the basement a while. The smell is not detectable through the house, so I don't think I'm in immediate danger here. I just wanted to know if long-term exposure to this is bad for your health, or in this case, my brother's health.

*edit* Our basement is normally like this and has been this way for over a year.

Smell Gas? Act Fast!

Also, it could be sewer gas. pour a gallon or so of water into each basement drain. This will fill up the gas trap (if it has one) so that no more gas will enter the basement.

your resident asshole

o.O It says to call 911 and stuff. I don't understand why. Nothing bad has ever happened in the seven years or so that I've lived in my house. :/

MBTI
    epic

hey, you still bored?