User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Thread: 25 Facts

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I have a genuine question for you: how do you possibly read the forums if you're legally blind? I understand that you have some operational vision, but do you just have one giant computer monitor?
    Well, to give you an idea of how my vision is, I don't know if you can remember the vision charts that they test people with, with the big "E" at the top, followed by progressively smaller letters. Well, with my left eye, I can see the first three letters (the big "E" and the next two). With my right, I can only see the big "E". Basically, my right eye, in my opinion, is pretty much worthless without the help of my left.

Another way to put all of this is: My vision is 20/100 in my left eye and 20/400 in my right. Technically this is not considered legally blind, but I also have a condition called nystagmus that causes my eyes to move involuntarily (back and forth) sometimes, which further impairs my ability to focus and see stuff right. Anyways, back to what I was saying. 20/100 and 20/400 means that stuff that is 20 feet away from me looks as if it was five times as far away as usual in the left eye and 20 times in right.
    By the way, I'm the girl in the picture, lol.... happily married though, so don't even...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by RansomedbyFire View Post
    Another way to put all of this is: My vision is 20/100 in my left eye and 20/400 in my right....
    I'm sorry you have to deal with that. It is easy for us to take our eyes for granted, until our vision deteriorates in some way. And eyes are so important for so many things, in terms of functioning in today's world.

Did your eyes have this condition at birth, or did they just degrade as you got older? (I.e, was there ever a time when your vision was decent?)

How correctable is this with glasses? (Or any other procedure?)

I wore glasses from fifth grade until a few years ago, when I got LASIK. (I was just near-sighted, with some abnormalities in the one eye that had to be corrected for.)

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    4. I'm fairly certain that a girl I left ten years ago is the great love of my life.
    Your life sounds like a Harlan Ellison story.

7. I say I want to be a writer but I don't write.
    Naughty! Bad! Writers write! (Even if they write bad!) So write! Write!

8. I think that extremists on both left and right are killing our system of representative government.
    Isn't THAT the truth! (sigh)

16. I get angry when people are easily offended on a racial, cultural or religious basis and create organizations whose express purpose is to search for things to be offended by.
    I hate that too.

I was just reading about Kathy Griffin's joke (she's a professional comedienne) about "Jesus not having anything to do with her getting her award" at the last big awards event [note: She was just doing it to get a rise and go against expectation -- that's her brand of humor], and how now the Catholic Antidefamation League is demanding apologies and calling it hate speech and some Christian actors group is talking about how offended they are and blah blah blah...

She makes jokes for a living. She said it because everyone else in the world goes up and thanks Jesus... even if they live like pagan slime the rest of the week. So it was clearly a joke about how everyone thanks Jesus even if they don't even care about Jesus.

This sort of crap is so not Christian (to get hung up on things that don't matter / to be hypersensitive in inappropriate situations), it sort of drives away people from wanting to affiliate themselves as Christian at all.

And I will not even talk about poor Jada Pinkett during her speech last Fall at a northeastern college, where she made some comment that insinuated heterosexual relationships in passing and the homosexual crowd chose to make a big stink about how oppressive she was being for somehow purposefully excluding lesbians or gays... (???) It was just absurd, and hurts their cause.

18. I will drop anything to argue against someone who says the book is better than the movie simply because it's a book. That's a non-argument.
    Often the book is "better" than the movie; it's easy to mess up a screen translation. But often what works in a book does NOT work in the format of a movie, so things necessarily have to be changed to fit the medium. And occasionally I do run across a movie I like better than the book.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Ah crap. I never finished what I was saying, lol. Ya know, sometimes I wonder just how badly I'm missing those brain cells I lost before I got in church...

Anyways... basically, to finish answering your question,

I wore glasses from fifth grade until a few years ago, when I got LASIK. (I was just near-sighted, with some abnormalities in the one eye that had to be corrected for.)
    This condition of mine has nothing to do with the shape of my corneas like everyday near-sightedness.

How correctable is this with glasses? (Or any other procedure?)
    First of all, glasses won't help me, and so far, I do not know of a cure/treatment for the condition (being a damaged nerve). But, having lived this way for a long time, I've adapted pretty well. As for reading this forum, I have a standard size laptop screen (for a Dell Inspiron 6000). I'm not sure exactly how big it is, but I guess I could always look it up real quick. Ah, it's apparently a 15.4 inch screen. I do have my text size set to large on IE, but it doesn't affect all the text, including what I'm writing right now. So, I usually deal with this by simply getting closer to the screen than most would.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm sorry you have to deal with that. It is easy for us to take our eyes for granted, until our vision deteriorates in some way. And eyes are so important for so many things, in terms of functioning in today's world.
    Ya know, until I got married the MAIN thing that bothered me about it was that I couldn't drive. Now, I finally have someone who is willingly to take me just about anywhere any time (but I'm still hesitant to ask him). Next to that, I guess my poor vision has affected my sociability a bit and made it a bit difficult for me to get a job (and keep it).

Did your eyes have this condition at birth, or did they just degrade as you got older? (I.e, was there ever a time when your vision was decent?)
    Well, from what I've heard, my mom thinks it happened when I was about three 'cause she noticed a sharp change in my personality. See, I was born with a condition called hydrocephalus that causes excess cerebrospinal fluid to build up in the ventricles around my brain. I have pretty much outgrown it and haven't needed surgery since I was in third grade. Basically, sometime in my early childhood, when it was acting up, the hydrocephalus put an unnatural amount of pressure on my optic nerve, causing atrophy and permanent damage. I just thank God it wasn't worse. This condition has been known to mentally disable people and/or even kill them. So, as bad as my vision problem is, it could've been much worse!
    By the way, I'm the girl in the picture, lol.... happily married though, so don't even...

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    1. I don't like writing out lists.

I agree with you.....
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Varelse View Post
    25. Ecclesiastes is my favorite book in the Bible.
    That is one of my favorites too. I admit that I didn't fully understand it until one day a pastor explained that the hebrew word translated as "vanity" or "meaningless" actually means something closer to the word "vapor". Now I read the book with the mindset that it is not saying that life is "meaningless", but rather that life is fleeting. (Although the things that it describes as "chasing after the wind" are pretty meaningless.)

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner
    18. I will drop anything to argue against someone who says the book is better than the movie simply because it's a book. That's a non-argument.
    This is one of my pet peeves as well. To me they are simply two different mediums. Each medium has its strengths and weaknesses.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTP

Ok here's my list:

1. I basically like everyone that I've ever met, although I do find some people to be much more interesting than others.

2. I used to forget to pay my bills, although I've never had anything turned off because of it.

3. I have two math degrees and I minored in theatre.

4. The daily adventures that my wife, ladypinkington, and I get into could be used for sitcom material and probably will one day.

5. I sometimes use my master's degree to prop open the window.

6. I read the bible twice every day.

7. 90%+ of the time I drink water. The rest of the time I drink a wide variety of drinks.

8. I cannot swim or ride a bike.

9. I'd love to be able to play a musical instrument such as piano or guitar, but the time it takes to learn is not worth the number of projects that I'd have to give up.

10. I look about ten years younger than my actual age.

11. I like black licorice because of the taste. I love black licorice because few other people do, and I don't have to share.

12. My wife is the only woman I've ever loved, and I'm lucky to be married to her.

13. I considered myself athiest/agnostic from a very early age until age 23 when I became a die-hard born-again Christian.

14. I've played some type of role-playing game (like Dungeons and Dragons) for about 19 years now, and I wish I was playing more.

15. I tell people I'm vegetarian, but I actually eat meat a few times a month.

16. My favorite color is green. My other favorite color is purple.

17. A favorite story about me that a close friend likes to tell is about a car wreck we were in together. The other car was heading to collide right with my car door and I had my face pressed against the window in joyful anticipation. My thoughts basically were "wow I'd never thought I'd get to witness a car crash so up close. Cool!"

18. I had horrible vision until I was 18 when it was corrected with RK surgery. Now my vision is 20/20.

19. I often dream up stories in my head while placing them in the most appropriate medium: Novel, movie, play, TV, comic book, video game, or some hybrid medium.

20. I hate mayonaisse.

21. While I sometimes wish there were 48 hours in a day I realize that I would simply use the extra time to dream up many more things that I would never be able to accomplish.

22. I have many more goals and dreams than I could possibly accomplish in one lifetime.

23. I looooooovvvvvveeeee computer/video games.

24. Many of my potential life goals involve me becoming financially independent to the point that I don't have to work.

25. Although I often get frustrated by the boring routines of life, I consider myself to be very lucky/blessed and my life to be a gift from God.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    6. I read the bible twice every day.
    Upon first reading this statement, I was like, "Whaaaa?" >_o ...and then, I realized what you meant. That's pretty impressive. I used to do so too, and then I got a bit slack.... *sigh* I miss those days though.

17. A favorite story about me that a close friend likes to tell is about a car wreck we were in together. The other car was heading to collide right with my car door and I had my face pressed against the window in joyful anticipation. My thoughts basically were "wow I'd never thought I'd get to witness a car crash so up close. Cool!"
    Yeesh. That's insane... and yet... sounds cool in a way... lol.

20. I hate mayonaisse.
    Me too. Well, now, I can tolerate it in very small amounts if I have to. But yeah, because of this, quite a few things are just out of the question for me to eat - like potato salad, tuna salad... and it's the main reason I don't like salad dressing too.

24. Many of my potential life goals involve me becoming financially independent to the point that I don't have to work.
    Hmm... I don't know what you're thoughts are on investing, but I "paper traded" for nine months once using a specific, really easy, really effective method from a book by Ted Warren, and made 40-something percent in the short amount of time. This is what inspired me to become a finance major. (If you want, I can share an essay I wrote on the investing method with you.)

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by RansomedbyFire View Post
    Upon first reading this statement, I was like, "Whaaaa?" >_o ...and then, I realized what you meant. That's pretty impressive. I used to do so too, and then I got a bit slack.... *sigh* I miss those days though.
    No I don't read the whole thing twice a day, lol. I actually read fairly slowly, so I prefer to read things that put a lot of meaning into just a few words or symbols: math texts, plays, scripture, etc.... I hate modern novels. (Don't get me started on Robert Jordan.)

Yeesh. That's insane... and yet... sounds cool in a way... lol.
    Yep that's me. Insane, but cool...in a way.

Hmm... I don't know what you're thoughts are on investing, but I "paper traded" for nine months once using a specific, really easy, really effective method from a book by Ted Warren, and made 40-something percent in the short amount of time. This is what inspired me to become a finance major. (If you want, I can share an essay I wrote on the investing method with you.)
    Hmmm...sounds too good to be true, but I'm willing to listen to anything regardless of whether I'll use the advice or not.

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

What The_Liquid_Laser forgot to mention is that he is the 2nd funniest person in the whole world. It's true, he can make me laugh almost as much as I can make myself laugh, and that is a grand accomplishment let me tell you,lol.

Me me me me me me me me me, look everybody this is the INFJ being her self absorbed self. Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

But seriously he is the number 2 funniest person ever.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

MBTI
    INFJ

1. I like to read fiction, but rarely have time for anything more than short articles and non-fiction I can dip in and out of between responsibilities.

2. When I was in college I limited myself to only reading on school breaks because I knew I'd never get any schoolwork done otherwise. Then on school breaks I'd binge.

3. I had a wicked stepmother.

4. I love and admire my kids.

5. My grandpa went for long walks and cross country skied every day up until a few months before he died at age 93.

6. I admire my grandpa.

7. I named my daughter after him.

8. She died a day after she was born.

9. I'm of Norwegian, Czechoslovakian, and German Bohemian heritage and then mutt on my mom's side. I've since discovered among the muttness there is Cherokee.

10. I homeschool my children.

11. I also work 40+ hrs/week at two different jobs.

12. I am stressed.

13. I have a degree in accounting.

14. I don't like accounting.

15. I wanted to get a degree in English, but my counselor told me I'd be working as a salesperson in a bookstore and even then I only had about a 30% chance of getting a job.

16. Now I wish I were working as a salesperson in a bookstore.

17. I wrote a really crappy novel 2 years ago.

18. I'm proud of having written a really crappy novel.

19. I am addicted to sweets.

20. My sweetheart seems to enjoy indulging my addiction.
    "We don't see things as they are,
    we see things as we are."
    ...Anais Nin