User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I prefer to receive individualized gifts that show that someone "really knows me" -- unfortunately, most of the things I really want I have already gotten for myself. [Buying me a book is a dangerous thing! I probably already own it.]

I also like to give personalized gifts, regardless of price (low or high) that show someone else I really know what makes them tick. However, the time that needs to be invested to shop successfully is limiting, so I only do that with a few special people.

I hate all the "gift-giving" that goes on just to fulfill social expectation. ("So-and-so got me a gift, so I need to give her a gift or she'll feel slighted, etc." Or "They're related to us, so we have to get them SOMETHING.") I would rather have it more individualized.

Money is a good alternative, since I can figure out exactly what I want and need, to spend the money on. It just still seems impersonal.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I don't really celebrate Christmas. But on special occasions, I just like receiving something (almost anything). I prefer things that are useful, and low maintenance. People tell me, that I am actually being frustrating by saying I just want "anything", but it's basically true.
    I hate being asked "what do you want for Christmas?" it feels uncomfortable for Christmas to turn into this giant game of musical gifts where everybody requests their own stuff and gets a list from everybody else. It just seems masturbatory, not celebratory. I have a very large family, and there are several branches of it (we do a thing with my mother's people, my father's people, Noah's mother's people, and his father- it turns out to be 60 or 70 people all told). It was getting a bit ridiculous with everybody getting stuff for everybody. I have actually started enjoying Christmas since we scaled down and started drawing names.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    It just seems masturbatory, not celebratory.
    Uh huh. That is exactly it.

We had to work to tone down that attitude in our children; we did not want that mindset to develop further.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I prefer to receive individualized gifts that show that someone "really knows me" -- unfortunately, most of the things I really want I have already gotten for myself. [Buying me a book is a dangerous thing! I probably already own it.]

I also like to give personalized gifts, regardless of price (low or high) that show someone else I really know what makes them tick. However, the time that needs to be invested to shop successfully is limiting, so I only do that with a few special people.

I hate all the "gift-giving" that goes on just to fulfill social expectation. ("So-and-so got me a gift, so I need to give her a gift or she'll feel slighted, etc." Or "They're related to us, so we have to get them SOMETHING.") I would rather have it more individualized.

Money is a good alternative, since I can figure out exactly what I want and need, to spend the money on. It just still seems impersonal.
    INTP's are so silly, sensitive, and sentimental about things sometimes.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

This reminds me that when I get a gift idea for my husband, I should email it to myself. He is not easy to buy for.

For me . . . gift cards for bookstores or an iTunes card are good. Yankee candles are good, maybe coffees and teas. Restaurant gift cards. Nicely bound classic novels, especially Brit lit would be cool. I have a modest collection of old books, so even a ratty 100 year old Kipling would rock. Stuff for my house is okay if you have actually been to my house. Chances are everyone else's taste is as good or better than my own. Kitchen gadgets are good. Tools are nice. Camping stuff could be fun.

I don't like self-help books as gifts or things I could be doing with my kids like cookie cutters, or craft projects. I don't like things that make me do stuff, especially work.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    INTP's are so silly, sensitive, and sentimental about things sometimes.
    Stop it, before you make me cry.

MBTI
    INTJ

Throw a spider at her, Jen.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    Throw a spider at her, Jen.
    <wrinkle nose> Do I have to TOUCH it???

...hmmmm.... I wonder if Crowsie left anything good lying around here...

TOSS!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Stop it, before you make me cry.
    What? Don't make you wry? I think it's a little too late for that.

*gets spider, scorpion, and several tomatoes thrown at them*

AHH! AHH! Get them off me! NOW! *shrieks and cries*

*kills spider with nearby book, and just barely avoids getting stung by the scorpion*

*shudders nervously, and runs away from the spider-infested thread and the Web it was part of*