MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    A cool looking sword, like this, originating in Africa:
    Epic!!!!
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ISTP

All I need is a basic folding knife. Preferably partially serrated and a switchblade. Why? Simple....element of surprise and efficiency. Concealed in hand correctly, act like i'm going to fight with fists, right as they come in for the first swing, open knife and stab. If they aren't down immediately, serrated part to the neck.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

this one

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

i think i would feel more comfortable with a wrecking bar (crowbar) then a katana.
    by the way, the katana makes me think of the scene in Pulp Fiction where Bruce Willis is choosing a weapon, and it escalates and becomes more ridiculous until he finally chooses... the katana.

i don't know how common this is, but when i lived in LA some guys would fight with mag-lite flashlights.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I've always wanted to try one of these:

hahaha! i have one of those!
    my girlfriend makes fun of me, because every time we go camping i bring 'The Shovel', and want to use it for everything.
    want to make a fire? no! we must make a fire pit, and i must dig a pit first!
    it's just so damn much fun to use!

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I would go with this one.

Shock value.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

OK, to complete it (but this is not a 'close combat' weapon), I'll include this with my military knife.

... Beretta.

So to speak, I'm able to switch from hand-to-hand combat with my military knife, to medium-range fire in an instant.

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    A cool looking sword, like this, originating in Africa:
    So, what was that used for - rearing lions?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Nillerz View Post
    Why in the FUCK would anyone use an e-tool for close combat? They suck. They're short. You can't even hold them like a shovel, or a club. They're a pain in the ass.
    The same things could be said of the gladius, but with these dorky little swords the Romans conquered as much territory as they could hold.

The problem with a pole-ax, or a katana for that matter or even a Louisville slugger, is you've got to have room to swing it. The e-tool can be swung too, but if you don't have room for that you can just thrust it into the bowels or the throat.

This isn't just somebody's idea. The e-tool saw extensive use in trench warfare in WWI, which when the enemy was in your trench, was really close combat.

The other weapon which really shone in the trenches was the Winchester M1897 pump shotgun.

I would really prefer that if I knew I was headed for a fight... but if I need something to carry under the seat in my car, the e-tool fits, is effective, and arouses no suspicion. Also, the e-tool never runs out of shells.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    The same things could be said of the gladius, but with these dorky little swords the Romans conquered as much territory as they could hold.

Oberon, I have heard a few times that the average height of citizens of Rome was not tall by today's standards, like 5 feet or something, due to lead in the drinking vessels and of course just the absence of nutrition/medicine that is around today.

Do you think that the Romans would have used a sword larger/longer than the gladius if their bodily height/frames were larger? The reason I ask is the obvious differences in the Scottish Claymore and the height/mass of the Scots/Picts that used them. Sure the Claymore was used specifically to cut the tips of lances/spears off, but still, it could have been wielded by someone of lesser stature as effectively.

Just wondering your take on this. The gladius is a cool weapon, for sure.

Cheers,

-Alex

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Do you think that the Romans would have used a sword larger/longer than the gladius if their bodily height/frames were larger? The reason I ask is the obvious differences in the Scottish Claymore and the height/mass of the Scots/Picts that used them. Sure the Claymore was used specifically to cut the tips of lances/spears off, but still, it could have been wielded by someone of lesser stature as effectively.
    I think any discussion of the gladius vs. the claymore as an infantry weapon has to include discussion of the tactics with which they were used. The Scottish approach to battle to the time of Wallace and beyond was open-field melee, where there was room to swing and the first guy to get a weapon point in the other guy usually won. In that context, the claymore excelled.

The Roman approach was different; their massed infantry moved as a unit and fought as a unit, each man shoulder-to-shoulder with the next man and a united mass of shields presented to the enemy. In order for an enemy to attack the Roman front with equal numbers, the enemy had to mass as tightly as the Romans... which largely negated the advantage of a long weapon, which could no longer be swung at a Roman without taking out two of your comrades in the process. The Romans would advance into the enemy as a unit and used their gladii to thrust around the shields as they closed. They found a way to force the fight into truly close quarters, where their short stabbing swords gave them the advantage every time.

So in an open field one-on-one against a Roman, the Pict with a long blade is the man to bet on; but if a hundred Picts are going against a hundred Romans in formation, I'll go with the Romans every time. I don't think the relative body size or strength of the soldiers involved really enters into the discussion much.

EDIT: Interestingly, the Picts developed a strategy to negate the Roman approach; they would attack in pairs, with two Picts for each Roman. The first Pict would throw himself on the Roman's weapon, and the second Pict would kill the Roman before the Roman could get his gladius free. In that manner the Picts would trade one Pict for one Roman... and because there were more Picts than Romans, the Picts won. The result was Hadrian's wall.... "You crazy f*$!!ers stay on that side, and we'll stay on this side, okay?"

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Sais or a quarterstaff for me..optimal defense
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”