User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

The best way to set aside a place for various similar things you might need but won't be using soon.

Perhaps three categories... utility/emergency (flashlights, candles, etc), financial/informative (social security card, past bills, bank statements, etc), and personal (cards, gifts from others, your diploma, pictures, etc).

Also, the best way to be in life is to simply not be sentimental or materialistic. Basically, throw away or sell anything you don't need or that you're finished with. The less you have, the less you have to organize. How much of what you have do you need or use on a regular basis?

EDIT: All of the stuff you listed should go in the trash, except for the scarves and Christmas tree. The others have uses, but aren't optimal and are easily replaced with something that serves the same function better.

About garbage bag ties specifically... you really don't need these. They're fairly useless. The best way to tie off a garbage bag is by tying a knot on the top using the bag itself.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Ne-Monster View Post
    So I have a very serious problem that I need the advice of some strong Js to solve.

As a strong P I have no sense of structure or organization. So I am not sure certain things "belong". As a result I end up with piles of things around the house or shoved in drawers as I look at them and go WTF does thing go? I dunno... junk drawer sounds good. Soon all the drawers are junk drawers.

So I thought I would get your opinions about where you would stick these items.

Here is my list but other Ps feel free to contribute your own lists of randown crap you dont know where to stick.

Items:
    1) safety plugs for wall outlets
    2) scarfs
    3) two foot tall metallic fiber optic christmas tree
    4) deflated metallic shiny ballons
    5) marbles
    6) rocks that have sentimental value
    7) carrots made with construction paper that have cute little plastic straw arms (is there a time limit for keeping kid's crafts, when can I guilt free throw them away?)
    8) half melted candles
    9) trash bag ties

Thanks, Once I get stared here I will come back with more items...
    Hmm. Most of the stuff that doesn't go anywhere in particular goes in places with related items, is tossed out, or put in a box that says, "Stuff???"

So...ideas for places for your above items:

1) safety plugs for wall outlets Put these in a plastic bag and store them with your extension cords.
    2) scarfs Fold them and hang them off of hangers in the closet, or get a belt rack and call it a "scarf rack".
    3) two foot tall metallic fiber optic christmas tree Decide if you actually use this at Christmas. If yes, stick it in a box for Christmas stuff. My mom's a neat freak and has every holiday in its own box/set of boxes, which is actually VERY handy.
    4) deflated metallic shiny ballons Throw these out?? Do you plan to reinflate them?
    5) marbles I've had a nice cloth bag that some Crown Royal came in and I've always used it to store my marbles since I was a kid. Granted, I don't have so many marbles anymore...
    6) rocks that have sentimental value Find a box, label it "Cool Rocks", stick them in there. If you want to display them or something (and I understand, there are some beautiful rocks out there), I'm afraid that will take some thinking on your part.
    7) carrots made with construction paper that have cute little plastic straw arms (is there a time limit for keeping kid's crafts, when can I guilt free throw them away?) Toss them? There's definitely a time limit to me. Usually, if I don't remember when/why I made something from childhood or I'm mildly embarrassed to still be keeping it, I'll toss it. Of course, it's different if you have children. In which case, you can make a "keepsake" box for each child and store all their arts and crafts and sentimental things in it. When the box is full, go through it with your children and figure out which things you want to keep.
    8) half melted candles If you don't use them regularly, then put them in a box with "Candles" on it. I was going to say "toss 'em", but they can still be used. Just don't go buying new candles since you still have these and they're usable!
    9) trash bag ties In a plastic bag in the place you keep your plastic bags, aluminum foil, and trash bags.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Enneagram
    9w8

Just a small thought, but: a good rule of thumb is that if you haven't used something in a few months, it's not a collection (so to speak) that you want to keep, and it's not related to an activity (like skiing or somesuch), take it to Goodwill, recycle it, or throw it out.

This only applies if one dislikes the clutter, which you seem to. Some people love (adore) nostalgia and packratting. I don't.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ne-Monster View Post

Items:
    2) scarfs
    5) marbles
    7) carrots made with construction paper that have cute little plastic straw arms (is there a time limit for keeping kid's crafts, when can I guilt free throw them away?)
    8) half melted candles
    9) trash bag ties
    1 - In your tool box
    2 - In your bedroom wardrobe, or in a box need your coats
    3 - Under the stairs or in the attic
    4 - Bin them (why are you even holding onto them)
    5 - ???? Drawer in the kitchen
    6 - On the bookcase, make them a feature in your place
    7 - Get a largish box to place all kids creative crap in, you need to keep them forever (i threw all my kids stuff out when we moved, guilt now)
    8 - Kitchen drawer
    9 - Under the sink.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    If you don't know where to put it, throw it away!
    "Sorry, Jimmy Jr. -- we don't know which room to make yours, so it looks like it's the Dumpster for you."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    I

LOL @ the thread title.

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

I didn't even think about it until you mentioned it like that.
    Johari / Nohari

Enneagram 1w2/Lifepath 1/first zodiac sign Aries/first Chinese zodiac sign RAT/first born in my siblings of 3. Did I forget to mention first?

Independent Director

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Eiddy View Post
    I didn't even think about it until you mentioned it like that.
    haha excuse my mind.

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

Well given the type of OP it would fit perfectly. lol

OP

Johari / Nohari

Enneagram 1w2/Lifepath 1/first zodiac sign Aries/first Chinese zodiac sign RAT/first born in my siblings of 3. Did I forget to mention first?

Independent Director

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

-throw out, unless you need them (small children, etc). otherwise, get a container for small household odds and ends and stick it there.
    2) scarfs
    -if winter, pack away in a box with other winter clothes. If "decorative". put them in an extra drawer, hang in your closet, or put in a box in your closet.
    -basement corner, and/or in a box wioth other christams things (wrapping, etc)
    -why do you have these? throw out
    5) marbles
    -see 4
    -see 4, or if you must, put them on a knickknack shelf or something, or out in the garden
    -see 4, or stick em on the fridge until they get ratty
    8) half melted candles
    -see 4, or get a candle box if you're really dedicated
    9) trash bag ties
    -with garbage bags (under the sink are mine, but anywhere really)

Most things that you don't know where to put can be safely thrown away, since they're usually cheap to replace and rarely used. That being said, I have a ton of stuff in boxes that should really be thrown out...lol.
    -end of thread-