User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Default Do you like... clothes?

For a long, long time, I used to despise shopping and any form of fashion. To be honest, I perceived worrying about your clothing as materialistic and shallow. I thought that clothing shouldn't matter because people should judge each other based on their insides, not their outsides. I liked calling myself a "t-shirt and jeans" girl.

I've realized just how stupid and probably hypocritical that all sounds. Yeah, some people really are shallow and materialistic when it comes to clothing--like buying some expensive designer shirt because everyone else is wearing it and you want to look cool. And yeah, I'm sure tons of people judge each other based on what the other is wearing; that's inevitable, anyway.

However, once I started thinking of clothing as a form of art and self-expression, all those thoughts disappeared. Now, shopping is actually fun for me. I've started thinking, whoa, I'm wearing art. And just because you want to look good for yourself on the outside doesn't mean your insides are shoved aside, y'know? So yeah, I've realized that shopping makes me happy because I can dress however the hell I want without labeling myself as shallow or materialistic. And I've found that I've become a ton more accepting of others when I'm happy and comfortable with myself, inside and out.

Lol, this has been a great epiphany for me, seriously.

So, do you like shopping for clothes? What's your opinion of people who take their time picking out outfits? Are you happy with the way you dress? And etc. etc.
    Last edited by rainoneventide; 06-30-2009 at 12:37 AM.
    "So I say, live and let live. Thatís my motto. Live and let live.
    Anyone who canít go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker."
    - George Carlin

MBTI
    ISFP

There definitely is a difference between being shallow and dressing for yourself.

I sometimes like shopping, but I'm not the "typical" girl who loves to spend hours trying on everything. I'd go insane. I often pick out outfits, but not like Cher from Clueless or anything. I just like to pair things together in a way that's aesthetically pleasing & flattering. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but Cher had issues.

I'm actually quite happy with the way I dress. Usually I manage to look nice and be comfortable, but sometimes I'll choose comfort over style and my friends will ask me what I'm thinking. That always amuses me.

But yeah, basically I think this topic really depends on your motivation. If you're dressing because you get your worth from clothes, than it's a problem. But if you're dressing to express yourself and enhance the beauty you already have, that's awesome.

You should be able to wear a jeans and T-shirt and still feel awesome.
    ~Erinn

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by rainoneventide View Post
    So, do you like shopping for clothes
    No.

What's your opinion of people who take their time picking out outfits?
    No opinion.

Are you happy with the way you dress?
    I'm not sure how to answer the question. Clothing for me would be about achieving the desired reaction from other people. If the clothing I'm wearing conveys the tone I'm attempting to convey, I'd say it's successful. Or it can be a form of costume ... to help me to fit a role. Other than that, I'm neutral.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Shows like What Not to Wear are interesting from a psychological standpoint. Usually the wearer's bad taste is very rooted in something that they believe about themselves or that they are afraid to lose should they start dressing differently. For example, the thrift shop wearing crazy clothes girl doesn't realize that she can express herself colourfully and in a way that reflects her personality without looking frumpy. Or the lady hanging onto bedazzled clothes and big hair, maybe just doesn't want to lose something from a time when she was still married and her kids were at home and she felt happy. The tomboy girl who cuts hair for a living and works on cars on the weekend who doesn't want to look like a girly girl who is obsessed with primping doesn't realize that she can still be feminine without wearing pink from head to toe...The woman who lost weight and is still wearing very baggy clothes to hide her body...The huge tear-filled breakdowns in the store when shopping have more to do with frustration in how to change their image of themselves or in fear of losing something important to them, than how much an outfit costs or how much they dislike shopping.

Clothes do reflect a lot about what we believe about ourselves and about who we are. As I understand myself better, as well as have come to terms with my physical attributes and drawbacks, I have been able to find more of what looks good on me and to find versatile clothes so that I do not have to spend much time trying to find things that go well together in the morning. I don't spend a lot of time shopping, but don't feel bad about it when I need to. I have learned that getting something that's almost right because it's on sale or you like it but it doesn't quite fit leaves you with a whole bunch of useless clothes. Decent clothes are a way for me to present myself to the world in a way where I don't distract them by looking careless about my appearance and so I have enough confidence in how I look that I can focus my attention on other people, instead of myself.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

I like shopping for clothing online just fine, but I hate going to clothing stores and dealing with crowds (this probably plays terribly well into the NT girl stereotype). I used to be content wearing whatever, but I've found that I enjoy having quality clothing more than anything, which has lead to my owning more aesthetically pleasing pieces anyway.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I don't care about fashion. I like conventional clothes and am trying to complete my clothes from top to bottom so I can have every colors.

MBTI
    INFP

I hate shopping for clothes. I hate wearing clothes. I hate talking about clothes. I've thought about wearing a burlap sack, but too scratchy. My friend wears nothing but black clothing, and if she hadn't thought of it first, maybe I'd have given that a try. Maybe when I have more money and time I will have fun with clothes. I dunno.

I wish I could be naked all the time. But then I could never cook spaghetti sauce. Or bacon.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

So, do you like shopping for clothes?
    I'm famous for my disdain for clothes shopping. I've developed a system: I've memorized my measurements and I just buy the first thing that I don't hate. It's worked out quite well for me in the past.

What's your opinion of people who take their time picking out outfits?
    Depends on their motivation, I guess, but mostly I don't care.

Are you happy with the way you dress?
    I wear comfortable clothing regularly and it doesn't look terrible. I can't complain.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I have an issue with clothes... more specifically I dislike shopping in general, but I especially hate clothes shopping. Perhaps life will be a little different if I'm a little larger... or I live in Asia. As things stand shopping is an embarrassing and depressing act of futility in which I attempt to evade as much as possible. I have a hard enough time finding clothes that fit... much less to talk about style.

For other people though, I tip my metaphorical hat to people who are well-dress. The thought of being materialistic or shallow doesn't enter my mind based on how somebody dress. I look at their personal demeanor and their mannerism for "snap" judgments despite my conscious override to avoid doing so.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I like clothes shopping but it isn't easy. I have a size issue. Fortunately there are stores like Ashley Stewart which have both my regular size bottoms and bigger sized tops plus cute and well fitting underwear. I need business casual for work and this store is great for that purpose. I might not be the typical NT girl, I really love to dress and accessorize, hair and nails. I indulge but I don't go crazy. I shop sales, clearance and use coupons all the time. I think having a polished, together look makes you carry yourself better and feel better.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.