First 23456 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by rainoneventide View Post
    For a long, long time, I used to despise shopping and any form of fashion. To be honest, I perceived worrying about your clothing as materialistic and shallow. I thought that clothing shouldn't matter because people should judge each other based on their insides, not their outsides. I liked calling myself a "t-shirt and jeans" girl.
    When I was younger, I thought clothing was stupid too -- a waste of time and money. But I was also having lots of body issues and hated myself, and so the physical form was something I didn't even much allow myself to invest in.

later in life, when I finally enjoyed being in my body, i found that I really really like clothes. It took me a lot of time to reach that point and it wasn't my natural instinct, but an acquired one. I'm frustrated that some things I'd like to wear do not fit my body shape well, but I found that I do like to find clothes that make me look good and as time passes I've also moved from baggy clothes that hide my body to more form-fitting clothes that give me a shape.

I've realized just how stupid and probably hypocritical that all sounds. Yeah, some people really are shallow and materialistic when it comes to clothing--like buying some expensive designer shirt because everyone else is wearing it and you want to look cool. And yeah, I'm sure tons of people judge each other based on what the other is wearing; that's inevitable, anyway.
    Yes. All of that is true, and mostly why originally I deemed it all "stupid" and fake.

However, once I started thinking of clothing as a form of art and self-expression, all those thoughts disappeared. Now, shopping is actually fun for me. I've started thinking, whoa, I'm wearing art.
    Exactly. I view clothing as self-expression. I'm aesthetically creative by nature and artistic, and I like to reveal/express who I am uniquely, and clothing helps me do that in a social context.

And just because you want to look good for yourself on the outside doesn't mean your insides are shoved aside, y'know?
    Yup, you can be both at once.

So, do you like shopping for clothes?
    If I had the money and the time, I wouldn't mind shopping all Saturday for clothes with friends. There's also a joy of discovery -- you never know what you might find that will look surprisingly good on you, and it's a real rush when you do stumble across something that fits you and expresses "you" to a T. (Depressing though when you don't find squat.)

To save on money, I go shopping at Goodwill and Salvation Army; I have a lot of clothes I picked up there that fit me very well, for only a few dollars apiece, that would have cost me 10-12x that price in the store new.

What's your opinion of people who take their time picking out outfits?
    I don't see the point in getting anal, but frankly in women's fashion there's a lot more "pieces" than with a guy. If you don't have a lot of money, you have to think in terms of ensembles or pieces that you can mix/match. There's also accessories, which can make or break an outfit -- that can muddy a good one or spice up a plain one. And there are so many varieties of social occasions that you have to have the right mix of stuff to prepare for any setting. The reason women tend to have a lot more shoes than guys, plus a variety of jewelry, is based on the need for versatility; your favorite pair of earrings won't match every outfit, and they might clash if you decide to wear a necklace. There are many pieces to juggle and you have to consider how they all mesh and tweak things to create an overall good appearance.

Still, if you're efficient, you can keep it simple and then just dress it up with one or two small things.

Are you happy with the way you dress? And etc. etc.
    Now I am. I used to be all about t-shirts and cargo pants, though. Which I still like, but not as my basic ensemble.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Wow, I think that was the most clear-cut post I've ever posted!)
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You mean you run around... nekkid???? :horor:
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

yes, but I can do without in the presence of a charming lady person.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ISFJ

I like feeling good with what I wear but I'm, more often that not, too lazy or too broke to put much care into shopping for clothes.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    I can appreciate the aesthetics of clothing. In theory.

But I can never justify spending so much on them. Usually I just stick to what's comfortable and cheap.
    Yeah, that's how I feel about it. However, I like bright colors in clothing, so I try to be cheap but bright.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I'm pretty neutral when it comes to cloths. Although it depends on the weather. With hot weather like now, I prefer no clothes by miles. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INtP

I don't like shopping for clothes. I do it as rarely as possible (sometimes less than that... I've been known to wear stuff that's getting a little ragged ). If I could get away with it, I'd wear plain beige/blue/black/gray shorts/jeans and a sweatshirt all of the time (I find that combination quite comfortable) - no patterns, no designs.

I do see how it can be a good, fun outlet for self-expression, but I just don't feel comfortable advertising self expression to anyone who sees me. I'd rather express myself by talking to specific people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Sometimes I like them, sometimes I don't. Depends on my mood.

I would probably like shopping for them more, if I actually had many acceptable options to choose from. The way it is, I don't see much point in going out shopping rather than buying the same basic kind of pants and shirts in bulk.

I know it's either going to be a button-down shirt, a t-shirt, or a polo shirt, in one of several solid colors. Since a button-down shirt is a little too formal for most places I go, it's always the t-shirt or polo shirt. In winter and fall, I can wear a jacket or sweater, though, which helps a little. I usually end up choosing a grey or black zipfront hoodie, or maybe a denim jacket. The pants will either be blue jeans, some kind of shorts (rarely in summer, though I don't like them because they seem too casual and I don't like the way my legs look in them anyway), or slacks, which are a bit more expensive and really don't make sense outside of a professional setting. So it will almost always be blue jeans.

Oh, I think rather well of people who take time picking out their outfit. It shows a concern for how one comes across to others, and an interest in refining their self-expression so that others get a sense of who they are. You can always tell the ones that are unconcerned with it, from the ones who are just trying to look cool/trendy, from the ones that are making a statement, etc. You can usually guess a lot about a person's personality (or at least the personality they're trying to convey) from how they dress, especially from what kind of things they wear on different days or places over time, if there's a pattern or not, etc. On a metaphorical level, I'd compare it to displaying your MBTI type and an avatar on your profile.

Well, I'm sort of satisfied with it. It's not bad, but I'd prefer if I had more options that fit me. I always feel a bit inhibited in my self-expression by having only a few options that work towards the image I want to convey. This may change in the future, though.

Dali

So, do you like shopping for clothes?
    I do and I much prefer shopping alone. Experience has taught me to never go clothes-shopping with friends or family members.

What's your opinion of people who take their time picking out outfits?
    Like you said, clothes are art; identifying good art is a process and it needs not be rushed. Sometimes, the clothes speak to you when you walk past a store-window. Sometimes, you need to rummage around in the store for a while before you select the next addition to your 'art' collection.

I take a long time selecting my clothes and don't mind waiting for other people when they do their thang. That said, I can't sit there and watch girlfriend/other friend try on outfit after outfit. I'd probably pop into the nearest bookshop and spend my time there till they were done.

Are you happy with the way you dress?
    I am. I have an eclectic taste in clothes and wear whatever I wish without putting too much emphasis on societal conventions. When it comes to casual wear, I don't dress in an effort to put forth a particular 'image'. Not consciously anyway.

I have a particular affinity for so-called ethnic wear (I've got Pakistani, Nigerian, Malaysian, Bangladeshi, Kenyan and Somali traditional wear) and suits. I'd buy one good suit a week if I could afford it and am often complimented on the suits I do have.