User Tag List

Thread: Attack of the Camera Terrorist

Angry Attack of the Camera Terrorist

Have you ever been in a situation, say, a casual family function where you are having a good time with the children and you think to yourself, "they are going to remember and cherish this moment." Then out of nowhere someone ruins it by taking out their camera and demanding everyone stop and pose for a picture? Eversince the advent of inexpensive digital cameras you just can't seem to have a nice laid-back gathering without this happening. Some folks, for whatever reason apparently must archive every moment for future viewing even if there is eventually so much that it becomes meaningless.

The camera bandit is closely related to the mobile phone bandit who rudely interrupts interaction to answer their stupid phone. When you combine the camera and the phone into the camera-phone you get the ultimate demon.

Here is a video that somewhat illustrates the phenomenon.

[YOUTUBE="-mQJYte4T2Q"]Anti-Social SmartPhone Users[/YOUTUBE]

Is this true or do I really just despise cameras?

An obnoxious person can make an innocuous <object> insidious if they're directing it obnoxiously.

Edit: This video seems relevant to what I mentioned in Warm's thread.
    "There is no god; there is only us. Savage and fragile."

It's always something... Array PuddleRiver's Avatar

My Dad did this all of the time. He was an amateur photographer and made my sister and I pose for pics to the point that I can't stand getting my picture taken to this day. God bless 'im, may he rest in peace.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi

Darn kids and their newfangled gadgets!

Interesting video though. I myself have thought similar things. But generally taking pictures doesn't bother me. Then again I usually only see my friends every once every other a year.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

When I was living in California everyone walked about with those ridiculous mobile phone ear pieces and would talk loudly wherever they were. Some of them had blinking lights and they looked like fricken androids or the borg or something.

And what's the deal with airline food?

i don't like it when the flow is disrupted because we all have to stop and pose for a picture. lame.

but i like people who just snap photos subtly, photos of the moment, that you are not even aware they are taking. photos in situ.
    i always wanted to be that person, but when i am in the moment i forget to take photos. so thanks, to those of you who do that!

My mom has rolls upon rolls of undeveloped film of us standing and forcing smiles. "OK, stand out in the light. Hold on wait, its not wound up. Ok now smile, ok now wait, you switch places. Wait.. Ok now stand in the shade in case it was too bright."

Every... damn.. time... It wouldn't be so bad if she actually developed any of them. Now she has a digital camera. How many pictures do you need of people standing around and semi-smiling?
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...