User Tag List

First 23456 Last

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    Your average extrovert isn't like this, but highly extroverted people are annoying because they do not appear to actively listen, but instead, passively listen. For example, they will ask for your take on something, but don't seem to actually care. To them it just seems to be a formality to ask (you say something, I say something beep beep) because they will either rudely interrupt you in mid-sentence, or mishear what you said in the first place because they weren't really listening anyway. Which leads to the next annoyance: they don't talk to you, they talk at you. In fact, they talk just for the sake of talking, regardless of meaning or content.

Watching two of them communicate with one another is a lot like watching two monkeys fling their poo back and forth. It's the weirdest damned thing. You'll see them rapidly talking at each other with incoherent statements, constantly interrupting the other until a black hole is formed in the vacuum and any sense of what it means to communicate to another person is lost.

I am exaggerating that last bit, but you get the idea. The worst though is that they just don't accept you as a human being, they are not content that you, the introvert, exists. I accept them and the fact that they exist so long as they respect my autonomy, but it never seems to work the other way around. To them, the introvert is broken, and needs to be fixed with constant violations of his/her personal space and often privacy.
    Goodness, nothing more need be said.

Perhaps many introverts become very cynical about extroverts because of these particular monsters. Though in general, extroverts, like I said, don't really bother me and I quite like them most of the time.

Especially if somone has one (or for the lucky, several) in their family or in-law family. To grow up as introvert being invaded by one of these is hell.

Especially when the introvert in the situation is still young because it makes you gun shy of anyone who seems extroverted so you close off, stay quiet, try to hide and that makes you look like you have a problem and the extroverts then try to "help" you and then it sends you even further inside. Can become a self-fulfilling thing.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Especially when the introvert in the situation is still young because it makes you gun shy of anyone who seems extroverted so you close off, stay quiet, try to hide and that makes you look like you have a problem and the extroverts then try to "help" you and then it sends you even further inside. Can become a self-fulfilling thing.
    I can appreciate the intention extroverts have in thinking they can "help" you, though it can be draining and dehumanizing after awhile. I have found however that most extroverts are at least willing to try to adjust their behavior when you explain how imposing it can be.

Though it is true that growing up can be rough as children are less tactful and forgiving than adults. They almost see you as the devil incarnate for sitting out this round of the neighborhood baseball game.

heart on fire

I can appreciate the intention extroverts have in thinking they can "help" you, though it can be draining and dehumanizing after awhile. I have found however that most extroverts are at least willing to try to adjust their behavior when you explain how imposing it can be.

Though it is true that growing up can be rough as children are less tactful and forgiving than adults. They almost see you as the devil incarnate for sitting out this round of the neighborhood baseball game.
    No, I mean when these *extreme* types of extroverts are authority figures in a child's life. I think it can well set a hestiance to open up around extroverts which creates a greater self-fulfiling type situation. The introvert fears that extroverts will be too pushy so this introvert is extra withdrawn, trying to avoid it and invites the very thing he does not wish, extroverts trying to pull him/her out of their shell.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    No, I mean when these *extreme* types of extroverts are authority figures in a child's life. I think it can well set a hestiance to open up around extroverts which creates a greater self-fulfiling type situation. The introvert fears that extroverts will be too pushy so this introvert is extra withdrawn, trying to avoid it and invites the very thing he does not wish, extroverts trying to pull him/her out of their shell.
    Oh my bad. Yes when it's an adult and you are a child it is absolutely horrifying since you can't really defend yourself. It's like you tell them to back off and they think "ok I'll push harder until you change." A devastating cycle.

heart on fire

Oh my bad. Yes when it's an adult and you are a child it is absolutely horrifying since you can't really defend yourself.
    I probably could have been clearer in my explaination.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

My only complaint for extroverts is that they confuse me. They tend to be really charming, and I occasionally feel like their friendliness means more than it does. They tend to be out of reach socially because they are always on the go. I realize they can't switch into introvert mode and that's fine. I don't expect them to. I like people to be fully whomever they are.

The funny thing is that extreme extroverts and introverts are both really out of reach and need tons of space. It's funny how many similarities there are between both extremes. The issues of being really sensitive to any pressure and needing a lot of space is the same in my experiences with people. Some of my favorite people have been both extremes, but I had to adjust my mindset or was left feeling a bit lonely.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I would add...

- When the E expects everyone to be extroverted like they are, and sees introversion as a flaw.
    - When the E takes your introversion as a personal affront.
    - When the E thinks that independent activities are boring (ie. reading a book alone) & thinks that anyone who prefers these things to a party doesn't "have a life".
    This is probably closer to my own list of complaints.
    INFJ
    4w5

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    damn i've been guilty of most of those at some point!
    I was just thinking the same thing.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    6. When you go out together and E talks to the stranger sitting beside you.

What's wrong with that?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Your average extrovert isn't like this, but highly extroverted people are annoying because they do not appear to actively listen, but instead, passively listen. For example, they will ask for your take on something, but don't seem to actually care. To them it just seems to be a formality to ask (you say something, I say something beep beep) because they will either rudely interrupt you in mid-sentence, or mishear what you said in the first place because they weren't really listening anyway. Which leads to the next annoyance: they don't talk to you, they talk at you. In fact, they talk just for the sake of talking, regardless of meaning or content.

Watching two of them communicate with one another is a lot like watching two monkeys fling their poo back and forth. It's the weirdest damned thing. You'll see them rapidly talking at each other with incoherent statements, constantly interrupting the other until a black hole is formed in the vacuum and any sense of what it means to communicate to another person is lost.

I am exaggerating that last bit, but you get the idea. The worst though is that they just don't accept you as a human being, they are not content that you, the introvert, exists. I accept them and the fact that they exist so long as they respect my autonomy, but it never seems to work the other way around. To them, the introvert is broken, and needs to be fixed with constant violations of his/her personal space and often privacy.

Perhaps many introverts become very cynical about extroverts because of these particular monsters. Though in general, extroverts, like I said, don't really bother me and I quite like them most of the time.

This covers it....
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe