123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

Default Temperments and Seatbelts

This is an excerpt from the book Type Talk At Work, by Otto Kroeger and Janet M. Thuesen, Page 212.

"Here's the scene: You've just crossed the state line, and the sign on the highway says, SEAT BELT USE REQUIRED BY LAW. FINE $300. The person sitting next to you hasn't buckled up. Here's how four different types might respond:

NF: 'Put on your seat belt, or I'll do it for you. I don't want to lose you.'
    NT: 'That sign bothers me. I think it's an invasion of privacy. Don't you think what you do in your car is your own business?'
    SJ: 'I won't drive another inch until you buckle up. It's the law.'
    SP: 'I bet it would be an amazing sensation to fly through the windshield.'"

I think that it is very true, and the SP response is funny to me.

What do you think of the Seatbelt law? Do you agree with this excerpt? Discuss.

I would say, "I feel like I'm living in a George Orwell book, and it is frightening. Best not to get in trouble with the law, though. Besides, seatbelts save lives and only idiots wouldn't put them on in the first place."
    I 96% N 93% T 75% P 63% 5w4 sp/sx/so ILI
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Si>Fi>Se>Fe
    I'm interested in what you percieve me to be. Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I would say, "$300? Ouch, I don't want to get pulled over. Buckle up."

However, that situation would require one to live in a state that didn't already have a seatbelt law. Georgia does, so whoever was with me would probably be buckled in the first place. But I have been known to say, when someone wasn't buckled and refused to do so, "Do you want to go flying through the windshield?"
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Me (SP): Put your seatbelt on. I don't want to pay $300 for you to have the luxury of flying through my windshield.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE

ENFJ: "Put your seatbelt on or I will strangle you with it and then cry in anguish all over your corpse"
    "That's the thing about girls. Every time they do something pretty, even if they're not much to look at, or even if they're sort of stupid, you fall half in love with them, and then you never know where the hell you are. Girls. Jesus Christ. They can drive you crazy. They really can."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by SpottingTrains View Post
    ENFJ: "Put your seatbelt on or I will strangle you with it and then cry in anguish all over your corpse"
    I 96% N 93% T 75% P 63% 5w4 sp/sx/so ILI
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Si>Fi>Se>Fe
    I'm interested in what you percieve me to be. Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

That's hilarious Gewitter27! I've actually heard my mum (and myself) say the NF one a bunch of times, complete with the I don't want to lose you.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Gewitter27 View Post
    SP: 'I bet it would be an amazing sensation to fly through the windshield.'
    it's funny because it's true.

in all honesty i would probably not say anything at all. but i wouldn't buckle up, either.
    maybe i would make some kind of derogatory gesture. like the "thumbs-down and fart noise".

i don't like the idea of seatbelt laws. if people like me are dumb enough to not wear seatbelts, let us.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Hey, if someone doesn't want to wear a seatbelt, they can have at it (unless it's a small child - parents should buckle them up), but I wear them. So do my dogs (yes, doggie seatbelts exist!) for the simple reason that if anything were to happen because I didn't do a simple thing like buckle up, I'd never be able to forgive myself. I encourage friends to buckle up but don't hassle them if they don't (most do tho).
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INFP

In my state the person without the seatbelt on gets the ticket if they are over 18.

My '04 Chevy starts a very irritating beeping if the seatbelt isn't buckled on both parties... my ENTJ would buckle the seatbelt and then sit on top of it if we were just doing short runs.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    it's funny because it's true.

in all honesty i would probably not say anything at all. but i wouldn't buckle up, either.
    maybe i would make some kind of derogatory gesture. like the "thumbs-down and fart noise".

i don't like the idea of seatbelt laws. if people like me are dumb enough to not wear seatbelts, let us.
    Yeah, my response would be something like:

*looks over at the person not wearing a seatbelt*
    *looks back at the road*

/end

And I think "let people make mistakes if they want" is a fantastic philosophy that can be applied to many areas of life. Because you'll only fuck up once (unless you're really bad). Unfortunately the prevailing attitude is that if all those safety nets weren't in place, you'd have hordes of dumbshits using up all the emergency resources.

By safety net I mean anything that prevents you from hurting yourself, sometimes even at the cost of functionality -- guardrails, handrails, those little spikes they put on handrails to keep people from sliding down them, bank advisors, life jackets, chemical goggles, etc. And by emergency resources I mean the people and/or things that come in once you've already fucked up -- police, fire, EMT, governmental bailout packages, emergency eyewash stations, etc.

So then I guess a related question would be, should we have public emergency resources in the first place? Or should it be every citizen's / corporate entity's responsibility to be prepared to act in an emergency situation? Imagine how different our society would be if the latter were true.

You know, I heard that Obama was going to make health insurance mandatory. That's a scary thought.