First 123 Last

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I've never had a problem wearing a seatbelt. I just accepted it as something you gotta do. I do loosen it from time to time when it starts to get a little annoying, though.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INFP

Hilarious. I can totally picture my SP friends saying that.

I tend to fall into the NF category of wanting people to be safe, but I don't bother people or try to force them into wearing a seat belt.

I got in the habit of wearing a seatbelt because I got sick of catching holy HELL from my ISFJ mother if I didn't.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    Yeah, my response would be something like:

*looks over at the person not wearing a seatbelt*
    *looks back at the road*

/end
    2nded.

And I think "let people make mistakes if they want" is a fantastic philosophy that can be applied to many areas of life. Because you'll only fuck up once (unless you're really bad). Unfortunately the prevailing attitude is that if all those safety nets weren't in place, you'd have hordes of dumbshits using up all the emergency resources.

By safety net I mean anything that prevents you from hurting yourself, sometimes even at the cost of functionality -- guardrails, handrails, those little spikes they put on handrails to keep people from sliding down them, bank advisors, life jackets, chemical goggles, etc. And by emergency resources I mean the people and/or things that come in once you've already fucked up -- police, fire, EMT, governmental bailout packages, emergency eyewash stations, etc.
    I disagree with the logic of us needing more public safety personnel if we get rid of that stuff. We might need a few more coroners, but this way the stupid people will get weeded out much sooner in life, and I'll actually be able to not have to dodge morons every time I drive. (I live in New Jersey, we improved this year! New York beat us for worst drivers in the nation).

I'm in favor of safety devices for circumstances beyond your control. For things that are protecting you from being a moron, not so much. Guardrails for example, are good. Shit does happen sometimes, and I like not flying off the road. Mandatory seatbelts in the car? Good. Mandatory use of seatbelt? Bad.

Oops, sorry, that's the little voice in me that doesn't actually care what happens to stupid people/people who don't care about their life enough to take care of it on their own, so why should I care?

*returns to political correctness* Safety? Of course it's a good thing! We need more safety devices on coffee pots, they keep on burning people who pick them up by the pot rather than the handle. While we're at it, I think we should outlaw stoves. They have that dangerous fire stuff, and get hot. Microwaves seem much safer, although they should be required to not explode stuff when people set them wrong and don't watch them.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    xxxx

Depending on the situation:

"As long as you're in my car, you don't get me in trouble for your non-compliance with the seatbelt law."

"Your seatbelt is unbuckled."

"Your mother and I put a lot of effort into making you. We'd hate for our investment to go to waste. Buckle up."
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    Yeah, my response would be something like:

*looks over at the person not wearing a seatbelt*
    *looks back at the road*

/end
    That's my response. Unless I was driving and therefore responsible for paying, in which case I'd make it clear that they're paying the fine, not me.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Me (enfp): "So wait. Why do you think you're special and get to ride comfortably at a potential 300$ expense again?"
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Gewitter27 View Post
    This is an excerpt from the book Type Talk At Work, by Otto Kroeger and Janet M. Thuesen, Page 212.

"Here's the scene: You've just crossed the state line, and the sign on the highway says, SEAT BELT USE REQUIRED BY LAW. FINE $300. The person sitting next to you hasn't buckled up. Here's how four different types might respond:

NF: 'Put on your seat belt, or I'll do it for you. I don't want to lose you.'
    NT: 'That sign bothers me. I think it's an invasion of privacy. Don't you think what you do in your car is your own business?'
    SJ: 'I won't drive another inch until you buckle up. It's the law.'
    SP: 'I bet it would be an amazing sensation to fly through the windshield.'"

I think that it is very true, and the SP response is funny to me.

What do you think of the Seatbelt law? Do you agree with this excerpt? Discuss.

I would say, "I feel like I'm living in a George Orwell book, and it is frightening. Best not to get in trouble with the law, though. Besides, seatbelts save lives and only idiots wouldn't put them on in the first place."
    It's cool to see you have this book, too. Except mines sitting on my bookshelf, unopened. It was my dad's and it's fairly old, probably 10 years or so, but maybe I'll read it.

I think that is absolutely on the nose correct. It's funny to see how accurate MBTI was developed to generalize over almost all healthy personalities.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I buckle mine. If the others don't want to, that's their funeral. Though I make the person sitting behind me wear theirs. No way I'm going to get hurt because they were thrown into my seat due to their idiocy.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

MBTI
    I

Seatbelts have saved my life, I never drive or stay in the car without wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    if people like me are dumb enough to not wear seatbelts, let us.
    +1

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I'd go from NT response to the SP response. NF response is silly I think, I probably would tell him to buckle up, but the dramatic second half is utterly unnecessary.