User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Default Robert Jordan passes away

I feel a great disturbance in the force... like a million words were not written and fans began to riot.

Sometimes even when you've fought your best....
    Sunday, September 16th, 2007

It is with great sadness that I tell you that the Dragon is gone. RJ left us today at 2:45 PM. He fought a valiant fight against this most horrid disease. In the end, he left peacefully and in no pain. In the years he had fought this, he taught me much about living and about facing death. He never waivered in his faith, nor questioned our God's timing. I could not possibly be more proud of anyone. I am eternally grateful for the time that I had with him on this earth and look forward to our reunion, though as I told him this afternoon, not yet. I love you bubba.

Our beloved Harriet was at his side through the entire fight and to the end. The last words from his mouth were to tell her that he loved her.

Thank each and everyone of you for your prayers and support through this ordeal. He knew you were there. Harriet reminded him today that she was very proud of the many lives he had touched through his work. We've all felt the love that you've been sending my brother/cousin. Please keep it coming as our Harriet could use the support.

Jason will be posting funeral arrangements.

My sincerest thanks.

Peace and Light be with each of you,

Wilson
    Brother/Cousin
    4th of 3

To Catalyst: Never, never loose faith. RJ did not. Harriet hasn't. I haven't. Going through what we have, our faith is only strengthened. Besides, if God didn't exist, we would have never had Jim. We did. God does. Remember my Brother/Cousin, my friend, think of him fondly and glorify God's name.

Editor's Note:
    The entire staff of Dragonmount.com would like to extend its most deepest sympathies to Robert Jordan's family. He touched all of our lives in some way and we wish him the rest and peace he deserves. We will be posting information in the near future about where you can send condolences. Please check the News Section for these updates.

(I didn't like the last couple of books... but... *sniff* I wanted to finish the series.)

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

I told my sister that the guy would probably die before he finished the book series (I didn't even know he was ill)... I was right! She and all her friends that read his books will be devastated.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INTJ

Damnit! This is the Wheel of Time author right?
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I told my sister that the guy would probably die before he finished the book series (I didn't even know he was ill)... I was right! She and all her friends that read his books will be devastated.
    I didn't even know he was going to end his series any time soon.

(And people think me or BW is wordy...! Yeesh.)

But I'm sorry to hear this. Did he have cancer? I wasn't aware he was even sick. How old was he?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

I heard about this earlier on today, sad news indeed, and before he had finished his series.

I have heard his wife is the one who will finish off the series now.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I didn't even know he was going to end his series any time soon.
    I didn't think he'd end them ever. "Soon" is almost comical. My sister estimated he was really no more than 1/4 to 1/3rd of the way into the series based on the rate the story went through the first 11 books.

(And people think me or BW is wordy...! Yeesh.)
    Yeah, really. That guy made some of the most outrageously-verbose trash-fiction writers look downright terse (the horrible things you'll read when bored sometimes).

But I'm sorry to hear this. Did he have cancer? I wasn't aware he was even sick. How old was he?
    Short article covering all you wanted to know from America's soundbite-style rag.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INTJ

I heard there was only supposed to be one more book. Then again, that doesn't really mean soon either.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INFP

Not meaning to sound too insensitive, but David Gemmel was a bigger recent loss to fantasy fans. I'm still mourning him, and the sad fact that we will never get another Skilgannon book.

I gave up on reading WoT series about 200 pages into that winter one. It was a good example of how to let a series get too big to finish. Still, sad that he never got the chance to prove me wrong. I had heard that he was ill a number of months ago, and understood that he had written out detailed notes and chapter outlines on how he wanted the series to finish. I guess they will get someone else in to finish it off, like they got Spielburg to finish off Kubrick's AI. I can't imagine who they would persuade to do the job. A young writer, probably. Not a Feist or a Hobb.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Not meaning to sound too insensitive, but David Gemmel was a bigger recent loss to fantasy fans.
    Who?

I'm still mourning him, and the sad fact that we will never get another Skilgannon book.
    What?

I gave up on reading WoT series about 200 pages into that winter one. It was a good example of how to let a series get too big to finish. Still, sad that he never got the chance to prove me wrong. I had heard that he was ill a number of months ago, and understood that he had written out detailed notes and chapter outlines on how he wanted the series to finish. I guess they will get someone else in to finish it off, like they got Spielburg to finish off Kubrick's AI. I can't imagine who they would persuade to do the job. A young writer, probably. Not a Feist or a Hobb.
    Why?

I'd love to finish it for him, actually. I would take a "John Byrne" style approach and proceed to flip everything on its head and destroy the entire story (a la Alpha Flight), doing the completely unexpected.

That's the only good solution for overwritten and predictable prose.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

Who?
    You've never read David Gemmell? He is one of my favourite fantasy authors, sadly deceased now. I'm amazed that any fan of the genre could have missed him. He is known for being somewhat depressing, but in a good way. He is British, maybe that's how you missed him?

What?
    You'll find out.

Why?
    Why would a major author not want to take on the task of finishing the series? Too many characters, too many loose ends, too much expectation. Well over a decade of expectation. If Jordan had finished the series and it had proven to be a sucky finish (which I suspect it would have), fans would have been pissed but would have had to accept it. If a different author finishes it, however, even if he/she sticks exactly to the outline provided by Jordan, they would have to wear the price of Jordan's failure themselves. People would remember them as the person who "ruined" one of the most popular series in living memory. Better to just write your own series. Sure, you'd get a hell of a lot of money writing the last book of the Wheel of Time, but if you have already made it as a writer in your own right you will probably value your reputation over some extra dosh. Far more likely that a relatively unknown, cash-strapped writer (or Jordan's wife) would take the project on.

I'd love to finish it for him, actually. I would take a "John Byrne" style approach and proceed to flip everything on its head and destroy the entire story (a la Alpha Flight), doing the completely unexpected.

That's the only good solution for overwritten and predictable prose.
    That would be funny, but would earn you the undying enmity of fantasy-nerds near and far. Fortunately such enemies would be unlikely to do more than scowl at you in public and rant about you in chat-rooms and forums dedicated to obscure corners of human interest.