User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Not meaning to sound too insensitive, but David Gemmel was a bigger recent loss to fantasy fans.
    Perhaps, but I only care about authors whose books I've read.

I'm not heart broken over it, but I am astounded how people have reacted. The man died and all you hear is about how he is a hack, blah blah.

Anyway, it wasn't the news I wanted to get this morning, I can tell you that. I started reading his books so long ago... I remember starting the series before I've met some of my "long time" friends! I remember sharing the books with friends, talking about it with them... I remember getting friends into the series... I remember high school and finding out that "the other non-nerdy group" was reading them. I remember going home on the bus and seeing multiple people reading different books in the series.

He contributed to my life and for that I will remember him forever, even if he doesn't survive history.

MBTI
    INTJ

Never heard of David Gemmel, but the WoT series was probably the best I ever read (fictional-wise), seconded by Sword of Truth and Song of Ice and Fire.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INFP

To be honest, I doubt I would feel so free to criticize him if I hadn't been such a ridiculously big fan at one point. I first read him when he wrote a few books in the Conan series ,which I obsessively collected and which formed the cornerstone of my life as a wee lad. I think I started reading the WoT in early high-school or thereabouts. I still remember seeing the Great Hunt on the bookshelves in a long-forgotten mall and wondering what that was about. Sure, I spent many a happy hour curled up reading a WoT book when I should've been doing something else. Sure, I had many a heated discussion over plot details and apparent inconsistencies with young nerdy friends whom I had cunningly lured into the series, and with other nerdy friends who had been lured in through no fault of mine. But.

It really fell on its ass. Maybe that was because of private stuff going on in the author's life which we are only now seeing the end result of. Maybe he just didn't feel like finishing it. Maybe he didn't know how to finish it. Maybe he figured that every book he wrote in the series would be worth a million dollars to him and his family, and so saw no reason to finish it early. Still, as a fan I felt cheated at how all my hopes and aspirations for the series faded into turgid prose and unnecessary side-plots. This doesn't mean that I wouldn't have fished out the earlier books in the series from dusty storage boxes as soon as the last book came out and re-read the lot. But I really never thought he would finish it after about the 5th or 6th book.

Finally...DAAMN! How could so many fantasy readers have never even heard of David Gemmell??

MBTI
    INFP

Finally...DAAMN! How could so many fantasy readers have never even heard of David Gemmell??
    I've heard of him, I walk past his books often at the bookstore lol, don't know why I haven't tried him yet.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I first read him when he wrote a few books in the Conan series
    I read those! I did! I did read them!

But I only got through about 20 pages of the first WoT book before I closed it.

(Did I mention my friend and I almost hired Darrel K. Sweet to illustrate the cover of the book we were working on? We sat down with him at a small restaurant in NJ, before he moved out west. He was quite a character.)

(Jordan rehash)
    It's okay. You still have Terry Brooks and the Shannara franchise.

Now you have me very curious.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I read those! I did! I did read them!
    I think I ruined lives by incorporating other people into my reading vices. I'm barely even kidding. Still, I've never met anyone irl who has read a conan book unless I badgered them to do it. Nice to meet ya.

It's okay. You still have Terry Brooks and the Shannara franchise.
    Don't even get me started on Mr Brooks. :steam:

Now you have me very curious.
    You cannot thank me enough.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Still, I've never met anyone irl who has read a conan book unless I badgered them to do it. Nice to meet ya.
    Of course, don't ask me to tell you what exactly they were ABOUT. But I did read them. (Along with all of John Gardner's "James Bond" books. Not as good as Fleming.)

Don't even get me started on Mr Brooks. :steam:
    But I swear, he's such an INFP!

You cannot thank me enough.
    I just looked on amazon and did not recognize any of his titles.
    I did see he did a book a long time ago with Luis Ruyo, though.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

Who?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Who?
    What?!

MBTI
    INFP

OOOooo Me likey the sound of that.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"