User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Do people interact with strangers outside of work and school situations?

This may seem like a silly question, but it's one that it never occurred to me to ask before, because I would always stop my train of thought at lack of transportation, which isn't an issue now that I know how to use public transportation.

I always assumed that they didn't, except maybe to offer someone passing by money to help them with something that wouldn't take much effort. I don't know why.

The reason I'm asking it, is because... well, I'm realizing that sitting indoors all the time, just having the same conversations about food and politics that I've been having with my mom for the past few years simply because I don't have a job or an existing circle of friends, probably isn't very healthy.

I'm thinking that I would benefit from being able to go somewhere and observe how people interact with each other, even if I don't feel comfortable participating at first. Some place sort of like the cafeteria in high school, I guess. Occasionally I'd manage to approach people there, but the rest of the time I'd just eat, or sit there and listen to the conversations going on around me. I felt a lot more stable then... now it seems like I have to actively pull interaction from the Internet all day long (particularly this forum) just to retain a sense of my own existence.

It's also come up because I'm realizing that I won't be able to find a job right away now that I've started looking, but the problem of my uncomfortable level of isolation and deterioriating, outmoded social skills still remains.

So I suppose what I'm really asking is, do people ever go places to engage in non-goal oriented interaction, simply because they feel like interacting with or observing interactions with people? And, is this considered acceptable?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I live in a relatively housy town. Interaction such as greeting random people is common and considered good manners.

But other than that. Not unless there is something one of both parties want from the interaction.

If a woman if you're a man (or man if you're a woman.) approaches you randomly on the streets for a random chit chat. It means they want honkey tonkey.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    If a woman if you're a man (or man if you're a woman.) approaches you randomly on the streets for a random chit chat. It means they want honkey tonkey.
    What! That's crazy talk, Fluffy. Ok, perhaps if they actually go out of there way to get to your location and chit chat, yes.... but geez, I talk to people in line at stores, on benches, even walking opposite directions on a sidewalk all the time! I mean, if someone's walking the other direction (man or women) and they are carrying, say, a book I just read... I might be inclined to start up a chit chat on the subject, just because the commonality strikes me as interesting. I'm not looking for Honkey Tonkey, I'm just being friendly.

There ARE places where this is the norm. I think Americans (yes, I'm an American) get way too wrapped up in sexual tension.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

The point I was trying to make is that no one randomly starts to talk to you. There is always an angle of interest, whatever it may be. Just being sarcastic. :P

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I only like to interact with people I don't have to. I dont really like interacting with people when I'm "supposed" to.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I talk to anyone in a 5 ft radius, almost religiously. Each person is interesting when given a chance to tell their story. I would most definitely talk to you and expect nothing more than just random conversation.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    The point I was trying to make is that no one randomly starts to talk to you. There is always an angle of interest, whatever it may be. Just being sarcastic. :P
    *gives totally random out of no where hug to Fluffy*

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Hugs are by default not 'out of nowhere', when it originates from an ENFP. But I'd hug back nonetheless.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

have ya been following my advice, athenian?

Phantonym

Maybe it does depend on the culture? I live in a country where people mind their own business unless it is absolutely necessary to interact with strangers. Or they speak to strangers only if they're drunk.

Extraverts might be more prone to talk to strangers.

There is always a purpose for wanting to interact with people. Whatever reasons people have. I couldn't imagine anything otherwise. Chit chat, for me, is...weird...to say the least. I don't mind if people come up to me to talk but unless there's something they want from me, it's...weird. Acceptable, but weird.