User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    It's okay to exxagerate your application. Remember, you're the right person for the job when you sollicite for it. No one else!

Way easier to get a job when you use that motto. No worries, you'll be able to live with yourself once you find out that 90% of your co-workers are a bunch of unintelligent pigs and wonder how the hell they got their jobs.
    Okay...

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    you'll be able to live with yourself once you find out that 90% of your co-workers are a bunch of unintelligent pigs and wonder how the hell they got their jobs

Yea, I tried to tell him that in less words.
    Great minds think alike
    Okay, then.

Quote Originally Posted by file cabinet View Post
    have you tried doing follow up calls to see where your application is in the process (if at all)? maybe they're not actually hiring or they can give you an explanation.
    No one told me I was supposed to do that? I guess I could try...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, thanks for the replies everyone.

It looks as though my assumptions were accurate, and then some. I'm honestly quite sorry I asked this question, because it makes me seem weird or stupid. People aren't meant to be interacted with casually. They're just parts of a system after all. It's so obvious from the way everything is laid out. If you don't take an interest in interaction at a young age, you don't get to change your mind much later on. All the opportunities evaporate around the time you graduate from high school or college, and everyone else just expects you to have finished with all that, be proficient with it, and be ready to buckle down and move totally into focusing on yourself and getting things done... which I'm already thoroughly sick of doing.

This is one case where I'd rather have been unsure than known the truth. This is, by far, the question I most regret ever having asked. :blushing: I'm sorry.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I wouldn't go that far into the black and white.

You can always stop putting much stock in this and do whatever. Even though that can be a treacherous path.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    I'm not that bad - But I imagine you'd suck me right into a conversation, wouldn't you?
    without a doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I hope there are more people like you in the world... it's kind of comforting to think I don't already have to have an "in" in order to have an excuse to talk to anyone.
    There are! But some people are less desirable to speak to than others, I'm afraid...

It looks as though my assumptions were accurate, and then some. I'm honestly quite sorry I asked this question, because it makes me seem weird or stupid. People aren't meant to be interacted with casually. They're just parts of a system after all. It's so obvious from the way everything is laid out. If you don't take an interest in interaction at a young age, you don't get to change your mind much later on. All the opportunities evaporate around the time you graduate from high school or college, and everyone else just expects you to have finished with all that, be proficient with it, and be ready to buckle down and move totally into focusing on yourself and getting things done... which I'm already thoroughly sick of doing.

This is one case where I'd rather have been unsure than known the truth. This is, by far, the question I most regret ever having asked. :blushing: I'm sorry.
    Your assumptions are not accurate. You got responses from a handful of people, and we are all online.

You ALWAYS get to change your mind. It's YOURS, you can do whatever the hell you want with it. I have changed my mind and my career more times than I can count, and I am the happiest person in my entire social circle. Everybody notices it. Because I put no false expectations on life. You don't have to force yourself into a box, unless you want to be there.

You may need a change of scenery. Come to NY and you will see how friendly people are. Everyone is always so shocked when they come here from Europe or the South, thinking we are just mean bastards. But I've never known a city full of more open, open-minded and outgoing people.

(and regret is a wasted emotion. but if you are going to regret something, it's better to regret the things you didn't do, not the things you did.)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

You can always stop putting much stock in this and do whatever. Even though that can be a treacherous path.
    Ah, I'm not really one for treacherous paths. Seriously, what was I thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    There are! But some people are less desirable to speak to than others, I'm afraid...
    Well, yeah. I've learned that just being on this forum. There are people I like and add to my friends list, and a couple I prefer to avoid who really get on my nerves (there are surprisingly few of these, though... I end up liking most of the people I interact with on here).

Your assumptions are not accurate. You got responses from a handful of people, and we are all online.

You ALWAYS get to change your mind. It's YOURS, you can do whatever the hell you want with it. I have changed my mind and my career more times than I can count, and I am the happiest person in my entire social circle. Everybody notices it. Because I put no false expectations on life. You don't have to force yourself into a box, unless you want to be there.

You may need a change of scenery. Come to NY and you will see how friendly people are. Everyone is always so shocked when they come here from Europe or the South, thinking we are just mean bastards. But I've never known a city full of more open, open-minded and outgoing people.

(and regret is a wasted emotion. but if you are going to regret something, it's better to regret the things you didn't do, not the things you did.)
    I have to admit, I probably do regret the things I didn't do more than the ones I did, at this point. I didn't let myself step out of the box when it was actually safer and had fewer potentially negative consequences than it does now, and I wish I had.

Yes... I have to be honest, I've been feeling very strongly like I just want to get on a plane and go to some random major city hoping things will be different, and there will be more opportunities to do things differently than I've done them here. But I'm so inexperienced in life that it almost sounds like suicide to do that, especially considering how structured and closed off everything has seemed so far.

If you are expecting the world to morph to be a certain way before you venture out into it....you will be waiting for an eternity.

If you believe the futility of something because you haven't ever had experience of it to begin with, and now it's 'too late'...your outlook will be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

If you want to find excuses for why you still cannot take that leap of faith, you won't ever run out of excuses and your assumptions will always be proven "true".

Only common factor in all this: you.

No one told me I was supposed to do that? I guess I could try...
    all of the jobs i've gotten have been because i've made follow up calls and have been persistent. if you hand in an application, wait 3 business days and call to see if they have had a chance to look at your application. if they say they'll call you back in a week and they don't, then you need to call them back and find out what the status is.

MBTI
    SEXY

I wasn't really thinking of "in the streets," more just wondering if there are places where people gather for random chit-chat, sort of like online.
    Socializing is everywhere. But bars, parties, colleges, tourist attractions etc. are particularly easy places to initiate conversation because there's always something to say about the location or action going on.

As an exercise, the next time you are in college, just turn towards the person next to you, look at his/her face and say: "I've never heard a professor talk this interesting/boring." Doesn't even matter if it is true. Once you've done this a couple of times the awkwardness of talking to people is greatly reduced. When you don't go to college, go to a bar sometime with some friends, and when you order a drink, say to the person next to you: "Wow, serving drinks in this place sure goes fast/slow". In my experience, unless that person has something incredibly important to do (read, hit on somebody), they will turn to you and give a nice reply.

That's the funny thing. What are you interested in? If you are interested in talking with random people for whatever reason, then you have a goal to do so.
    We are INTP's. We might see chit-chat as unnecessary unless it has a goal. But most people don't work this way. For a lot of people there is no specific desired outcome for starting a conversation.

This is fearful thinking. Don't point out to me that I usually refute these arguments, but I know from personal experience that social skills CAN be taught. If you want advice from me, pm me as it is to elaborate and personal a story to post on open forums. I'm totally on jenocyde's side on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Extraverts might be more prone to talk to strangers.
    And the open door award goes to... (Only slight pun intended.)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    If you are expecting the world to morph to be a certain way before you venture out into it....you will be waiting for an eternity.

If you believe the futility of something because you haven't ever had experience of it to begin with, and now it's 'too late'...your outlook will be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

If you want to find excuses for why you still cannot take that leap of faith, you won't ever run out of excuses and your assumptions will always be proven "true".

Only common factor in all this: you.
    I can't tell if you're mocking my fate, or trying to give me advice.

Sure, I want to take that leap of faith, but I've gotten no reassurance that it's okay to do so, or that the whole world won't crumble and fall on top of my head if I do. If people consistently remind you to stay in the lines, and tell you that it's not okay to try and connect with people... I'm going to just forget all of that and try anyway? Fear... that's always been what's really driving me, hasn't it?

I guess I've got to learn how to make myself act towards my wishes instead of away from my fears if I ever want to get anywhere, then.

Quote Originally Posted by file cabinet View Post
    all of the jobs i've gotten have been because i've made follow up calls and have been persistent. if you hand in an application, wait 3 business days and call to see if they have had a chance to look at your application. if they say they'll call you back in a week and they don't, then you need to call them back and find out what the status is.
    Huh. Well, I'll make a point to keep on top of that from now on. Sounds like it could be useful to know.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post

We are INTP's. We might see chit-chat as unnecessary unless it has a goal. But most people don't work this way. For a lot of people there is no specific desired outcome for starting a conversation.
    Everyone has a goal, wether it is to get to know someone or to get a piece of information. That was my point.

I realize that us INTP's tend to want more concrete things from conversation generally. But if someone doesn't care, that someone wouldn't start a conversation. Starting a conversation, means there is interest, in whatever way. And therefor a purpose, of whichever meaning.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf