User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Eminem - A modern day Hamlet?

I bought the new album today (Relapse) and I've nearly finished listening to it. I went from the first track straight through and I have to say that this album has had the most violent physical response from me... I've never had a reaction like this to music I've listened to.

I've been an Eminem fan for quite a while, and a few things that crossed my mind amid a few times of keeping myself from wanting to throw up and watching my hands shake:

- Is the whole thing a dream sequence that he hasn't woken up from? The first track is a skit of a nightmare, and it kind of feels like you have never awakened. Has he overdosed and is stuck in a personal hell? There is a part most of the way through the album where they find him near death and overdosed and then the tone changes in the next few songs.

- The album name is Relapse... and I imagine that trying to kick a serious drug addiction would be as hellish as the lyrics in this album...

- The whole thing has a very Shakespearean feel where I keep thinking 'He's like Hamlet and everyone is wondering "Has he really gone crazy?"

- As a work of art, where a true artist is trying to portray something to their audience, this may be the most powerful thing I've ever listened to.

I'm still not sure if I 'like' the album... but I don't think its going to leave me any time soon.

Has anyone else listened to it?

Embrace the possibilities.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

wat
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Nobody has listened to it yet? Perhaps its too soon for discussion :sad:

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

EMINEM SUCKS
    thats the bottom line
    he's got some great raps, but when it gets to the point where youre rapping about fantasizing killing your mother, and raping innocent women it gets a little tiring. like seriously, listen to some of the lyrics on his latest album.
    poor, white trash. LOL

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Hehe, well that's one view I suppose. I'm actually looking for more of a collaborative brainstorming session though from people who want to dig a little deeper than the 'shock value' with me.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Ive listened to a lot of songs off relapse and liked em all, so far. It lacks his old energy, though, and i miss that, so im listening to shit like ace hood more often these days over em. I need me some heavy spittinz.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

lol well yeah, bottom line is he sucks
    i dont feel like a discussion right now but
    i mean like, he's almost 40 years old and he's still rapping as if he were 25 years old. what i'd like to see is the changed eminem. how 15 years of living through all the shit he's gone through since he first started rapping has changed his life. that would be an grammy worthy album. but rapping about raping women and popping vicodin pills? ain't gonna cut it for me.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

so typical of an NF to only listen to things through their heart. It must be miserable not being able to enjoy music independantly of the lyrics attatched to it :P

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

The whole thing is very macabre... but its meant to be that way. Its like giving the audience a feeling of what a drug addiction must be like. Its like listening to chaos, and to the bad side in all of us. What makes people nervous is that they don't want to admit that these things happen, that it IS reality for some people.

The more I process it, the more dumbfounded I find myself. It has a dark flavor like Pink Floyd, with all the political, social jabs built in. Even the one that everyone is listening to know "We made you" is a jab at the audience in that we build these musicians or stars up to be something almost inhuman. Then we throw stones when they don't ACT human.

I wonder what the second part is that is coming out soon... I think they're going to leave enough time for everyone to have digested this one before they release the next. Surely it can't get worse? Perhaps the second part is his 'recovery' instead of the Relapse?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

And... AND! (LOL watch as the things process here) The frustration that you've seen in previous albums about how he can't live a normal life, that being 'famous' isn't what its cracked up to be, is seen to the nth degree. He argues with the Devil, who is 'himself', and can't break free of it. Its like listening to your own darker voices, wondering if the price you paid was too much.