User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

That's fine if you feel that way, however "white trash" is socially accepted for it's intended meaning, which is not a racist one. However, if you wanted to, you could probably build a case against it as being racist and possibly win. I'd recommend the court-system in California.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    That's fine if you feel that way, however "white trash" is socially accepted for it's intended meaning, which is not a racist one. However, if you wanted to, you could probably build a case against it as being racist and possibly win. I'd recommend the court-system in California.
    Saying something is or isn't doesn't make it so. There are connotations to the phrase, and whether you think it's socially acceptable or not, it is by definition racist.

The reason that people think they are able to refer to a class of people as white and not feel as though they're being racist is another question altogether.

Also, I would suggest that there are people in the USA that are offended by the phrase and do not feel that it is acceptable. I would further suggest that the people that do not find it acceptable are white.

MBTI
    ISTx

Some people will analyze and get butt hurt over any/everything. Some black people don't like to be called "black", some black people don't like to be called "african american". One or the other is racist, according to some. If you want to be technical and conclude that "white" and "trash" in the same sentence is meant to discriminate against a race, you could (I guess). Some things are considered socially acceptable or socially unacceptable. Perception is key. Speaking for myself, if I hear someone use the term "white trash" in the context that it's meant to be used, I understand what they're referring to and that it's not about my race and I have no reason to be offended.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Some people will analyze and get butt hurt over any/everything. Some black people don't like to be called "black", some black people don't like to be called "african american". One or the other is racist, according to some. If you want to be technical and conclude that "white" and "trash" in the same sentence is meant to discriminate against a race, you could (I guess). Some things are considered socially acceptable or socially unacceptable. Perception is key. Speaking for myself, if I hear someone use the term "white trash" in the context that it's meant to be used, I understand what they're referring to and that it's not about my race and I have no reason to be offended.
    I do hear what you're saying. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. You're right that it's down to perception and that there are examples when people might seem easily offended. However, political correctness (a phrase that is now villified) only means not using language that people would find offensive, which isn't a bad thing is it?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

The way "white trash" was used seemed to be more of a descriptor. But I'm a poor person to ask, I once faced suspension for vocalizing that the group called Niggers With Attitude [NWA] was redundant.

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I wonder if sensors and intuitors will view this album differently. I would think that the S people would be more offended and not be catching the undertones of the lyrics. Where an S might hear the lyrics and see what he's describing, perhaps an N may look at all the songs together, the flow of the album, and see that he's actually creating something as a whole here.

Again, it is very much like Pink Floyd did back in their day. Social jabs, political angst mixed with dark humor and sarcasm... I don't know that any of the songs on the album are meant to be listened to as a stand-alone piece. They all build on each other as it goes through.

If you pay attention and don't get lost in the beat, you see a downward spiral into madness... its freaking genius.

The lyrics are so controversial though that I don't know how many people will be able to stand back and see it this way.

As a work of art, its amazing. If it were a series of paintings depicting the things hes talking about perhaps it would be easier to understand. He raps so clean and quickly in these songs that you'll miss half of what he's saying if you stop concentrating.

I believe that he's trying to give the audience a taste of what a drug addiction is like... complete with hallucinations, paranoia and irrational behavior. The album TITLE - Relapse - should be a clue. The very first thing on the album is a 'skit' of him dreaming that the Doctor (metaphor for society?) doesn't really care if he recovers or not and is encouraging him to relapse. You hear an alarm clock going off and he's apparently 'awakened'... but the rest of the album makes you think either he hasn't awakened, or that the waking life is worst than the dream.

The whole thing is clever, clever shit. There are a zillion levels to it but people are so worried about the content that they miss the brilliance.
    Embrace the possibilities.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by ed111 View Post
    I do hear what you're saying. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. You're right that it's down to perception and that there are examples when people might seem easily offended. However, political correctness (a phrase that is now villified) only means not using language that people would find offensive, which isn't a bad thing is it?
    Political correctness has taken over our country by storm and it definitely transcends only considerate speech. Being polite and mindful of other races, cultures, creeds, genders etc. is important and there are things one should and shouldn't say in order to keep peace, no doubt. It's common decency. However, to some people and groups it's become a paranoia of sorts, taking every precaution one can conjure up to ensure that no toes are stepped on. Political correctness can be attributed to events such as the exilement of prayer from schools; some schools changing "Christmas break" to "Winter break"; The Muslim religion as being a peaceful religion where it explicitly teaches hate and violence in their doctrine. However, after 9/11 we aren't supposed to state the obvious because it might upset the people we're at war with. Our nation is striving to put everything and everyone on an equal plane (well, accept for undermining the Christian faith at every chance). I've heard of stories as absurd as schools wanting to do away with competitive sports because the pressure to succeed might be too much for a kid to handle . Also, a while back, a school wouldn't let students fly the American flag on a patriotic day of celebration because they thought it was exclusive of the heavy latino population within the school (Southern California).

PCness in common-sense dosages =
    Paranoia =
    Going out of one's way to make a mountain out of a molehill =

But yes Ed, I can agree to disagree with you. I see your position and it's valid, I just don't identify with it, that's all.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

WOW, soz for making ed111 freak out, the term isn't supposed to be racist, and the way I used it wasn't supposed to be taken seriously either.

White trash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Here, educate yourself.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by metaphours View Post
    WOW, soz for making ed111 freak out, the term isn't supposed to be racist, and the way I used it wasn't supposed to be taken seriously either.

White trash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Here, educate yourself.
    I didn't freak out, I merely questioned whether the term is racist (which it is). I agree that you didn't intend to be racist and whether you meant it to be flippant or not is irrelevant. For example a contestant on Big Brother in 2008 was removed as she made a comment to another contestant calling her "nigger" even though it was meant as a term of endearment.

The etymology of the phrase is also irrelevant. You may note that there is a link at the bottom of the page you produced for a "List of ethnic slurs". Paragraph two of the page states:

"Ethnic slurs may also be produced by combining a general-purpose insult with the name of ethnicity, such as "dirty Arab", "dirty Jew", "Russian pig", etc. Other common insulting modifiers include "dog", "filthy", etc. Such terms are not included in this list."

I do understand though that the phrase white trash is only aimed at a sub-section of caucasians. Nevertheless it does have connotations.

I think the world would be a better place if there were never any need to mention race.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post

I wonder if sensors and intuitors will view this album differently. I would think that the S people would be more offended and not be catching the undertones of the lyrics. Where an S might hear the lyrics and see what he's describing, perhaps an N may look at all the songs together, the flow of the album, and see that he's actually creating something as a whole here.

Again, it is very much like Pink Floyd did back in their day. Social jabs, political angst mixed with dark humor and sarcasm... I don't know that any of the songs on the album are meant to be listened to as a stand-alone piece. They all build on each other as it goes through.

If you pay attention and don't get lost in the beat, you see a downward spiral into madness... its freaking genius.

The lyrics are so controversial though that I don't know how many people will be able to stand back and see it this way.

As a work of art, its amazing. If it were a series of paintings depicting the things hes talking about perhaps it would be easier to understand. He raps so clean and quickly in these songs that you'll miss half of what he's saying if you stop concentrating.

I believe that he's trying to give the audience a taste of what a drug addiction is like... complete with hallucinations, paranoia and irrational behavior. The album TITLE - Relapse - should be a clue. The very first thing on the album is a 'skit' of him dreaming that the Doctor (metaphor for society?) doesn't really care if he recovers or not and is encouraging him to relapse. You hear an alarm clock going off and he's apparently 'awakened'... but the rest of the album makes you think either he hasn't awakened, or that the waking life is worst than the dream.

The whole thing is clever, clever shit. There are a zillion levels to it but people are so worried about the content that they miss the brilliance.

isn't this true of all the best art tho? imo it only further validates his geneous.