User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    IXTX

Default Dancing and Music

I've never comprehended the purpose of dancing. Why do some people love dancing? I'm really not joking here; I see no value in it.

As well, music. Why do people listen to music? Whenever I listen to music, it interferes w/ my thinking and hurts my head. I prefer absolute silence.
    Last edited by Helfeather; 09-15-2007 at 11:29 PM.

MBTI
    INXJ

It's music man. Not something you're going to rationalize.

Maybe you just don't know what music you like? I didn't like music at all until I heard my first Oakenfold set in the 10th grade, then I couldn't stop listening to music.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

It depends on the type of dance and music probably, and people will differ in the details of what they like.

For dancing, my guess is that smooth movement and/or rhythmic movement is in general is something a lot of people like to watch. (I know at least that I in general like the smooth movement and energy of dancing.)

With music, there are the emotions a lot of people get from it, there's also that some people enjoy listening to the sound (whether for the smoothness, energy, because it sounds interesting, etc.)

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Helfeather View Post
    I've never comprehended the purpose of dancing. What do some people love dancing? I'm really not joking here; I see no value in it.

As well, music. Why do people listen to music? Whenever I listen to music, it interferes w/ my thinking and hurts my head. I prefer absolute silence.

Well, I don't dance, but music is a gift from God (or the Devil, depending on type of music ). I like music because it gives me energy or helps me relax, and it appeals to my emotions (which I enjoy, because I don't get to see too much of them, normally).
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    lego

I was raised to appreciate music, and believe I have a pretty firm understanding of music in general.

Music exists for many reasons: to inspire, to heal, to emote, to help someone understand, etc. Different kinds of music appeal to different reasons, but an important thing about music is that it defies clear rationalization. Even the most measured, theoretically-written piece of music has an element of chaos about it that refuses conventional explanation.

However, dance has been the most elusive art for me to understand. It is a very recent development that I think I have any understanding of it at all. And, somewhat contrary to Zergling's suggestion, I prefer dance to be awkward, violent, and perhaps even a bit spastic.

There's a scene in a film called Vital that features a dance of this nature. It opened my eyes to how dance can be more than just some silly thing overly emotional people seem to like a lot. Rather, my perspective is now such that dancing (albeit rather poorly and awkwardly) is one of my favorite parts of going to concerts these days.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Helfeather View Post
    I prefer absolute silence.
    John Cage wrote a piece just for people like you.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    John Cage wrote a piece just for people like you.
    lol

I like to dance because the music is commanding my body to do things...funky things!
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ

Music (well, good music) has such structure and theory behind it that it can be just as cerebrally enchanting as emotionally or sensationally enchanting. How could Beethoven write some of the world's greatest music decades after he'd gone deaf: he had an understanding of the impact of pitch, timber, rhythm, structure, and texture that most of us will never attain. Read a few music theory books, and you'll see that there's a vast amount of deeply intellectual stimulation to be found, especially at a very symbolic level. Read up on how much math is involved in Mozart's music.

As for dancing: if you're talking about going to a club and "moving to the rhythm," I can't give any more justification except that it's probably fun for a social sensing type having fun in the moment. On the other hand, there's dance such as ballet, which has all of the same structure/theory/symbolism aspects as I mentioned for music above.

For comparison, basketball could be boiled down to "tossing a ball through an iron hoop," but that's a ridiculous oversimplification of a system that's rich with strategy, tactics, logistics, diplomacy, etc. Music and dance are the same way. Looked at superficially, they might seem superficial. Look below the surface, and there are rich worlds waiting to be explored.

Not that (as a math nerd who's studied music for 25 years, has season tickets to the ballet, and who coached college basketball for seven years) I'm biased or anything.
    Last edited by narticus; 09-16-2007 at 12:23 AM. Reason: da** typos

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Well, I don't dance, but music is a gift from God (or the Devil, depending on type of music ). I like music because it gives me energy or helps me relax, and it appeals to my emotions (which I enjoy, because I don't get to see too much of them, normally).
    Sure about that?

I do believe I've got some incriminating evidence on you metamorphosing into quite the graceful dancer:
    Wackyhut - Hitler Dance > Flash animations & games
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I didn't say that I didn't say it. I said that I didn't say that I said it. I want to make that very clear.

MBTI
    INFJ

I don't dance in any formal way, but I do enjoy dancing as defined by moving as feels natural with music.

I experience music on many levels, but one of them is a sensory level. When I listen to music I feel it change my bodily experience. For example it might physically energize me or it might calm me to the degree I can actually feel my breathing and heartbeat slow.

Dancing (moving as feels natural to music) for me is enjoyable as an expression of experience communicated through movement.

I enjoy music because of the sensory experience described above, but also as a stimulus for thought. My thoughts are more rich when they interact outside myself and music offers a trigger for taking my thoughts or expression to new and creative places.