User Tag List

123 Last

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Default What do you see when youíre drifting off to sleep?

So I spent the weekend camping with my GF and 6 of her friends, and one of the girls there spoke about the imagery she sees in her minds eye as she drifts off to sleep. I was startled by this, because I have similar Ďvisionsí. Itís as if the Ďsnow stormí of light pixels that are floating around when I close my eyes congeal into shapes that my brain interprets as meaningful. These usually take the form of creepy things like ghouls or demons, or strange faces. I cannot control the content in anyway, and sometimes it is somewhat disturbing. In fact, itís never anything but disturbing. There has never been even a single fluffy bunny.
    Iíve never mentioned this to anyone before, so it was really interesting to hear someone elseís words so accurately describe my experience. I asked another friend about it yesterday and he said the same thing. Is this a common experience?

So: what do you see when youíre drifting off to sleep?

Phantonym

In my case, it's not so much what I see but what I feel. I can't recall seeing anything unusual. It's like I can feel myself "leaving" the body or drifting off to somewhere else. Almost like I'm watching myself from up above and I know it but it feels very nice so I succumb to it. Hello, Dreamland

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    In my case, it's not so much what I see but what I feel. I can't recall seeing anything unusual. It's like I can feel myself "leaving" the body or drifting off to somewhere else. Almost like I'm watching myself from up above and I know it but it feels very nice so I succumb to it. Hello, Dreamland
    Both of the people I spoke to about this stated that they see disturbing imagery, and little or nothing else. I know that all three of us had pretty traumatic experiences growing up, and I wonder if there is a connection between those early experiences of fear/emotional pain/anger may contribute to this phenomenon.
    I hope I'm not prying with this question, but how would you characterize your own childhood?

MBTI
    INTP

Often as I drift off to sleep, I'm plagued with the memories of all the terrible deeds I've committed throughout my life.
    I know a girl, she's one of a kind
    But the poor little thing, she's going out of her mind
    There's something you forgot - there's a reason why she's lost
    Cos baby she don't want to be found

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Wilson View Post
    Often as I drift off to sleep, I'm plagued with the memories of all the terrible deeds I've committed throughout my life.
    I had that more intensely when I was younger. My brain seemed to analyze every single little detail that happened during the same day and in the past. All the scenarios of how I should have or could have done differently passed before my eyes. It always took me more than an hour to fall asleep.

It's not that intense anymore but if I've had a rough day, the brain needs a bit more time to unwind.

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    And why would the mind generate this kind of imagery? His contension is that it's just random, just the brain blowing off steam, but if that's all it is, why don't I see, say scenes from the day, or anything at all related to what I experienced? the images seem random, yet thematically connected, and consistently so. If it was some discharge of synaptic energy built up during waking hours, why is it released in this way?
    Maybe it's about something more deeper than the everyday stuff? The things people do during the day get all mixed up with some subconscious material that has been suppressed (perhaps since childhood). Or this is the brain's way of interpreting the pressure felt during the day and instead of scenes from the day, it manifests itself in the form of disturbing imagery.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Maybe it's about something more deeper than the everyday stuff? The things people do during the day get all mixed up with some subconscious material that has been suppressed (perhaps since childhood). Or this is the brain's way of interpreting the pressure felt during the day and instead of scenes from the day, it manifests itself in the form of disturbing imagery.
    that's kind of where I'm headed with this too. I'd like to hear from more people. I want to know how common this is. I suspect that it is fairly common, and if that turns out to be the case, what do others see? There must be variation in content.
    But I really like your hypothesis...I'm gonna 'T' about this.

Phantonym

I'm gonna 'T' about this.
    By all means, "T" away

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

I see diagrams, charts, boards, patterns, numbers, circles, and buildings (architecture).

MBTI
    I

So I spent the weekend camping with my GF and 6 of her friends, and one of the girls there spoke about the imagery she sees in her minds eye as she drifts off to sleep. I was startled by this, because I have similar Ďvisionsí. Itís as if the Ďsnow stormí of light pixels that are floating around when I close my eyes congeal into shapes that my brain interprets as meaningful. These usually take the form of creepy things like ghouls or demons, or strange faces. I cannot control the content in anyway, and sometimes it is somewhat disturbing. In fact, itís never anything but disturbing. There has never been even a single fluffy bunny.
    Iíve never mentioned this to anyone before, so it was really interesting to hear someone elseís words so accurately describe my experience. I asked another friend about it yesterday and he said the same thing. Is this a common experience?
    I know exactly what you mean, I used to get those at one point a while back, it didn't happen too often though.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

i am curious, are these things you see minutes before you go to sleep?
    or at the moment you are actually falling asleep?