User Tag List

First 3456 Last

garbage

Everyone needs to go out and read and listen to lots and lots of Dave Ramsey.

I never keep a balance on my credit card. In fact, I never use it anymore. I instead use the debit card for all of my purchases out of convenience. Why is it convenient? I then have one central website, my bank's, that tells me about all of my financial transactions. I download the records from there and run them through my own automatic budgeting system, which basically tells me how much I'm spending and where it's going.

Everything's paid off.. and I mean everything. I don't even have so much as a mortgage. I worked and saved an insane amount of hours during my university days, took some risks, and had some investments paid off. (My biggest risk was buying my place when I didn't even have a job, banking on actually getting one!)

As a result, I've transitioned into a system where, basically, I just buy what I want, and damn the price. It just so happens that I don't have many extravagant "wants," though I'm more leisurely than I've ever been, so this works pretty well. If my budgeting system tells me that I'm spending too much (which hasn't happened yet, but it may), I just start buying less stuff.

I've never felt so free as I do right now.

I will not take on any further financial obligations, such as children, until I'm damn sure that I'm ready for them and that I can afford them and still be comfortable.

.. my P card just officially got revoked, I think

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_ View Post
    I'm very good with money. I just don't buy stuff I don't need. Living a simpler life without many things cluttering the house makes me happy. I also research before buying more expensive things. I go to the market with a list(mental or written) and I don't buy impulsively. I'm still in college but I'm earning money over the internet and I'm spending it wisely.

Keep doing this. It's going to pay off immensely.

MBTI
    ISFJ

The trick to not spend money indiscriminately is to not have any money. Works for me.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I am pretty good with money which is interesting as it's not supposed to be a strong point of ISFPs. I have a strong will, so if I set a limit/target I will stick to it doggedly.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I don't think I'm great. I am good at managing it. Day to day bill pay and budgeting, yes I am good at that. Investing is more of my husbands area. We sit down once a month. I report and we make changes where need be and any investment changes are made at that time. He is frugal but not to the point of it being an issue. He's also a research genius so when we need something he investigates the hell out of it. We save a set amount from each paycheck into savings and have other investments that are deducted automatically and we don't miss it. I shop smart as well, use lots of coupons. Don't buy what we don't need but we don't deprive ourselves either.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I'm generally good at managing my money. I've always paid my bills in full & on time and have built very good credit. My credit score is excellent still.
    I can save money easily too, but then I tend to hoard it and can't decide what to do with it (in some ways that is bad....won't go into it).

However, I started my own business, and it ended up tanking recently and now I have some semi-serious debt for the first time in my life. I think I've done decent damage control and will be okay if I get a job ASAP. If I wasn't pretty good with handling money then the situation may not be so salvageable. For awhile I was used to just spending & not worrying, and now I have to get back into track-every-penny mode as I was in college.

I have decent willpower when it comes to spending, but I admit that when I am upset or stressed I find it easy to find excuses to indulge and buy things I don't need, just to get that shopping "high". I go into "I just don't care" mode and can justify a lot. I try and stay away from stores when I am like that. I can't be trusted with money or credit cards then . I wouldn't call myself frugal at all either - I like to enjoy life too much.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Btw guys I found a $5 note on the footpath the other day

It has to be lucky! buying a $5 scratchy with it, obv I'll win ;p

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    Btw guys I found a $5 note on the footpath the other day

It has to be lucky! buying a $5 scratchy with it, obv I'll win ;p
    Jammy dodger.

I wasted 2 on a scratchcard the day before yesterday.....what a waste, I could have bought myself a flavoured volvic water and a packet of marmite flavoured rice cakes instead.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

I'm good at managing money. I usually try to save most of the irregular incomes that I have, and those cover my bigger expenses. I used to do that before going to school also, when my parents wouldn't buy me something. I have no idea how I managed to gather the money at that age though.
    The small little things bought out of boredom, or seeming 'nesessity' are my weakness.

Is this a question aboput living within your means and not getting into debt?

People who are good with money find ways to increase their income (from all sources other than work), while people who are bad with money always find ways to increase their expenses and burden.

And working harder in your job and getting your boss's approval doesn't increase yopur income.

It doesn't matter whether you are a big spender or not.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I can burn through money like a wildfire in a cotton field.

My saving strategies are normally centered around a given outcome, such as a vacation, or a new synthesizer, or other ridiculous guy endeavor.

I actually keep my spending profile low, saving on all the little stuff that accounts for on-going daily expenses, and then when a little bit extra piles up me and the wifey and kiddies figure out what to do with it.

My primary pension at this point is through my state job, I'll have (whatever is left) of Social Security at some point 30 years from now, and then I'll have to figure out other income streams along the way. I'll inevitably go entrepeneurial, but not until the kids are bigger. My time with them is priceless, I can't buy it back later, but I'm pretty sure I can make a pile of money if I really want to.