User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INtP

Most of the people I know, if they knew how I "managed" money, would say that I'm horrible with it. I don't budget, balance my checkbook, keep track of investments, retirement accounts, etc. Frankly, I find the attempt to quantify worth sort of offensive and just hate dealing with it - it's just incredibly mundane, tedious, and even just the act or writing checks to pay bills puts me in a mini-funk (until it's over).

But I think that I get along because I just hate being financially beholden to anyone (especially a nameless financial institution). I pay off my (one) credit card each month, etc. My mortgage makes me sick sometimes when I think of how much I owe on it. I think the trick (at least, for me) is to simply not put myself in situations where I'd spend money. I'm a pretty simple person, and other than books, groceries/mortgage/utilities, and the occasional video game or once-a-year trip I spend very little. Just get into the habit of forcing yourself to seriously ask a single question each time you're tempted to make an impulse buy - "Do I need this, and if so, why?" - sure, sometimes the answer will be "no, but I'm buying it anyway", but just asking may give yourself the opportunity to think "well, nah" and pass it by. It seems to help me, anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    infp

Heh, I ask myself all the time, but the amount of things that catch my fancy means that whilst I am debating the ins and outs of buying one thing, my left hand is next door buying something else lol.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I'm pretty good at managing money and keeping records straight, but not saving. I'm getting better, but once I have my eye on a purchase, my mind starts to rationalize making it. "Oh I can buy X if I just do X and X".

MBTI
    yupp

I'm fairly good with money, except when I accidently transfer all my money into my saving's account then instead of putting it back into checking's I use it to pay my credit card. But if that doesn't happen I tend to not spend a huge amount, it might be that I'm not very materialistic and I always have some idea how much money I actually have to spend.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    infp

The amount of books I get from amazon takes a huge chunk of my money away too lol CD's, books, jeans, and other stuff I needed for the random projects I will only eventually discard when my mind wanders off.

I've only just shifted back to buying second hand books, no idea why I ever stopped.

MBTI
    yupp

yeah every once in a while I'll splurge I bought the complete series of Dead Like Me (but it was only $20) catcher in the rye, clock work orange (the book), the veldt (one of my favorite short stories), fight club (the book), and the nimrod flip out.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    infp

I suck with money, I can't save because when I see something I really want, I usually will spend the money on it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    Heh, I ask myself all the time, but the amount of things that catch my fancy means that whilst I am debating the ins and outs of buying one thing, my left hand is next door buying something else lol.
    Heh - I think part of it's just not going places where you'd be tempted to buy stuff - although that's not really all that realistic sometimes. And Amazon can certainly be a disaster that way - especially the "if you liked this, you may also like..." section. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    yeah every once in a while I'll splurge I bought the complete series of Dead Like Me (but it was only $20)
    Oh, now you're tempting me, Purple... I loved that show! Hated to see it canceled.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    Heh - I think part of it's just not going places where you'd be tempted to buy stuff - although that's not really all that realistic sometimes. And Amazon can certainly be a disaster that way - especially the "if you liked this, you may also like..." section. Yikes.
    yeah for me that's bookstores

Oh, now you're tempting me, Purple... I loved that show! Hated to see it canceled.
    yeah it's a great show it has both seasons and the movie.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    yeah it's a great show it has both seasons and the movie.
    $20 is cheap, damn UK prices. :steam: