Senior Member Array The Grand Chameleon's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

Default Hard Work

Consider this statement:

"Opportunity favors those who work hard."

Explain what you think the above statement means. Describe a specific situation in which a hard-working person might not be favored by opportunity. Discuss what you think determines when opportunity favors those who work hard.
    "In the game of chess, you can never let your opponent see your pieces."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Well, to be able to exploit an opportunity often you need to have some money and some skills. If you work hard enough then you're much more likely to have a decent level of skills and money.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Well, to be able to exploit an opportunity often you need to have some money and some skills. If you work hard enough then you're much more likely to have a decent level of skills and money.
    Werd.

Senior Member Array The Grand Chameleon's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

This was given as a sample essay topic in the writing portion of the MCAT. Just curious as to how everyone else would have approached the topic.
    "In the game of chess, you can never let your opponent see your pieces."

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

"Luck favours the bold" makes more sense to me
    Bad Santa
    Time will explain.
    ~Persuasion - by Jane Austen

MBTI
    ENFP

Hmmm... To me the statement means that by working hard, it would optimize your chance of opportunity. But not necessarily being the shoe-in for opportunity. I've known countless of people who work hard but in the end don't get the desired result. Not because they didn't work hard, they did. But the right circumstances ontop of working hard weren't presented to them. As opportunity= working hard + at times, a little luck. As to the last question / statement. I think working hard is always favorable to opportunity. Working hard is the +1 extra that would bring you a step closer to opportunity than not working hard. I mean, if you really had the desire for something, would you want that extra +1. Its like... ohhh I'm going to fight that one toed monster with my dinky sword.... but say if I were to make a new, leet sword first.. then maybe I could stand some sort of chance against the monster. =D. I dunno thats just how I see it lol.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

to me, opportunity will come when it comes regardless of whether you are working hard or not.
    but if you are working hard, then you will be conditioned to react quicker and more decisively when opportunity presents itself.

MBTI
    INTP

In regard to the question of when opportunity does not favor hard work:

There are indeed times, trying times, when we find little reason to believe in a divine sense of fair play.

Many scientists compete for their research publications to be given light and acceptance from their peers and community. To do this, they must put months and years of effort into their work, attacking the issue from all reasonably foreseeable and significant angles, and distill their spent time into a paper which, if deemed unacceptable or uninteresting under the scrutiny of reviewers, may barely be recognized.

Entrepreneurs, fresh with ideas and gusto, jump into their business based on their analyses of current market trends, their prowess with establishing web sites, and their growing list of contacts and clients. They may or may not have just graduated with an MBA, but they are go-getters, sharp and attentive in the pursuit of becoming successful. However, the market is tumultuous, as there are many competitors in same or related fields. It is also at the mercy of political influences ranging from local to international scales of changes in trends, restrictions, etc. The latest economy has not been friendly to most business owners, and one cannot rationally assume that all who have lost their jobs have failed due to incompetence, since they at one time did take the initiative to establish themselves in the market in the first place.

While not to the same degree of the previous examples, many of us experience our own examples of opportunity not favoring us despite our putting our best selves forward. It seems to suggest that there is no rational basis for which one ought to put a full effort into a task, since opportunity itself is affected by influences beyond an individual's control and breadth.

However, when accepting the fact that opportunities can potentially lead to failure, one can then accept the equal and opposite fact that it can lead to success. It is far easier to fail when we do not have motivation, attention, and ability to compete, and so we are tempted to avoid that altogether by not attempting. Yet, if one can see that losing is easier than winning, one can appreciate the significance of each success. The very fact that the odds do not often favor successes, I believe, motivates the successful.

When playing the UFO doll catcher game at an arcade, everyone playing has the same odds of picking up a doll, and there's usually one or two that can be picked up. However, most will not be able to, either because they lack the skill, patience, or quarters to win. Those who pick it up are either lucky, or have put in the effort to learn the right techniques and have saved up enough quarters to play repeatedly until they win. Those who repeatedly pick up the dolls at the arcade are the latter.

Even on larger scales, this remains true. Scientists who continue pursuing their work, refining and redefining their research, have a higher chance of having their papers published and acknowledged than those who fail to adapt and lack focus. Entrepreneurs who are determined to succeed may take financial losses along the way, but will continue to pursue success where others may not, and this favors those who persevere.

Thus, opportunity may not always favor those who work hard, but those who work hard will always have a higher potential for success.
    Last edited by Kangol; 06-17-2009 at 11:53 AM. Reason: fix errors

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Working hard/diligently increases the chance of fortunate outcome because you've left less to fate and done your own leg work. If things fail, it's a good gamble that it was through no fault of your own. Having said that, I've worked myself to the breaking point many times and gotten very little pay out, which I think illustrates the "life isn't fair" tenet.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Senior Member Array

I'd say the statement is utter bullshit. Performance matters, not work. You should accept all people the way they are, work is not a useful criterion.