User Tag List

123 Last

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Default Brits! Give it to me straight, What's it like in the U.K?

I'm pondering moving to the U.K, mostly as I'm having trouble finding a job here in OZ, and I have been assured there is plenty of work for me in the U.K. still. So in the name of research, I want to know what the general situation in the u.k. is? Your help and opinions would appreciated.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESFJ

Before i give you my honest opinion. What is your profession? and where are you thinking of moving to in the UK?
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ENTJ

Follow up questions:

1. What field (in general)?
    2. I am assuming you mean London - if you don't, say so, cuz 'London' and 'the rest of the UK' can be quite different on a lot of levels.

I am a half-assed UKer (haven't lived there for a few years but have on and off my whole life) but I'll try to give you some answers if it's a field I have any knowledge of.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    ENTJ

Ha, Saslou, I hadnt seen your post before I posted - seems we asked exactly the same 2 questions.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Don't do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENTP

From the immigrant's point of view...

Good points:
    1. Generally accepting population, not fazed by foreigners
    2. Lots of history and easy to travel to other European countries
    3. Decline in national school standards means it's getting easier for foreigners to get jobs as Brit kids are leaving school with no skills or relevant knowledge
    4. Lots of international communities so you're never the lone expat
    5. The food's got a hell of a lot better in the last 20 years and there's a great variety of very good food available
    6. Eccentricity isn't really a problem
    7. There are laws that prevent you from being mercilessly exploited by employers, and there is a legal minimum wage and depending on circumstances, there's a chance that if you fall on hard times and can't earn enough, the welfare system will top you up to enough income to live on until you get back on your feet (in theory)
    8. For EU citizens, there's free medical care

Bad points:
    1. The weather (it's June and pissing down with rain outside; I have my heaters on)
    2. High cost of living
    3. Extremely high taxes
    4. Homes are very small, have very small gardens/outside spaces and have fewer facilities compared to what Americans are used to
    5. Traffic regulations are often bizarre and absurd
    6. Public transport is truly appalling
    7. Can be very difficult to make friends unless you are very gregarious and determined - people are extremely hesitant to talk to strangers and can seem rude and abrupt (especially in stores) compared to what Americans are often used to
    8. Although being foreign isn't a problem as much in the job market, if you want anything above minimum wage level you need quite a bit of education and experience unless you have some very good contacts to put in words for you
    9. The country tends towards OTT bureaucracy and red tape that can strangle and choke initiatives and enterprises before they begin

Hmm... I can probably think of more on both good and bad sides, if I do I'll let you know!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Don't do it.

Agreed. I'm still trying to get out of this place lol.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

The only place more stuffy and gray than the U.K. is inside Queen Elizabeth's snatch.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Bad points:
    1. The weather (it's June and pissing down with rain outside; I have my heaters on)
    2. High cost of living
    3. Extremely high taxes
    4. Homes are very small, have very small gardens/outside spaces and have fewer facilities compared to what Americans are used to
    5. Traffic regulations are often bizarre and absurd
    6. Public transport is truly appalling
    7. Can be very difficult to make friends unless you are very gregarious and determined - people are extremely hesitant to talk to strangers and can seem rude and abrupt (especially in stores) compared to what Americans are often used to
    8. Although being foreign isn't a problem as much in the job market, if you want anything above minimum wage level you need quite a bit of education and experience unless you have some very good contacts to put in words for you
    9. The country tends towards OTT bureaucracy and red tape that can strangle and choke initiatives and enterprises before they begin

Hmm... I can probably think of more on both good and bad sides, if I do I'll let you know!
    I cant believe i am going to try and justify this as i spent 5 years saving to get out of this hell hole. (my opinion anyway)

1 - Weather, we have just had a mini heatwave. I am golden brown. Granted the weather is crap at the moment and i did earlier turn on the heating for 5 mins. It has stopped raining now though.

No comments on 2 - 6.

7 - I have the best conversations with strangers. I went to get some more RAM for my computer today and i waited whilst he sorted it all out for me. We were chatting away for a good 40 mins, never met him before in my life. I was talking to some stranger the other day in a shop about my tattoo on my wrist and what it meant. Recently i was in a pub waiting for a friend to come and for 55 mins i was talking to some stranger and no my friend didn't turn up.
    Yes there are some people who are so rude it isn't funny.
    I find on a whole though compared to Canada with their potentious stuck up lot, here you have all classes muddling together whereas over there its each to their own.

8 - Thats why i asked about the profession. Getting a job here is not good at the moment. I am applying for everything and anything and they are not even writing to tell me i haven't made the interview process.

9 - I am not going to go there with the red tape bureaucracy bullshit. All Politicians must die.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post

7 - I have the best conversations with strangers. I went to get some more RAM for my computer today and i waited whilst he sorted it all out for me. We were chatting away for a good 40 mins, never met him before in my life. I was talking to some stranger the other day in a shop about my tattoo on my wrist and what it meant. Recently i was in a pub waiting for a friend to come and for 55 mins i was talking to some stranger and no my friend didn't turn up.
    Maybe that is an esfj thing, my esfj friend talks to everyone, she is always stopping to talk to random strangers, shops, bus stops, pubs, outside the school. I think it's awesome and I envy the ease with which she handles these situations, but I'm not as good or as open to it as she is.

I think another type, like the OP being an INFP, wouldn't find it as easy.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari