User Tag List

First 123

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

To answer Kangirl and Saslou,
    I'm headed back into the medical laboratories, as a MLSO - I have to get my professional registration sorted out first though, and it will be agency work.
    It would intially be London I'm headed, but where ever the work takes me.

So you guys know, I'm a kiwi, and I think half my home town is in London, including one of my best friends, and I have family over there, as well as citizenship...so the visa hoop jumping isn't going to apply, and I think I have a resonable support network, better than I intially had in Australia.
    I'm also looking at going back to school there as well, but that's a ways down the track, right now.
    I'm not especially worried about making new friends...I've done the whole moving country thing several times in my life, I am however terrified of culture shock. Every time I move countries, I'm flying blind for about three months....
    I'm not completely ignorant to the downfalls of this move, I've been putting off this desicion for years now, I lived in the U.K. for the first eight years of my life...I still remember the weather!
    I am however looking forward to being able to travel through europe.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESFJ

Go for it then. I personally don't like 'what ifs' so good luck and i hope everything works out for you.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    NICE

Bedford Falls has suddenly become Pottersville.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    For the record, I've lived in the southwest (Devon, Dorset) and Kent, as my family is from there, so although I was commenting on London, I do feel I have enough outside-London experience to comment in a more general way on UK living. I've also spent a ton of time in Edinburgh, which is also a city I would describe as liveable, apart from the weather (!).
    Edinburgh has been voted best place to live in the UK. That said, most Brits seem to want to emigrate to Oz.

Quote Originally Posted by FireyPheonix View Post
    I'm pondering moving to the U.K, mostly as I'm having trouble finding a job here in OZ, and I have been assured there is plenty of work for me in the U.K. still. So in the name of research, I want to know what the general situation in the u.k. is? Your help and opinions would appreciated.
    Who is assuring you? Agencies? They're a bunch of pimps and liars. If you have a job, fine, if not, think twice. Unemployment rates are currently higher here than in Oz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Blue, That's why I'm skeptical. You just put into words what I was thinking.

Right now, however, I have nothing to lose, except the airfare. I've been to over 15 job interviews here and not even a nibble, which is disconcerting, considering a year ago I was fighting employer's off.

My only other choice is going back home to NZ, and friends have told me that's only an option if I want to join the dole queue.
    If I don't get work in OZ, those are my options, dole queue in U.K. or NZ. At least I get some writing done either way.

I think the influx of newly returned "expats" is working to my disadvantage here in OZ. I hoping the brain drain in the U.K. will work to my advantage....either way, I have some serious choices ahead of me. I was hoping being a health professional would give me a certain amount of immunity to the economic troubles, but right I'm screwed no matter what choice I make.

Not to mention, that the science industry in Australia has contracted severely, and I'm assuming the same in NZ, for it's economy is no where near as resilient as Australia's, so any trends here are mirrored and magnified in NZ.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESFJ

I am planning on a trip to the UK in September 2010. That will make it ten years since I've been there (I visited twice in high school).
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"