User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Ohhh, well that is a shame. There are some bloody interesting people out there.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    Ohhh, well that is a shame. There are some bloody interesting people out there.
    I know, I just rely on her to fish them out for me. She's good at it, she enjoys it, we both win.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    From the immigrant's point of view...

Good points:
    1. Generally accepting population, not fazed by foreigners
    2. Lots of history and easy to travel to other European countries
    3. Decline in national school standards means it's getting easier for foreigners to get jobs as Brit kids are leaving school with no skills or relevant knowledge
    4. Lots of international communities so you're never the lone expat
    5. The food's got a hell of a lot better in the last 20 years and there's a great variety of very good food available
    6. Eccentricity isn't really a problem
    7. There are laws that prevent you from being mercilessly exploited by employers, and there is a legal minimum wage and depending on circumstances, there's a chance that if you fall on hard times and can't earn enough, the welfare system will top you up to enough income to live on until you get back on your feet (in theory)
    8. For EU citizens, there's free medical care

Bad points:
    1. The weather (it's June and pissing down with rain outside; I have my heaters on)
    2. High cost of living
    3. Extremely high taxes
    4. Homes are very small, have very small gardens/outside spaces and have fewer facilities compared to what Americans are used to
    5. Traffic regulations are often bizarre and absurd
    6. Public transport is truly appalling
    7. Can be very difficult to make friends unless you are very gregarious and determined - people are extremely hesitant to talk to strangers and can seem rude and abrupt (especially in stores) compared to what Americans are often used to
    8. Although being foreign isn't a problem as much in the job market, if you want anything above minimum wage level you need quite a bit of education and experience unless you have some very good contacts to put in words for you
    9. The country tends towards OTT bureaucracy and red tape that can strangle and choke initiatives and enterprises before they begin

Hmm... I can probably think of more on both good and bad sides, if I do I'll let you know!
    Yahoooo!!!! I'm even more excited about my impending departure now. I will not miss the noise and feigned familiarity/friendliness from every jackass I encounter. Oh to be shut out and left alone...I long for the day!!

(and no, I am not being sarcastic. I am genuinely looking forward to no longer having to pretend to care about complete strangers)

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    Yahoooo!!!! I'm even more excited about my impending departure now. I will not miss the noise and feigned familiarity/friendliness from every jackass I encounter. Oh to be shut out and left alone...I long for the day!!

(and no, I am not being sarcastic. I am genuinely looking forward to no longer having to pretend to care about complete strangers)
    Haha yes, the UK is like a sanctuary for the anti social and introverts.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ

possible unpopular opinion: although it has its bad points, like everywhere, I LOVE the UK*. Love it. Love English people especially. I even like English weather!

*am referring mostly to London
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    ENTP

London's probably the least English of all the places in England lol It's certainly unique and not like anywhere else on the island.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    London's probably the least English of all the places in England lol It's certainly unique and not like anywhere else on the island.
    +1
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ENTJ

For the record, I've lived in the southwest (Devon, Dorset) and Kent, as my family is from there, so although I was commenting on London, I do feel I have enough outside-London experience to comment in a more general way on UK living. I've also spent a ton of time in Edinburgh, which is also a city I would describe as liveable, apart from the weather (!).
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Don't do it.
    I dunno,

You won't be able to appreciate what we have here unless you see what they have there.

MBTI
    enfp

i think half the people sings morrissey songs all day and moves slow, while the other half sips tea...

lolz

can't believe that guy is already 50 years old

(im just kidding i never been there, im just being obnoxious)