User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you like the Shaky Camera effect?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • I hate it!

22 64.71%
  • I love it!

3 8.82%
  • I don't care either way!

9 26.47%
123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Default Shaky Cameras in Movies..

I personally think it's the stupidest thing to ever happen to movies. It's a movie, shaking the camera around isn't going to make me think it's any more real.

I mostly liked the way it was used in the Bourne series. Especially in the chase scenes. I found it a bit distracting in the fight scenes. I prefer the way Jackie Chan shoots fights.

MBTI
    infp

I dislike them, it doesn't add anything to the movie for me, if anything it makes it harder to concentrate on the movie because I have to keep trying to recentre my view.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Depends. I liked it in the Bourne movies. I hated it in Cloverfield.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I prefer the way Jackie Chan shoots fights.
    Yes.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

It depends. If it's done right, it can work well (though this tends to happen rarely). Most of the time it's just distracting.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm really not sure about this but I reckon camera direction is and remains a fairly naive art. My amateur view seems to tell me often that there is or always was going to be some perfect way to use the camera so that the motion of the scene is amplified and transmitted to the viewer. Shaky-Kam<tm> however is generally just a pain in the ass because it blurs understanding of the action more than anything.

Like, if there's a fight scene, I don't want to see the fighter pause for camera recognition of the move he's about to make, I want to see it happen fast and let the camera telegraph it via motion or angle or zoom or something that recognises the viewer as vicarious actor, not fat-arsed theater goer clutching his popcorn.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

It's only been done well in The Blair Witch Project and Cloverfield. Also in The Shield, if TV shows count.

Generally, I think that constantly moving the camera, period, is an overrated gimmick. (Although I like Michael Bay.)

And shaking the camera for the sake of realism is pointless. Realism in the movies is not necessary.

And seriously, what is the point of building epic sets and filming expensive action scenes if the camera is barely going to capture them?

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    I'm really not sure about this but I reckon camera direction is and remains a fairly naive art. My amateur view seems to tell me often that there is or always was going to be some perfect way to use the camera so that the motion of the scene is amplified and transmitted to the viewer. Shaky-Kam<tm> however is generally just a pain in the ass because it blurs understanding of the action more than anything.
    Camera direction is not a naive art. It is a highly technical and specialized field. Cinematographers are the golden boys/girls of the industry. The problem is bad directors. Often times you get someone who comes from acting, or screenwriting backgrounds and knows nothing about cinema. The director is supposed to be the leader of all the crews but most don't know squat about the tech aspects of film making, so they give bad direction.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    It's only been done well in The Blair Witch Project
    Oh man, don't remind me. I saw the movie like 10 years ago and I still get headaches when even thinking about it.

Generally, I think that constantly moving the camera, period, is an overrated gimmick.
    Agreed, but I voted that I don't care either way. If the movie sucks, it sucks. No matter how steady the camera is.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

If anything, I've noticed that at least in action movies, it's a cheap way to get a PG-13 rating when your movie content would get an R rating if your audience could actually see what was happening. Also it tends to disguise poor choreography of action sequences. I think quality of the film typically always suffers when you cannot tell what's going on, but I can see reasons as to why it's done.