User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you like the Shaky Camera effect?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • I hate it!

22 64.71%
  • I love it!

3 8.82%
  • I don't care either way!

9 26.47%
First 456

MBTI
    ENFP

Some of the views expressed in this discussion makes me curious:

You guys that hate shaky camera no matter how, why and by whom it's used, do you also discuss paintings and sculptures and novels and music and stageplays and dance like this?

I ask, because you seem to judge cinema like traditionalists judged impressionist, expressionist, abstract art and other modernist developments of painting like, some 100 years back? The sentiments back then were also like "It doesn't represent the motive like I'm used to see it, it doesn't look like anything I know, it's not pleasant to look at (and I've paid so it must please me), I don't understand what it means, it doesn't make its means of aesthetic production invisible to make me stay in the illusion etc. THUS: it is bad art. Or degenerate art. Or not art at all.

Such views on painting still exist, mind you. People will get a photo of their pets or their children enlarged, idyllised with some brushed edges and red cheeks and printed onto a canvas to simulate the texture of a real oil painting. And then they'll be proud to show their good taste by hanging it above the couch in the living room. Preferably in a fake golden frame.

Do you do this as well concerning your taste of artworks in general or is it only when relating to cinematography that a certain - eh... simplism - becomes tempting in justifying a taste for recognizable, conventional storytelling reproducing trivial representations of 'things' and 'actions' and 'bodies' as we know them?

How about cinema as artistic expression and invention of relations between image, movement and time?

I guess my curiosity is this: Does your no-matter-what-when-who-why hate of non-representational elements in movies express a general anti-modernism of yours or, if not, for what reasons would you restrict this aesthetic rationale to cinematic art only?

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Heart&Brain View Post
    Such views on painting still exist, mind you. People will get a photo of their pets or their children enlarged, idyllised with some brushed edges and red cheeks and printed onto a canvas to simulate the texture of a real oil painting. And then they'll be proud to show their good taste by hanging it above the couch in the living room. Preferably in a fake golden frame.
    :yim_rolling_on_the_

(good question, btw)

Heart&Brain, that is a good observation. You can't shoot a narrative film like a documentary. The camera is a storyteller as much as any director or actor.

And Noz...Frank Miller? Really?
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj-x9ygQEGA"]literal film making[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I hate it when it's distracting. And it often is. I shouldn't be wondering why the camera's shaking so much- camera movements should serve the story! (And boy I laugh when they call it "steady cam".)