User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you like the Shaky Camera effect?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • I hate it!

22 64.71%
  • I love it!

3 8.82%
  • I don't care either way!

9 26.47%
First 3456 Last

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    but the movement is much different when there's a brain sitting behind the eyes interpretting the data than when there's just a camera swinging around.
    true! whenever you move your eyes or rotate your head around (with your own muscles), your brain "accounts" for it by suspending/suppressing certain neural pathways. If you move your eyes around naturally to inspect the environment, there's no disorientation, but if you poke your eye from the side gently, and move it in and out rapidly enough, you will get disoriented or dizzy because its an "unnatural" movement of visual stimulii that the brain isn't "ready" for. It's the same damn thing with a shaky camera - real people might "move" like that from the camera's POV, but that's not what they experience. It's just a bunch of bullshit that some Hollywood morons who know nothing about human perception or neurophysiology think is "cool and real"

Movies are about stylizing. If they mimicked real life 100%, no one would go see them. The trick is for something to have a ring of truth without actually being true at all, and in the right situation, the shaky cam accomplishes that. I don't think neurophysiology is really anything they need to study up on. I can't imagine anyone coming out of an action movie about a giant lizard and criticizing it on the basis of these concerns. It's like criticizing Road Runner cartoons because he gains traction by churning his legs with his feet off the ground.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    It's like criticizing Road Runner cartoons because he gains traction by churning his legs with his feet off the ground.

sft.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics

Shaky camera? In moderation I see nothing wrong with it. Earthquakes, explosions and whatever else do rattle the landscape.

But... blurred movement? C'mon, that looks stupid.
    ESTP - Definition: "Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target a 120 km away, with an aratech sniper rifle and tri-light scope.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I hate it. I can't see what's happening. If they're going to do that, I'd rather just see a blank screen that says "Tons of action!" until we go back to better scene.

A little bit works for action scenes. But sometimes the whole scene is like, whaaaat? I want to know who died and how, so I have to go back and watch it in slow motion.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

It's good sometimes (Saving Private Ryan) but detrimental in other films(The Bourne trilogy).
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I can't imagine anyone coming out of an action movie about a giant lizard and criticizing it on the basis of these concerns. It's like criticizing Road Runner cartoons because he gains traction by churning his legs with his feet off the ground.
    but im not cirticizing a cartoon, im criticizing "real" action/adventure movie scenes that are supposed to replicate real world happenings, not a cartoon's inattention to frictional forces :P

They need to get the physics right in a fight scene for me, too, or else it bugs the shit out of me. Like in Crouching Tiger, floating on top of trees? that pissed me off just as much. At least I'm consistent :P

And yes, for some reason, Saving privte Ryan pulled it off right. it didn't disorient or make you dizzy. I bet Speilberg studied perception~

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Like in Crouching Tiger, floating on top of trees?
    Lol, that was a fantasy movie, not meant to mimic real life. Perhaps you should just stick to nature shows on Discovery. (but even then, the use of time lapse photography is deceitful...)

MBTI
    Hype

Nah, i'll just stick to intelligent movie producers like Speilberg and Frank Miller that make works that are plausible in real life - you go off into fantasy land now, little girl!!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Nah, i'll just stick to intelligent movie producers like Speilberg and Frank Miller - you go off into fantasy land now, little girl!!
    Man, I wish I owned you for a day and could tie you down Clockwork Orange style and force you to watch an intelligent director/producer/cinematographer...