User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you like the Shaky Camera effect?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • I hate it!

22 64.71%
  • I love it!

3 8.82%
  • I don't care either way!

9 26.47%
First 23456 Last

your resident asshole

I dislike it. It's not like making the picture shaky is going to make it seem like you're there. Who shakes their head all around when they're looking at something in real life? It's just distracting and it takes away from the show/movie.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I don't mind it in action scenes but there was a scene in the new star trek where Kirk is talking to Pike in an empty bar and the camera is shaking as if there's an earthquake going on, it made absolutely no sense in such a static scene.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

i don't know why, but it makes me nauseous if it persists for more than a minute.. the blair witch project, aside from being dumb, was literally the most sickening movie ever for me to watch.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

It makes me feel sick as well and seeing that most people hate it I just don't get it. Seems a lot like airbrushing rust on a Bentley. I just think it's sad that film making has reached a point that they have a $100,000,000 budget yet want to mimic my $400 camcorder and home video abilities.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

did the directors forget that peoples' heads are not stationary whether they're at the movies or watching a barfight?
    it's unnecessary.
    we fukin won boys

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Samvega View Post
    It makes me feel sick as well and seeing that most people hate it I just don't get it. Seems a lot like airbrushing rust on a Bentley. I just think it's sad that film making has reached a point that they have a $100,000,000 budget yet want to mimic my $400 camcorder and home video abilities.
    Yes, but since no one complains when they use the style in video games, producers think that this is the style people want.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I absolutely abhor it, like HATE HATE HATE, and I know I'm in a bad mood of lately but I really can't say enough how much I hate shaking cameras in movies. Not only are you looking at useless blurs and blobs, but its kinesthetically disorienting.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I hate it when they do it when it wouldn't make sense to disorient the viewer. For example, if there's an fight scene, I hate it when the camera shakes and moves around too much. My eyes can't track what's going on in the scene, so I end up feeling rather sick and frustrated because I have no idea what's happening. I want to see the fight! I understand people look around a lot in reality, but the movement is much different when there's a brain sitting behind the eyes interpretting the data than when there's just a camera swinging around.

However, in moments of extreme terror and tension and action, I think the shaky camera technique can work effectively if it's used at the right moment. Meaning, it's used just when you want to tip the audience over the edge with suspense/disorientation, but not for the whole sequence.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Not to derail, but I absolutely adored The Departed. It's hands down my favorite DiCaprio performance, and it's my favorite Scorsese movie since GoodFellas. I have not seen Infernal Affairs. I wonder (both in this case and in a larger sense) if being familiar with an original taints your viewing of a remake. It may be that your brain is looking for connections to the original instead of just experiencing the remake for what it is. Any thoughts?
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Not to derail, but I absolutely adored The Departed. It's hands down my favorite DiCaprio performance, and it's my favorite Scorsese movie since GoodFellas. I have not seen Infernal Affairs. I wonder (both in this case and in a larger sense) if being familiar with an original taints your viewing of a remake. It may be that your brain is looking for connections to the original instead of just experiencing the remake for what it is. Any thoughts?
    It definitely does. I would have loved The Departed (except for a few scenes) had I not seen Internal Affairs. There are many films I would have loved had I not read the book. Any prior basis of comparison usually distorts your view.

Also, the acting was superb in The Departed (except I got a little tired of the same old style from Nicholson) but the story line was a bit weak.