User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you like the Shaky Camera effect?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • I hate it!

22 64.71%
  • I love it!

3 8.82%
  • I don't care either way!

9 26.47%
First 12345 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

There are other factors that matter, but shaky camera in itself doesn't bother me. Worked well in Cloverfield and Battlestar Galactica.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    (And a corresponding distaste for The Departed.)
    You know, if you ever get a chance, you should read the screenplay for The Departed. It was extremely well written. Also the one for Adaptation. I feel bad for screenwriters - their babies always get butchered...

MBTI
    INTJ

Hate it.

But I have bad eyesight so I need a second to establish a shot or else I have no idea what is going on.
    wails from the crypt.

I think the shaky cam is an effective technique but it gets overused. Film is like anything else, people will copy what works even if it's not appropriate for their project. Thus, like Jenocyde said, you get a bunch of movies featuring "bullet time" shots after the success of The Matrix.

I think it works well for crowd scenes, for a POV experience of being jostled. I think it can work for action scenes and fights, too, but you need a director and editor who are skilled at it. The directors who are good at it (James Cameron, Ridley Scott, Martin Campbell, John Woo, etc.) have a talent for staging shaky action scenes so that you always instinctively know where you are in the physical space. The ones who are bad at it (Michael Bay, J.J. Abrams, Michael Bay) leave you confused and disoriented (and sometimes nauseous) in the middle of an action scene.

So in the end it's like anything else. It's legitimate and effective in the right hands, and a disaster in the wrong ones.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    You know, if you ever get a chance, you should read the screenplay for The Departed. It was extremely well written. Also the one for Adaptation. I feel bad for screenwriters - their babies always get butchered...
    I think I remember liking Adaptation. I now have the false memory of reading some Charlie Kaufman book.

And The Departed will never--never, I tell you!--be witnessable as a film of any note. It doesn't have Andy Liu, nor Tony Leung, nor the cinematography, nor the Cantonese language. It was the work of nearly one whole year of my life, tracking down a Cantonese language version of Wu Jian Dao. The lifeless Manadarin dub found near universally across the mainland at the time was an awful, awful facsimile, and therefore The Departed is worse.

I think I may be an Andy Liu fanboy.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post

I've always thought that it too, would make me crazy to have my screenplay changed and tore apart and everything else that happens. On the other side of that, the editor is a magician. Amazing. I watched a thing about editing and much of it was about Thelma Schoonmaker (funny that you mention The Departed). This would almost be the perfect INTJ job, unless the director was impossible.

I think that camera style works great in some movies. I also think it's overused and it tends to give me a headache from watching too much of it.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I think I remember liking Adaptation. I now have the false memory of reading some Charlie Kaufman book.

And The Departed will never--never, I tell you!--be witnessable as a film of any note. It doesn't have Andy Liu, nor Tony Leung, nor the cinematography, nor the Cantonese language. It was the work of nearly one whole year of my life, tracking down a Cantonese language version of Wu Jian Dao. The lifeless Manadarin dub found near universally across the mainland at the time was an awful, awful facsimile, and therefore The Departed is worse.

I think I may be an Andy Liu fanboy.
    Yes, I know. But the screenplay is really good. (I'm a Liu fangirl, btw...). And Leung makes my knees buckle with his smooth sexiness. Is it getting warm in here??

Adaptation was a good movie but a great screenplay. I'm a Kaufman fangirl too.

MBTI
    INTJ

Found a screenplay purporting to be that of The Departed. Interest piqued. Time will tell.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I've always thought that it too, would make me crazy to have my screenplay changed and tore apart and everything else that happens. On the other side of that, the editor is a magician. Amazing. I watched a thing about editing and much of it was about Thelma Schoonmaker (funny that you mention The Departed). This would almost be the perfect INTJ job, unless the director was impossible.

The director is always impossible
    . Especially when they know they are messing up on set and rush through it anyway saying "oh, we'll fix it in the edit"

It is a good INTJ job. Or anyone who likes to sit alone in the dark in a broom closet for 18 hours a day for 6 weeks of post production at a time...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Found a screenplay purporting to be that of The Departed. Interest piqued. Time will tell.
    On basic scan, it appears to be the shooting script which is very similar to the final product. I think I have an earlier version laying around. I'll try to get it for you.