First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    two
    Socionics
    ESE

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Imperfection is beautiful. Perfection is boring, ugly, and inhuman.

Physical perfection is not real. When intimate with someone every freckle and scar is a grace note. A signifier of uniqueness.

Every pore and hair follicle is the indelible thumbprint of the creation in all its glorious complexity. The numberless markers of humanity.

The real question is, what is beautiful? What attracts? And this is simple: youth, health, strength, and vitality. There is no room here for the banality of perfection.
    I don't think that works, just by definition. If having a flaw on your face is better than not, having the flaw is perfection. Perfection is the best it can be, best meaning goo, valued, beautiful, whatever positive adjective you like. You can't say that imperfection is better than perfection because the very definition of perfection is that it is better than everything else. So are you saying that to be perfect you need scars and freckles? I'll buy it.
    -There is nothing either good nor ill but thinking makes it so.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Fuck, Synarch, how am I supposed to fight with you if you keep saying true stuff?
    Be patient. We will inevitably disagree.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kungpowish View Post
    I don't think that works, just by definition. If having a flaw on your face is better than not, having the flaw is perfection. Perfection is the best it can be, best meaning goo, valued, beautiful, whatever positive adjective you like. You can't say that imperfection is better than perfection because the very definition of perfection is that it is better than everything else. So are you saying that to be perfect you need scars and freckles? I'll buy it.
    Perfection is a lie. It does not exist. Imperfection is Truth. Truth is better than lies. Imperfection is better than perfection.

Beautiful because it's broken:

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Yes, but Venus de Milo would still be beautiful with the hands attached. It's not the missing hands that make her beautiful.
    I disagree completely. The broken arms tell a story that a perfect Venus de Milo could not.

Phantonym

I disagree completely. The broken arms tell a story that a perfect Venus de Milo could not.
    Damn. You're fast.

I agree with the story telling part.

But, are you saying that if Venus de Milo was a woman walking down the street you would only notice her beauty if she had no arms? She is beautiful arms on or off. If she weren't "beautiful" would you even notice her beauty?

I'm with Sky is BLUE. I generally buy your argument, Synarch, but I can't imagine how the Venus de Milo would be diminished if it were whole. I think a birthmark or a crooked nose is different from a work of art that is damaged and incomplete from the way the artist intended it to be seen.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Damn. You're fast.

I agree with the story telling part.

But, are you saying that if Venus de Milo was a woman walking down the street you would only notice her beauty if she had no arms? She is beautiful arms on or off. If she weren't "beautiful" would you even notice her beauty?
    I don't see the Venus de Milo as a woman but as art. She would be less beautiful with arms.

But, a similar principle is at work in the world of human affairs. People who look too good are inevitably boring.

Take someone like Angelina Jolie. Many people find her beautiful. She is beautiful yet imperfect. She has scars, tattoos, a story. She lives and presumably suffers. This is relatable. This makes her beautiful.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I'm with Sky is BLUE. I generally buy your argument, Synarch, but I can't imagine how the Venus de Milo would be diminished if it were whole. I think a birthmark or a crooked nose is different from a work of art that is damaged and incomplete from the way the artist intended it to be seen.
    There are many statues with arms that are done in a similar style. They may be well crafted, but are ultimately uninteresting. Speaking of an artist's intentions misses the fact that art lives a life of its own. What the artist intended is important, doubtless. However, as with writing, it is not the work itself so much as the relationship of the work to the feeling it stirs within us. We can obviously separate this from what the artist intended. Also, as someone who has drawn a lot in their life, I can tell you that I rarely created anything that was not a complete surprise to me, no matter how intentional it looked to anyone else. This is what makes art magical.

Phantonym

I don't see the Venus de Milo as a woman but as art. She would be less beautiful with arms.
    Yes. I see and agree.

But, a similar principle is at work in the world of human affairs. People who look too good are inevitably boring.

Take someone like Angelina Jolie. Many people find her beautiful. She is beautiful yet imperfect. She has scars, tattoos, a story. She lives and presumably suffers. This is relatable. This makes her beautiful.
    I agree with you on this one as well. But, you keep making examples of women who actually are beautiful, according to the present aesthetical standards.

Beauty can be found everywhere. But that doesn't necessarily make the overall picture beautiful.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholders.

Don't be too dogmatic with your definition of beauty, because Art is an autotelic activity.

You should agree that people may disagree with you, however lyric you may feel tonight.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI