User Tag List

Thread: Music and meaning

Senior Member Array

Default Music and meaning

I was watching tv earlier and they had a video yearbook kind of thing come on. It got me to thinking back when I was about 12/13 and when music really started to mean something to me. I mean, I always had music in my life but there was definitly a point around puberty sometime when it started to reach into my soul somehow.

I guess what I'm saying is that I had an almost religious experience when I started to really feel music as a young girl. I was really into bands like the Countring Crows, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, REM, Pearl Jam, etc. I still get a little nostalgic when I hear some of their songs. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Ahh, nostalgia. Queen always rocks my socks off.

Senior Member Array Wade Wilson's Avatar

Oh yeah, definitely.

I remember, I think it was last summer, I was dragging myself home from work and I passed by a construction site on my way and all the typical "newer" music from the cars passing by suddenly died out and outta nowhere I hear Big Empty coming from one of the trucks on the site and I was instantaneously blasted back to my freshman year of HS. It filled me with that warm, fuzzy feeling of MUCH better/simpler days.

I went home that night and started DLing a whole mess of music from back then and just zoned out to the memories for awhile.

Glory Days by Springsteen is good for that too, except it always leaves me so bummed out afterwards.
    I know a girl, she's one of a kind
    But the poor little thing, she's going out of her mind
    There's something you forgot - there's a reason why she's lost
    Cos baby she don't want to be found