User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Popularity

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    When I was a mechanic, it was very inclusive. Like a platoon. The guys exercised their right to make my life hell, but were territorial with me when it came to the other garage next door or people they didn't know.

There was bad blood between us and the cadet cops across the way (they were very stuck up and aggressive for some reason). I recall going on my lunch break alone once, and stopping dead in my tracks because the breezeway was lined on both sides with those shaved-headed mean cocky jerks. They started cat-calling/jeering and being awful, daring me to walk the long passage between them. I wouldn't budge, I was too freaked out.

Next thing I know, one of the boys from the garage appeared, sized up the situation immediately and looking worried/pissed, he grabbed me up, threw me over his shoulder, and plowed through the bodies with his brother in front, cursing and trading insults. The rest of the boys came out and started filling the breezeway so we outnumbered the cadets. It was really tense for a few minutes. A lot of surly trash talking.

I was treated like their little sister, and my foreman was like another dad. I felt pretty safe surrounded by male friends, like no one could really get at me and hurt me. Plus, it was really cool working on cars and making broken things work again.
    Wow Pink, you just jumped up to a whole new level of wow factor on my list. I took electronics and decided to switch over to mechanics, because of the coolness factor of a girl doing a man's sterotypical job. But I left after a few semesters because the instructor kept throwing me on electrical problems. If only I would have foreseen the greater need of this, I would have stayed. At that time, I wanted major overhauls, engine restoration, etc.. Its been years now so I don't remember much, although if there is a problem with the car I can usually identify the source of the problem..

I loved your story, it makes all warm and fuzzy inside to know that there are others out there to still protect us. Altough at times I wish I could kick ass like Lucy Lu. LOL
    Johari / Nohari

Enneagram 1w2/Lifepath 1/first zodiac sign Aries/first Chinese zodiac sign RAT/first born in my siblings of 3. Did I forget to mention first?

Independent Director

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Eiddy View Post
    Wow Pink, you just jumped up to a whole new level of wow factor on my list. I took electronics and decided to switch over to mechanics, because of the coolness factor of a girl doing a man's sterotypical job. But I left after a few semesters because the instructor kept throwing me on electrical problems. If only I would have foreseen the greater need of this, I would have stayed. At that time, I wanted major overhauls, engine restoration, etc.. Its been years now so I don't remember much, although if there is a problem with the car I can usually identify the source of the problem..
    I got cheated out of some of my grades/tests too. It was outrageous the level of hazing I had to deal with.

You took mechanics too! Rock on, lady! I was meant to specialize in electronics/hydraulics, with my slim background in robotics, but math is really hard for me! I've have some dyslexic problem with numbers so me + coding/equations = a series of meltdowns. lol Are you really good with numbers?

I loved your story, it makes all warm and fuzzy inside to know that there are others out there to still protect us. Altough at times I wish I could kick ass like Lucy Lu. LOL
    hahah! Girl, I wish I had the gas in the tank left to go all Xena Warrior Princess on people but I'm too tired! hahaha! I don't know where I got the energy for all that activity and drama! I had a girl friend in the garage with me, she was majorly butt-kicking. An ISTJ I call Gypsy. No body messed with her. She wore combat boots. lol She and I put up with a lot of garbage. She got up with me not long after we left the garage to tell me that she'd found a good place where the foremen were really helpful and that the hazing we'd tolerated was ridiculous. She was tough, and so was I, but we were both worn down pretty badly.

I follow a Canadian ENTJ friend around like a fangirl because she's military and military girls are so tough!! lol She thinks it's funny when I make her tell me stories about her exploits and tell what all her medals and ribbons are for.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Sniffles

Yeah I had to study Electronics and Electrical work too during my auto-mechanics courses. But I failed the exams to become state-certified. *sigh*

Phantonym

Next thing I know, one of the boys from the garage appeared, sized up the situation immediately and looking worried/pissed, he grabbed me up, threw me over his shoulder, and plowed through the bodies
    Ahh, how rrrrromantic

I've felt that way in a lot of places. School, work, groups of friends, online communities, etc... It seems like with the people I know, I'm popular, and with the ones I don't know yet, I'm just unknown. Well, of course that makes sense, but I don't try to meet everybody. It's more random than that.

For example, there's probably hundreds of people who would be awesome to know on this very forum, but it's not a direct goal of mine to become friends with them. There's always so much else going on that meeting new people just happens naturally and that's good enough.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Yeah, but I don't necessarily love it...I like to have my free time in complete freedom.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

I got cheated out of some of my grades/tests too. It was outrageous the level of hazing I had to deal with.

You took mechanics too! Rock on, lady! I was meant to specialize in electronics/hydraulics, with my slim background in robotics, but math is really hard for me! I've have some dyslexic problem with numbers so me + coding/equations = a series of meltdowns. lol Are you really good with numbers?

hahah! Girl, I wish I had the gas in the tank left to go all Xena Warrior Princess on people but I'm too tired! hahaha! I don't know where I got the energy for all that activity and drama! I had a girl friend in the garage with me, she was majorly butt-kicking. An ISTJ I call Gypsy. No body messed with her. She wore combat boots. lol She and I put up with a lot of garbage. She got up with me not long after we left the garage to tell me that she'd found a good place where the foremen were really helpful and that the hazing we'd tolerated was ridiculous. She was tough, and so was I, but we were both worn down pretty badly.

I follow a Canadian ENTJ friend around like a fangirl because she's military and military girls are so tough!! lol She thinks it's funny when I make her tell me stories about her exploits and tell what all her medals and ribbons are for.
    Yes I am great with numbers, but get me into theoretical fiqurative equations and forget about it. I won't even bother. My mom was the calculus genius.. LOL

Gypsy sounds like my kind of friend. I had steel toe combat boots, and even though we had to wear them I loved it. Military girls ROCK!!! Personally I don't think there are enough of our types around. Where I live (in Egypt) I think I have only ran into one.

Peguy: Aww, well at least you made it up to the exams.. there's away more chances..
    Johari / Nohari

Enneagram 1w2/Lifepath 1/first zodiac sign Aries/first Chinese zodiac sign RAT/first born in my siblings of 3. Did I forget to mention first?

Independent Director

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Ever belonged to some group or organization or what have you where you have felt very popular? Where you are respected, loved, adored, and everyone knows your name? Where everyone wants to be your friend? What was it?
    Any gay bar I (accidentally) walk into.

Or who were they? Or who are they?
    Mostly gays.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

In high school I was known and liked, but not as a cool kid, more for being reliable and down to earth and having a plan.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

When I was a mechanic, it was very inclusive. Like a platoon. The guys exercised their right to make my life hell, but were territorial with me when it came to the other garage next door or people they didn't know.

There was bad blood between us and the cadet cops across the way (they were very stuck up and aggressive for some reason). I recall going on my lunch break alone once, and stopping dead in my tracks because the breezeway was lined on both sides with those shaved-headed mean cocky jerks. They started cat-calling/jeering and being awful, daring me to walk the long passage between them. I wouldn't budge, I was too freaked out.

Next thing I know, one of the boys from the garage appeared, sized up the situation immediately and looking worried/pissed, he grabbed me up, threw me over his shoulder, and plowed through the bodies with his brother in front, cursing and trading insults. The rest of the boys came out and started filling the breezeway so we outnumbered the cadets. It was really tense for a few minutes. A lot of surly trash talking.

I was treated like their little sister, and my foreman was like another dad. I felt pretty safe surrounded by male friends, like no one could really get at me and hurt me. Plus, it was really cool working on cars and making broken things work again.
    Wow, that's awesome. It's great the way guys can band together like that and protect each other, isn't it? Had the same thing happen to me a few years back. I met these guys online, and every weekend we'd go out, and during the week we'd talk online. They became quite good friends of mine.

One night, we're out in a bar, me alone with 8 guys, having fun and drinking jenever, when I get up to go get the next round, and some guys from another table start insisting I join them and basically sizing me up as a piece of meat. I ignored it (you kinda get used to it when you go out alone, and ignore it), and wanted to sit back down. The moment I came close to my table, and they once more made a remark, loud enough for everyone to hear, 8 men stood up as one, yelling back: 'What did you just say?'

I didn't know whether to laugh, cry or just blush. I was so utterly endeared by their reaction, I couldn't help but well up and at the same time smile. Sure, they knew I could handle myself, but it was the principle of the matter. No one treated their friend like that. I never felt safer in my life
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”