User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Duty vs Mission

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Default Duty vs Mission

What is more important to you - your duty or your mission in life?

(No smart answers like "your mission is to do your duty" OR "my mission is my duty"!)

And no, they can't be one and the same: duty=mission. (Where's the "do not equal" sign!)

Looking for some light philosophical discussion on the subject.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

My DUTY in life is my primary motivation. My DUTY consists of the following:

(1) I will love my wife and children, and ensure they are provided for.
    (2) I will raise my children with truth and allow them to formulate their own opinions of life as they grow. I will foster them with my own experiences but not allow my life to become an oppressive shadow in theirs.
    (3) I will do what I feel is the right thing to do, whether it is popular or not, as doing so will allow me to be at peace with myself and the principles which I live by.
    (4) I will treat all with the same common human respect and decency until they prove to me that they should be treated otherwise, and I demand to be treated similarly.
    (5) I will help the weak and less fortunate in the course of my everyday existence.
    (6) I will help all those who support the greater good, and I will vanquish any evil that reveals itself before my eyes.

My MISSION is to be successful in any endeavor that I choose to engage in, whether it be vocational, academic, sport, artistic, or otherwise. The measure of my success is determined by me before I engage in any activity, and I will hold myself accountable against my pre-determined metrics during and after the endeavor is complete. I will not fail. If I fall short of the mark of accomplishment, I will get up and try again until I am successful. I was not born to follow, and I will live as I must to satisfy the desires in my heart that compel to be at peace with the life that has been given to me.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

So you weigh duty as more important?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

'Duty' to live for, 'Mission' to die for.

... That's how I make out of it.

You name it.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    What is more important to you - your duty or your mission in life?
    I have yet to find my mission.
    Presently, I have no significant duties other than to live my life.
    I'd prefer my mission (if I ever find one) to be more important to me. Doing something that I like is definitely more important to me than doing something I have to do.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

My mission is all that matters to me. I don't really care about taking on duties, but will deal with them when doing so will contribute to my mission.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

What is this duty, this mission you speak of? I don't believe in fate.

Is it a fancy way of saying the things you want to do vs the things you need to do? If so, you really can't pick. Both are necessary. I don't care if it's a copout to the question, it's true.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    What is this duty, this mission you speak of? I don't believe in fate.

Is it a fancy way of saying the things you want to do vs the things you need to do? If so, you really can't pick. Both are necessary. I don't care if it's a copout to the question, it's true.
    That's true, if you look at it that way.

I interpreted it as the things you're "supposed" to do (duty) vs. your personal goals (mission).

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    So you weigh duty as more important?
    Yes.

DUTY is unwavering, it is necessary in the here and now and the future.

MISSION can be long term, or mid-range, or short term. MISSION can be very intense, but it can be ephemeral epending on the cause at hand.

No matter what, I will ALWAYS fulfill the DUTY of my life as I described above. I will pursue my MISSION in the course of honoring my DUTY.

That's coming from a husband and father of two, raised by:

(1) A (ESTJ) 72 year old retired Army Colonel for a Father, and

(2) A (ESFP) 69 year old liberal South German humanitarian of epic proportions, who lost her Father in WWII because Hitler's henchmen forced him (my Maternal grandfather) to enlist after threatening to take his farm in France (leaving my Oma, Mom, and three Aunts homeless), and sent him to the Russian front.

That's where my views are born.

Does this make sense?

Do you agree or disagree? I'm interested to hear your take on this topic.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Halla: I too was raised in a very duty-oriented environment, and place the highest importance on it. Duties take precedence in my life, but somehow in the whole equation over the years, my sense of mission has become ... less distinct. Not lost, but much fuzzier, harder to define. Or at least I feel like I am missing some key elements somehow.

Let me explain a bit. When my kids were younger, I worked PT so I could be the at-home parent. It was a choice I felt was an important one. The PT jobs I worked at were less than my ideal dream jobs to be sure, but they helped me fulfill my duty to my family. I was home with the kids, I brought in a little extra cash working, and got out for a little adult time I guess.

Now, my children are adults themselves (20 & 18). The duties I have performed for so many years raising children (and the inherent mission over-arching those duties to help them become healthy adults) are naturally transitioning. The mission is ... changing.

And as far as employment goes, I continue to work at jobs that fulfill my duty, but do not fuel a MISSION. This is a lot of time to dedicate to something that is not satisfying from a mission-oriented perspective!

And I say to myself: "If I can spend 20 years of my life doing my duty, how can I feel like I have somehow not done a lot of work on accomplishing my mission? Is there really a difference? What IS my mission? Do we have multiple missions? How do we keep both duty and mission in the forefront of our lives?"

This is a bit rambly, but I am interested to hear more connections in order to help me sort out my contemplations on the topic. Thanks all for your thoughts so far.