User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Duty vs Mission

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    My DUTY in life is my primary motivation. My DUTY consists of the following:

(1) I will love my wife and children, and ensure they are provided for.
    (2) I will raise my children with truth and allow them to formulate their own opinions of life as they grow. I will foster them with my own experiences but not allow my life to become an oppressive shadow in theirs.
    (3) I will do what I feel is the right thing to do, whether it is popular or not, as doing so will allow me to be at peace with myself and the principles which I live by.
    (4) I will treat all with the same common human respect and decency until they prove to me that they should be treated otherwise, and I demand to be treated similarly.
    (5) I will help the weak and less fortunate in the course of my everyday existence.
    (6) I will help all those who support the greater good, and I will vanquish any evil that reveals itself before my eyes.

My MISSION is to be successful in any endeavor that I choose to engage in, whether it be vocational, academic, sport, artistic, or otherwise. The measure of my success is determined by me before I engage in any activity, and I will hold myself accountable against my pre-determined metrics during and after the endeavor is complete. I will not fail. If I fall short of the mark of accomplishment, I will get up and try again until I am successful. I was not born to follow, and I will live as I must to satisfy the desires in my heart that compel to be at peace with the life that has been given to me.

Simply put: your post kicks ass.
    Great reading.

MBTI
    ISTP

Not big on either. My only real mission is to live my life as I see fit.

As for duties, I keep them to a minimum, but the duties that I have/agree to, I put my utmost effort into keeping faithfully. Ex: Doing my job, putting in my fair share of things with my family, etc....
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ENtJ
    Enneagram
    8w4
    Socionics
    ENTj

My mission is more important to me.
    Duty depends on family, friends, society, etc., and I realize that I need to perform my duties to the best of my abilities. But duty implies necessity, and what's necessary isn't always what's treasured. What's truly important to me in my heart is my mission: to become complete/fulfilled/enlightened/rounded as a person and to find an inner peace that transcends plain, everyday happiness. Duty focuses on external things, which are extremely important, but my mission is something for me and only me. That's why, to me, it's the most important.
    "Yet, the right act
    Is less, far less, than the right-thinking mind.
    Seek refuge in thy soul; have there thy heaven!"

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

First of all, very nice to hear from you, I empathize with and appreciate your response, please see my comments below:

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Halla: I too was raised in a very duty-oriented environment, and place the highest importance on it. Duties take precedence in my life, but somehow in the whole equation over the years, my sense of mission has become ... less distinct. Not lost, but much fuzzier, harder to define. Or at least I feel like I am missing some key elements somehow.
    OK, to ME, MISSION is a facet of self fulfillment, call it self-actualiztion, call it self aggrandizement, it doesn't matter. MISSION = YOUR NEEDS | DUTY = THE NEEEDS OF OTHERS DEAR TO YOU. Lets' start here...

Let me explain a bit. When my kids were younger, I worked PT so I could be the at-home parent. It was a choice I felt was an important one. The PT jobs I worked at were less than my ideal dream jobs to be sure, but they helped me fulfill my duty to my family. I was home with the kids, I brought in a little extra cash working, and got out for a little adult time I guess.
    I feel you more you than you know. This is the price I pay to maintain the balance I have in lymlife. I am making half of what I am worth, but I am in town, working 40 hours per week, able to see my wife and kids and maintain my presence in their lives, and able to attend grad school to facilitate me rising to the next level at some point. Respect to you for making career choices that kept your WHOLE LIFE in balance, not just your occupational self-actualization; any asshole can do that.

Now, my children are adults themselves (20 & 18). The duties I have performed for so many years raising children (and the inherent mission over-arching those duties to help them become healthy adults) are naturally transitioning. The mission is ... changing.
    YES! Let's refer to the ever popular 80/20 rule. Your life used to be 80% DUTY / and 20% MISSION. Now, in the blink of an eye, the kids are approaching self sufficiency, and even though you might not want to admit it, very soon your life will be 80% MISSION / and 20% DUTY. That is your right as a successful parent! It will feel strange as all hell to you, but damn it! It's reality! Don't force yourself to make the conversion all at once. Take some time, smell the roses that are blooming as a result of your efforts, do some self discovery, decide what it is that YOU want to do, and formulate a plan to do so that allows you to maintain the harmony in your life that you have worked so hardly to create.

And as far as employment goes, I continue to work at jobs that fulfill my duty, but do not fuel a MISSION. This is a lot of time to dedicate to something that is not satisfying from a mission-oriented perspective!
    No shit. I've got news for you. ANY job that you find advertised in some publication has ZERO capacity to allow you to realize YOUR MISSION. You MUST create your ideal job. If you feel the need to train circus midgets to be proficient in analytical geometry, then DO IT! Drastic example of course, but the point remains, YOU must CREATE the job that allows you to realize your MISSION. This is my thinking anyway, not trying to sound like a jerk, I swear.

And I say to myself: "If I can spend 20 years of my life doing my duty, how can I feel like I have somehow not done a lot of work on accomplishing my mission? Is there really a difference? What IS my mission? Do we have multiple missions? How do we keep both duty and mission in the forefront of our lives?"
    There IS a difference. You have EARNED the right to pursue your MISSION. Your family will celebrate your accomplishments as it begins to happen. We keep DUTY and MISSION in the forefront of our lives because their respective capacity to demand our full time and input will vary over time in a predictable and logical manner. YOU must decide what YOUR MISSION is. I assure you, by default, you will continue to fulfill your DUTY, as you have for 20 years. Take some time for you, identify your mission, formulate a strategy for making it happen, and pull the trigger. This is not a dress rehearsal, do it! We are not afraid of our failures; we are afraid of our greatness, but there is nothing else in this world that will give us the inner peace we have always yearned for as will occur when our dream for a given aspect of the world has become a reality, due in direct part to our efforts in championing it.

This is a bit rambly, but I am interested to hear more connections in order to help me sort out my contemplations on the topic. Thanks all for your thoughts so far.
    See above, that's all I've got for now. I wish you the best of luck!

-Alex

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Alex, your post has touched me more than you can realize. Thanks for that.

My life seems full of transitions right now, and I have been surprisingly unprepared for not only the next steps, but how I feel about all these changes.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Alex, your post has touched me more than you can realize. Thanks for that.

My life seems full of transitions right now, and I have been surprisingly unprepared for not only the next steps, but how I feel about all these changes.
    Hey! You are VERY welcome!

You will rise to the occasion, just follow your instincts, and most importantly follow your heart.

Best of luck to you, please keep me posted as to how you are doing.

-The Alex