User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Be a man and stick by what you believe!
    He is.

He believes that his father will cut him off from income and kick him out of the house if he doesn't keep the family customs. His behavior is entirely consistent with that belief.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    He is.

He believes that his father will cut him off from income and kick him out of the house if he doesn't keep the family customs. His behavior is entirely consistent with that belief.
    I see. This is the point where having a job comes in handy I guess.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    How will starving all day and binge eating in the night time help you lose weight?
    You'd be surprised, Sahara

There's been a lot of scientific interest lately on intermittent fasting (fasting for 16 hours, eating for 8) and most of the data has come from studies done over Ramadan.

Of course bingeing isn't usually recommended.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I was wondering -- the fast only goes from daylight until dusk, right?

Then, at night, you can do whatever you want? Or are there still limits on what is (in)appropriate?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    You'd be surprised, Sahara

There's been a lot of scientific interest lately on intermittent fasting (fasting for 16 hours, eating for 8) and most of the data has come from studies done over Ramadan.

Of course bingeing isn't usually recommended.

Even no water, as water isn't even allowed during ramadan, and going by the new school procedures here, water is necessary to pupils throughout the day.

You should have seen the feasts my step mother used to lay out during ramadan, I was so bloated during that time, followed by sweets a few hours later, cakes, moroccan pancakes slathered in sugar and cinnoman? you get woken before the crack of dawn for another feast too, I always gained weight in that period, until I became bulimic.

I'm so glad I don't fast anymore, (Braveheart accent "FREEDOM")
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I was wondering -- the fast only goes from daylight until dusk, right?

Then, at night, you can do whatever you want? Or are there still limits on what is (in)appropriate?
    Still no alcohol, but then thats not allowed anyway.

No restrictions once the sun sets as long as it's within islamic boundaries.

Try being 7yrs old and fasting during the height of summer when the sun didn't set til really really late.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Even no water, as water isn't even allowed during ramadan, and going by the new school procedures here, water is necessary to pupils throughout the day.
    That's painful if not dangerous to go without anything to drink. Yikes. I'm glad you don't do that to yourself anymore, Sahara. I mean, Islam is an okay religion and all, I just don't like that people are pressured into it by tradition, especially given all the health risks involved in accepting it.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Sona View Post
    Actually, you guys should fast with me, think about it, you'll lose weight too. And have more self control.
    I "fasted" far more in college than you ever will. I don't need to lose weight, either, but I appreciate the sentiment. :rolleyes2:
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ

You should have seen the feasts my step mother used to lay out during ramadan, I was so bloated during that time, followed by sweets a few hours later, cakes, moroccan pancakes slathered in sugar and cinnoman? you get woken before the crack of dawn for another feast too, I always gained weight in that period, until I became bulimic.

I'm so glad I don't fast anymore, (Braveheart accent "FREEDOM")
    While gorging like that is not pleasant <shuddering> coupled with fasting there are some positive side effects, biologically speaking. Most notably, HDL rises, and when it comes to cholesterol, the only thing that can be said with any certainty is that HDL is protective of CVD.

I've been fasting (16 hour fasts / 8 hours eating) for a little over a month now and I love it. I'm not gorging however, during those 8 hours.

I can't imagine fasting would be a good thing for you, though. Overcoming bulimia is very difficult

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    While gorging like that is not pleasant <shuddering> coupled with fasting there are some positive side effects, biologically speaking. Most notably, HDL rises, and when it comes to cholesterol, the only thing that can be said with any certainty is that HDL is protective of CVD.

I've been fasting (16 hour fasts / 8 hours eating) for a little over a month now and I love it. I'm not gorging however, during those 8 hours.

I can't imagine fasting would be a good thing for you, though. Overcoming bulimia is very difficult
    I've never heard that this is good, but I'll take your word for it since you seem to know what you are talking about. Either way, you just need to make sure that you are getting enough calories during the day so you don't rebound.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume