User Tag List

View Poll Results: What would you do in the OP scenario?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would stress out about this situation and avoid the neighbor

2 7.14%
  • I would stress out about this situation and seek to speak to the neighbor directly later

0 0%
  • I would not care either way/I barely notice my neighbors

4 14.29%
  • I would not stress out about the situation and shun the neighbor

2 7.14%
  • I would not stress out about the situation and approach the neighbor directly later

5 17.86%
  • My approach to neighbor: I would be friendly with the goal of apologizing/winning them over

6 21.43%
  • My approach to neighbor: I would be firm with the goal of getting them to not bang on my wall again

4 14.29%
  • My approach to neighbor: I would be business like to clear the air

5 17.86%
  • I would've ignored the banging in the first place until the situation escalated

6 21.43%
  • I would have banged on the wall right back

5 17.86%
  • I would have knocked on my neighbor's door to talk to them right then, regardless of the time

4 14.29%
  • CzeCze, you REALLY over think things sometimes.

9 32.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I wouldn't read a lot into it.

On Saturday, our neighbors out back threw a wild party and were making helluvalotta noise until 12-12:30am, so loud it sounded like they were in our living room. I was really irked, but at the same time I just rode it out... and if I had reacted poorly, it wouldn't have really been personal, it would have just been me being frustrated.

Basically, people can bang on walls for lots of reasons.

Bottom line:
    1. I'd feel bad I kept them up / annoyed them and apologize later.
    2. I'd treat it like business, not personal.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I wouldn't read a lot into it.

On Saturday, our neighbors out back threw a wild party and were making helluvalotta noise until 12-12:30am, so loud it sounded like they were in our living room. I was really irked, but at the same time I just rode it out... and if I had reacted poorly, it wouldn't have really been personal, it would have just been me being frustrated.

That's what annoys me though, my neighbours (the ones on my left that I dislike) have parties in their back garden that go on well past my bed time so I'm up in my room trying to read to a whole bunch of noise way past midnight. I don't complain, don't bang on their walls, inspite of having kids.

I play music on a sunday daytime sort of loud so I can hear it over the lawnmower and they want to kick off and moan and complain, screw that for a laugh the hypocritical twats.

All I need is some manners, not much to ask. If they can't show me the same understanding I have shown them, they won't get a polite reaction, period.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Yeah, but if they don't know you are making concessions for them, you can't blame them for not being understanding. You should tell them when their noise is out of hand.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Yeah, but if they don't know you are making concessions for them, you can't blame them for not being understanding. You should tell them when their noise is out of hand.
    Damn good rational point lol that I hadn't (schock horror) considered before.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Yep, true. I'd point that out to them as I was talking to them. With very specific examples.
    Something Witty

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Falcarius highly doubts his next door neighbour will be too noisy as they are like old and retired.

But, as Falcarius house is at the end of a cul-de-sac he has a few experiences what pretty much sum up what he would do if a neighbour made too much nosy. The first was when some guy was was so drunk, he kept walking up and down shouting nonsense to himself at the middle of the night. It was funny at first but he would not get lost, so Falcarius got annoyed enough to chase him off with a torch in one hand and bill hook in other. The other, was when two gypsy kids started having a argument with each other at 5 AM in the morning in the winter. They were arguing whose fault it was that they kept dropping a ladder they had stolen from some van or another. Falcarius rang up the police to get rid of them, as they still carried on arguing when he knocked on window and told them to get lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I'll fill in the rest of the real life blanks after I hear from you! Please include any anecdotes from real life, whether you were the one banging the wall or playing the music, rented/owned, what the building and neighborhood was like, how old you were at the time, what the resolution was, and in retrospect if you would do anything differently.

Thanks!

I am curious...
    If they seem like reasonable people, then I would clear the air with them. Years ago I was less apt to do the direct confrontation thing however:

In my early 20s we lived in an apartment building without air conditioning and the windows had to be open all the time and even then it was often over 90 in there, but that's beside the point...anyway there was this person beneath us who used to play "Let's Get it On" over and over and over and over and over, each freaking night at top volume.

I kept leaving notes on his door for him to turn it down and suggested he buy headphones. Finally one night, before finals I can't study, I can't think so I called the police and they came out and talked to him. Then they come up and talk to me and say "Oh he's just a lonely guy, he needs a gf, why don't don't you go down there and talk to him."

I said, "Uh, I am married and besides the guy gives me the creeps, I am uncertain about him."

That irritated them and then they said well they had talked to him and he would be getting some headphones.

Then he would sit by the open window and sing "Let's Get it On" for hours in really offkey, broken English....Awful!

(If we were in mature folder I would tell a story about the night I happened to met this dude when I was going up and down the stairs doing laundry...what a weirdo he was! I was a little afriad of him before and really, really afraid of him after that. Freaking weirdo.)

Then there was the woman next door who laughed non-stop, without taking a breath (I am not kidding) from 5PM to 8PM every damn week night (it was like crazy person cackling too) and I am sitting there trying to study. What can a person do about that? Go next door and say "Hey stop your damn laughing" Yeah, would make you look like a real jerk. But it was maddening! So I had to wear earplugs in my own home because of some nutjob next door...

MBTI
    INtP

I think that if they're banging on the wall so hard that the wall shakes, going over there immediately might not be the safest course of action. Sounds like you have one seriously angry (possibly violent) neighbor - since it's someone you don't know, escalating things in the heat of the moment may not be the best idea. I'd probably try to quiet down a little first - chances are, that's all that's going to be required. Repeat as desired/necessary. If it continues past what you consider appropriate, call that 24-hour receptionist. That's what you're paying for, after all.

If you didn't have to call the receptionist, the next day (preferably with someone else you know closeby) knock on the door, introduce yourself, and apologize a-la "sorry if we were being too noisy - it's sort of hard to tell what noises go through the walls" - and then invite them to please feel free to knock on your door if it ever happens again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESFJ

I'm sorry, I don't understand your perspective... are you the original noise maker or the follow up banger in this scenario? Who can't hear the banging? Sorry, I'm in a cloud...
    Oh course i am not the original noise maker .. I am far to considerate to do anything like that. . I was saying if the TV in their bedroom was so loud and they are in their room watching it. If i was to go and knock on their front door then how would they hear me. I am not going to hammer on the door as i dont want to disturb the other people who are getting a good nights sleep.
    Thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    Going by that, why would they hear you banging on the wall?
    Well they did, and the TV was turned down. Diplomacy is not a strong point with me. Temper + feelings = do not f**k with me.
    Quick sharp solutions i find work the best.
    I know talking it out usually is the best way of dealing with things but not liking conflict in the first place makes it very tricky for me.

Note - In my current rented property, i only have neighbours to my right and they are so good. Yeahhhhhh.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    yupp

we throw parties here, not huge ones, but we've worried about being to loud (especially when we fit 9 people in my closet to pot closet [it shares a common wall with a neighbor]) and getting noise complaints. luckily neighbor on one side is only there everyother weekend and the neighbor on the other side creeped out my room mate before i moved in and he knows he creeped her out so he's to scared to complain. But one time we were screaming off the balcony and a guy in the building across street said he was a cop, looking back he probably wasn't, but we closed the blinds and didn't go back out for rest of the night to be safe. But yeah I honestly wouldn't worry about it unless the receptionist calls and tells you to be quiet.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so