User Tag List

View Poll Results: What would you do in the OP scenario?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would stress out about this situation and avoid the neighbor

2 7.14%
  • I would stress out about this situation and seek to speak to the neighbor directly later

0 0%
  • I would not care either way/I barely notice my neighbors

4 14.29%
  • I would not stress out about the situation and shun the neighbor

2 7.14%
  • I would not stress out about the situation and approach the neighbor directly later

5 17.86%
  • My approach to neighbor: I would be friendly with the goal of apologizing/winning them over

6 21.43%
  • My approach to neighbor: I would be firm with the goal of getting them to not bang on my wall again

4 14.29%
  • My approach to neighbor: I would be business like to clear the air

5 17.86%
  • I would've ignored the banging in the first place until the situation escalated

6 21.43%
  • I would have banged on the wall right back

5 17.86%
  • I would have knocked on my neighbor's door to talk to them right then, regardless of the time

4 14.29%
  • CzeCze, you REALLY over think things sometimes.

9 32.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 1234 Last

Ha ha, I feel really weird as with all the noise coming from my apartment, no one hascomplained yet. Anyways, I'd just ignore the neighbour, maybe turn the music down a little if I feel generous, but not that much. And now that I notice another poll option, yeah, I'd bang on the wall right back if I were a little drunk.
    But basically I'd ignore him unless he comes to the door, I find it really rude to start banging on your wall. If he has a problem, he should come and talk to me nicely, not bring the wall down.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I have had my neighbours TV blaring till the early hours of a (week night) morning.

I just sat up in bed. Gave it 5 mins to see if they would realise just how freaking loud it was. I got out of bed, picked up the biggest book in my bedroom. Rested my hand on the front cover whilst i pounded it against the wall. The volume went down and i went to sleep. Sorted.

On another ocassion (bloody students and being up all night) me and my youngest got dressed and i wrote a note and posted it through their letter box. After slamming the letter box shutter several times to get their attention.

They never apologised or said anything to me after that.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I would bang right back to prove a point. But then I would also turn the tv down and forget it ever happened.

MBTI
    INTP

I would walk over to their apartment and knock on the door, no matter the time of night--clearly, if they're banging on your wall, they're up. But I would approach the situation really calmly, like I would if a cop had pulled me over. Very innocently, I'd ask them what seemed to be the problem, and then I'd tell them that I wasn't trying to be overly loud, and I wanted to make sure everything was okay.

Never, ever bang back or turn up the tv just to spite them--you will always pay in a scenario like that. They'll wait until you're asleep and try to retaliate with their own noise levels, or worse. Don't make an enemy where you don't have to. Always be the calm, reasonable one.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

psssh, I never sleep anyways. bring it on!
    hahaha...

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Actually, this happened to us. Although our neighbor had his TV on really loud all the time, he got all pissy because we were laughing just a little too loud. So when he banged on the ceiling (our floor), we rolled our eyes and ignored him.

Later, he came and talked to us about it, and we were cool about it, and he asked us to be quieter, so we tried to oblige.

Then we noticed that he started getting anal-retentive until he even bitched about my shoes on the floor and told us we had no right to walk with shoes on the floor between 1-3 pm on a Saturday, which is total bullshit.

So when he demanded that we be quieter, we said no. And then it was basically I'm going to the landlord, NO I'M GOING TO THE LANDLORD. So we said screw this and called the landlord, who talked to this guy, and the guy flipped out in front of the landlord, which was freaking awesome because then our landlord knew we weren't being assholes but he was.

After that little episode of the neighbor freaking out to the landlord, he's been quiet ever since. No loud TV. No bitching. No nothing. Hellz yeah.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I would bang right back to prove a point. But then I would also turn the tv down and forget it ever happened.
    lol. Now that would be interesting as i think at that point i would actually get angry. If the noise is so loud how would they hear me knocking on the front door, and why the hell should i leave my house because they are being inconsiderate tossers.

I am very quiet in my house (unless the music is on and singing for England with my opera voice lmao). A week night and there are kids that can't sleep. Don't piss me off.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    lol. Now that would be interesting as i think at that point i would actually get angry. If the noise is so loud how would they hear me knocking on the front door, and why the hell should i leave my house because they are being inconsiderate tossers.
    Going by that, why would they hear you banging on the wall?
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    I'm sorry, I don't understand your perspective... are you the original noise maker or the follow up banger in this scenario? Who can't hear the banging? Sorry, I'm in a cloud...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I would walk over to their apartment and knock on the door, no matter the time of night--clearly, if they're banging on your wall, they're up. But I would approach the situation really calmly, like I would if a cop had pulled me over. Very innocently, I'd ask them what seemed to be the problem, and then I'd tell them that I wasn't trying to be overly loud, and I wanted to make sure everything was okay.

Never, ever bang back or turn up the tv just to spite them--you will always pay in a scenario like that. They'll wait until you're asleep and try to retaliate with their own noise levels, or worse. Don't make an enemy where you don't have to. Always be the calm, reasonable one.
    +1. Great advice, especially the innocent part. I have done this in the past with positive results.

I was told this many years ago and follow this advice till date -- Use an iron hand in a velvet glove.

Sometimes the walls in these units are just really thin and what seems like a reasonable volume to you may be loud at their end. Of course, if the banging happens repeatedly and they are not sensible enough to just ask you to turn the music/tv down in person, I would send them
    1. the bill for the plaster that fell off your wall due to their banging
    2. the therapist bill too because being scared in the middle of the night in your own home is never cool.
    3. I may also throw in the bill for the lawyer you consulted once to see if there were grounds for a lawsuit.