User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 135

  1. #21
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    I think there are a few things you need to consider:

    a) The Situation and the Words Used:

    1) Sometimes I kid and joke around with people I know really well, and they know I don't mean any kind of harm.

    Caveat: I don't talk about any one particular gender with these words, and it's clear it's for humor.

    2) In anger, mean things can be said that you don't intend because you lose your self-control for a moment, but it's clear you did not mean what you said.

    That being said, I usually don't say words like that. If I say something mean, it's probably something along the lines of "Why are you being such an asshole?!" or "Stop talking shit for once in your crazy life!" or "Think with your OTHER head."

    3) There are some words that I personally hate like the c-word (for women). UGHHHHHHHHH. Even for the vagina and not a woman, I hate the use of this word. Damn. Stop that. That's just subjective, though.

    B) Who It Is:

    1) If it's someone you know really well, and you know the intent and meaning, more is acceptable.

    2) If you notice that someone is just being a total idiot and not kidding, it is not acceptable.

    3) Never say certain words to authority figures or people you must show ultimate respect to (e.g.: boss, clients, etc.).

    C) The Background:

    1) If this person is usually intelligent and educated and normally does not say these words, but is really angry and talking about an abusive ex or something, you can make exceptions if he/she refers to the person as a bitch or a ... yeah "c---". The person is angry and the need to let off steam is more important than having a perfect Fe-moment.

    2) If this person always uses this language, even in reference to the woman/man who he/she supposedly loves, that's a red flag. (Imagine ghetto guy, index and pinky finger pointed downwards to the right and left and the thumbs out, waving them around and saying, "Yo, my n------, I'm taking my bitch out to the movies to-NIGHT, and then I'm getting laid and...."). Well, damn, is THAT necessary?????

    Any so-called man who either among men and ESPECIALLY with women present refers to women with derogatory names on a regular basis for no apparent reason is simply lacking in culture and education. That goes a step too far. Express yourself, sure. But don't degrade yourself.

    Why? This kind of speech merely indicates fear. Fear of the unknown. Fear of risk. Fear of difference. Fear of whatever. Take a look. Most guys and girls who use that kind of language without reason are very scared, insecure people who haven't got a clue, much less a REAL boyfriend/girlfriend. And if these people DO have one, they SURELY don't deserve it, and will probably end up, scared and alone, in their apartment complexes drinking wine and gin, listening to sad-rock 80s, and whining about how men/women suck. Ugh.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  2. #22
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    "holes"? lol...

  3. #23
    Ruler of the Stars Asterion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,334

    Default

    Skanktank could be the latest trend . I assume it doesn't count as misogyny if you're not actually referring to a woman right? I think most of the words are funny... eg. Harlot, hussy, tavern wench, mole. I would never call a female any of these words, I like them because they're funny. Surely that's not misogyny?
    5 3 9

  4. #24
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    "holes"? lol...
    I guess now we can start calling men rods, assholes, ding-dongs, hardheads, cheapos, carts, and doinky boinks.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  5. #25
    Ruler of the Stars Asterion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    I guess now we can start calling men rods, assholes, ding-dongs, hardheads, cheapos, carts, and doinky boinks.
    I love the last one!!!
    5 3 9

  6. #26
    Phoenix Incarnate Sentura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    Like "things" lol but said in one of those "I'm such a cool ghetto kid" accents.
    actually that's a genuine jamaican accent.
    dey speak laik dis, it be deir gene an ting, cho

    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KmrrQAwCHY"]jamaican tings[/YOUTUBE]

    i'm not black nor do i come from a ghetto, but i'll be damned if i don't think that is one of the finest english accents ever.

    besides that, am i the only one not seeing a problem calling anyone (male or female) a bitch? it may just be me because i'm not hyper sensitive, but i honestly don't care what people call me or what i call people. if they get that i'm calling for them, that's good enough for me. i've heard plenty of women call men assholes, jerks etc., why don't you think we shouldn't be able to call you bitches?

    this is why i don't get feeling women. on one hand you want chivalry, but on the other you want equality. you can't have both. why is it only thinking women that understand this? i'm pretty sure that once people stop getting offended, we wouldn't have a problem with anyone being called anything, right?
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

    ...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

  7. #27
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    If you really want to.

  8. #28
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    Skanktank could be the latest trend . I assume it doesn't count as misogyny if you're not actually referring to a woman right? I think most of the words are funny... eg. Harlot, hussy, tavern wench, mole. I would never call a female any of these words, I like them because they're funny. Surely that's not misogyny?
    I think it would be more appropriate to refer to a skunk as a skanktank. Raccoons should be wenches. And moles are just moles. I mean imagine, you're at the dinner table, and you say,

    "Darn it to hector, I tell you, I'm really sick of these wenches digging in our garbage cans and strewing garbage everywhere. And then a skanktank came by our window last night and sprayed his whatever just made a really big stinky mess so that we couldn't sleep. Not to mention the moles that are digging up our garden and stealing our flower bulbs. Ughhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!"
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  9. #29
    12 and a half weeks BerberElla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    infp
    Posts
    2,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentura View Post
    actually that's a genuine jamaican accent.
    dey speak laik dis, it be deir gene an ting, cho

    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KmrrQAwCHY"]jamaican tings[/YOUTUBE]

    i'm not black nor do i come from a ghetto, but i'll be damned if i don't think that is one of the finest english accents ever.
    No, in this case it is ghetto speak, people imitating jamaicans because that's what they do down them sides, when infact they are young moroccan and white boys who have never been to jamaica.

    besides that, am i the only one not seeing a problem calling anyone (male or female) a bitch? it may just be me because i'm not hyper sensitive, but i honestly don't care what people call me or what i call people. if they get that i'm calling for them, that's good enough for me. i've heard plenty of women call men assholes, jerks etc., why don't you think we shouldn't be able to call you bitches?
    Who said you couldn't if it is merely said for the same reasons women tend to end up calling men assholes or jerks.

    Two girls hooking each other up with a new date would not say:

    "Hey hun, I'm hooking you up with this asshole tonight"

    "I'm looking forward to meeting that jerk"

    Usually those terms are used later on in anger.


    So if you are with your mates monaing about your girl and referring to her as a bitch, I'm certainly not condemning that, good luck we all need to vent.

    I'm talking specifically about the example I gave in the OP, two guys chatting on the phone about girls they have only just met and are about to double date with "yo B, got these two holes set up for us tonight"

    They haven't even given the girls a chance to piss them off, they are describing them as tings, objects, and genitals.

    Do you see the difference or are you saying you see it but think it's acceptable?


    this is why i don't get feeling women. on one hand you want chivalry, but on the other you want equality. you can't have both. why is it only thinking women that understand this? i'm pretty sure that once people stop getting offended, we wouldn't have a problem with anyone being called anything, right?

    As a feeling woman I obviously don't get that, I don't get what being chivalrous has to do with calling women holes, or dirtz. Or how that relates to my need for equality. Or indeed how it relates to this thread.

    I'm not screaming out for equality in my OP, I'm talking about being disrespectful for no real reason.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

    DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

    Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

  10. #30
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    I guess now we can start calling men rods, assholes, ding-dongs, hardheads, cheapos, carts, and doinky boinks.
    The problem is that there is a very long tradition of the hatred of women, sanctified by religion and society.

    And there is no corresponding tradition of the hatred of men.

    So to try to create equality by artificially introducing hate speech against men is doomed to failure.

    So the only way forward is for men to recognise and understand their hatred of women.

    This takes moral courage of a high calibre.

Similar Threads

  1. What Lessons/Principles Should be Taught to the Youth of Today?
    By Cloudpatrol in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 10-24-2016, 04:20 PM
  2. On the reasons why an ISFJ Catholic refers to feces as "concentrated sin"
    By nozflubber in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-20-2009, 08:37 AM
  3. To understand the object of study is to leave it
    By wildcat in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-23-2007, 03:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO