User Tag List

First 311121314 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Then, there's the problem, here - as you pointed, it's ONE circumstance, which doesn't mean any thing, simply because... well, what? It has no basis. Who gives a crap that a bunch of guys call(ed) some girl such, or such, and such?

... In which case, that 'case' has no importance to it - and I would call it 'non-existent'.

I mean, what are any of us 'supposed' to conclude that youth... according to BerberElla, do something like this? She's referring to her view on life, so sorry to say - hear it's something 'more' than a one-circumstance issue. Why? Because youth mean something to all of us one way or another - our future, etc. Personally, I posted here to address that in open light, and broaden the subject to what 'normally' happens in life.
    I believe lots of us give a crap. Hence, the entire discussion. You might care if a bunch of teenage boys were calling your teenage daughter a "hole." Just because stuff happens/exists doesn't mean we have to like it or sweep it under the rug.
    Something Witty

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Victor, I'm touched and impressed that you read Germaine Greer and you understand. It means a lot.
    I met Germaine in the Refectory of Sydney University.

And I admit I fell in love with her and thought she was absolutely wonderful.

But I was only part of a larger group that would eat and drink and discourse in the Refectory. And I don't think I personally ever came up on Germaine's radar. But I always smile when I think of her and I must admit I do feel somewhat protective of her.

I feel protective of her because although she has a delightful intellect and a lovely sense of humour and is a wonderful woman, she is vulnerable.

And perhaps it is her vulnerability combined with her integrity and courage and quicksilver intellect that makes her so irresistible.

When her book, "The Female Eunuch", came out, I rushed down to Angus and Robertson and bought a copy.

And I couldn't even wait to get home to read it. So stopped at Centennial Park.

I read it all in one gulp. And as the light faded, I turned on the little light in my Volkswagen and read into the twilight.

And Germaine blew my mind. So much so that I joined a Men Against Sexism Group that ran for eighteen months.

And then when I moved to Canberra I joined another Men Against Sexism Group that ran for two years. And then finally I ran a Men Against Sexism Group myself.

So you can see Germaine Greer has had a profound effect on my life.

But most of all, I like her as do many who have been lucky enough to meet her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Regarding your rep on this post, Victor, you assume much about my opinions (as usual). I have read BerberElla's posts about Islam, and I have always agreed that there are problematic elements in the religion. What is that supposed to change my mind about? That only Muslims are misogynists? Clearly not the case, as we see misogyny right here on this forum perpetrated by non-Muslims all the time.

My point was that this is not a thread about Islam, though it seems you'd like to make it into one.
    I've always thought the thread was about sexism.

And as BerberElla is a very brave women who has joined a group of ex-muslims, I thought my comments on Islam were appropriate.

And BerberElla joins another very brave and intelligent women, Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

Both Ayaan Hirsi Ali and BerberElla provide us with a critique of Islam. And it is a critique with which I agree.

I understand you don't agree with this critique of Islam. This seems to me to put you in a difficult position as a women.

I would have hoped you would see yourself in solidarity with BerberElla and Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

They are both very brave and admirable women and I had hoped you would see this too. But perhaps you are letting your personal dislike of me get in the way.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I've always thought the thread was about sexism.

And as BerberElla is a very brave women who has joined a group of ex-muslims, I thought my comments on Islam were appropriate.

And BerberElla joins another very brave and intelligent women, Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

Both Ayaan Hirsi Ali and BerberElla provide us with a critique of Islam. And it is a critique with which I agree.

I understand you don't agree with this critique of Islam. This seems to me to put you in a difficult position as a women.

I would have hoped you would see yourself in solidarity with BerberElla and Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

They are both very brave and admirable women and I had hoped you would see this too. But perhaps you are letting your personal dislike of me get in the way.
    Again- you assume too much. What on earth makes you think I don't agree with the critique of Islam? It's just not the point of this thread. BerberElla didn't introduce this as a Muslim problem and she didn't solicit only the opinions of other Muslims or ex-Muslims or those critical of Islam. You have this tendency to derail threads and make them about your handful of pet topics. Not wanting you to do that all over the forum doesn't imply that I don't sometimes agree with you in theory.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Sniffles

I agree with Ivy above, and that doesn't happen too often.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Victor, I don't want to engage you privately. Stop repping me and writing on my profile. I haven't said a single thing about disliking you- I simply don't want you derailing threads.

Victor, I don't want to engage you privately. Stop repping me and writing on my profile. I haven't said a single thing about disliking you- I simply don't want you derailing threads.
    Ivy, you have moved from dislike to harassment.

Please stop harassing me.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

You first.

You first.
    Incorrigible.

Sniffles

Damn it Victor, no means NO!