User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 107

Thread: Swearing

  1. #71
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    Uh yeah. But apparently when you speak metaphorically it's acceptable to make bigoted statements and sweeping generalizations that have little or no truth to them.
    Our survival depends on the truth of our statements.

    We can't afford bigoted statements and sweeping generalisations.

    And the proof of the pudding is in the eating - look, here we are.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,009

    Default

    Do we really want to talk about treachery...

    Law and land in New South Wales

    From 1788 until 1823, the Colony of New South Wales was a penal colony. This meant that there were mainly convicts, marines and the wives of the marines although free settlers started to arrive in 1793. In 1823, the British government established a New South Wales parliament by setting up a Legislative Council as well as a Supreme Court under the New South Wales Act 1823 (UK). This Act is now seen as a first step towards a 'responsible' Parliament in Australia.

    It was also intended to establish English law in the colony with the establishment of NSW criminal and civil courts. However, there were significant departures from English law when the first cases were heard in the courts. The first civil case heard in Australia, in July 1788, was brought by a convict couple. The convicts successfully sued the captain of the ship in which they had been transported for the loss of a parcel. In Britain, as convicts, they would have had no rights to bring this case forward.

  3. #73
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    You're not a real person, are you? The only knowledge demonstrated here is making sentences with the English language. Are we to assume all Aussies are criminals because Australia was used as a penal colony? Do you even realize most Americans descend from families who immigrated after the Civil War? You wrote garbage.
    Ah, I see I have cut you to the quick.

  4. #74
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    But most of all you are paranoid because in 1775 you revolted against lawful authority. And then like all revolutionaries you went on to devour your own children in one of the worst Civil Wars in history.

    You got clean away with your treachery and were never punished. And of course you know you did a great wrong and still fear you will be punished. And you fear being punished by your own Government. And of course your own Government will never punish you for what you call your War of Independence, so you are just left with a paranoid fear.

    And it is this paranoid fear that leads to the dissociation of the American people and their elected Government - and which is just taken for granted.
    Victor, you have a unique way of looking at what you perceive to be the truth. But I want to know who you think this truth belongs to. You yourself said that you trust your own government within reason. Which implies that there is a shadow of doubt and paranoia in your own wonderful noble country, as well. As there should be. No one should blindly follow.

    The citizens of this country do not believe that the war of independence was a treacherous one, or else we would have called it the war of treachery. There are 3 sides to every story: my side, your side and the truth.

    It seems as if a son may be a bit bitter that his sibling got away with something (that he paid for in blood), while he still has to pay taxes to the queen.

  5. #75
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    The British didn't even try that hard to win the Rev War.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    The British didn't even try that hard to win the Rev War.
    Best line in the thread.

  7. #77
    Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Utter foolishness here about Americans.
    Johari Nohari

    "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

  8. #78
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    Do we really want to talk about treachery...
    You seem to have conveniently forgotten that America was a colony for one hundred and fifty years.

    And not only was it is colony for so long, but a penal colony to boot.

    And it was only after your eight year war of treachery from 1775 to 1783 that the British were no longer able to send their convicts to you and sent them to us in Botany Bay.

    The problem as I see it is that you believe your own propaganda.

    And this of course is the prime mistake most propagandists make - believing their own propaganda.

  9. #79
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    From our point of view, Americans have a peculiar relationship with their Government.

    Here, just like you, we elect our own Government and Opposition. So within reason we trust our Government and Opposition to govern.

    However to our eyes Americans take a paranoid view of their own elected Government.

    We wonder about this but recognise this paranoia is as American as apple pie.

    Of course you don't have a Government and an Opposition as we do. We look for the Leader of the Opposition in America without finding one.

    So in a way you do have a reason for paranoia.

    But most of all you are paranoid because in 1775 you revolted against lawful authority. And then like all revolutionaries you went on to devour your own children in one of the worst Civil Wars in history.

    You got clean away with your treachery and were never punished. And of course you know you did a great wrong and still fear you will be punished. And you fear being punished by your own Government. And of course your own Government will never punish you for what you call your War of Independence, so you are just left with a paranoid fear.

    And it is this paranoid fear that leads to the dissociation of the American people and their elected Government - and which is just taken for granted.
    Victor, the Brits harassed the US at sea and on the US frontier through their alliances with the Native Americans for decades. They seized our merchant ships through the most transparent of reasons and kidnapped US citizens into their own Royal Navy. They punished the hell out of the US when they had settled the Rev war fair and square with a peace treaty. Burned down the USA capital for crying out loud…and yet you claim they never punished the USA? Where do you get your ideas?

    The War of 1812 (Battle of New Orleans) pretty much settled the whole issue of the American Revolution and lingering feelings of hostilities between the US and UK...all except for Victor.

    BTW, England had a bloody civil war too.

  10. #80
    Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    You seem to have conveniently forgotten that America was a colony for one hundred and fifty years.

    And not only was it is colony for so long, but a penal colony to boot.

    And it was only after your eight year war of treachery from 1775 to 1783 that the British were no longer able to send their convicts to you and sent them to us in Botany Bay.

    The problem as I see it is that you believe your own propaganda.

    And this of course is the prime mistake most propagandists make - believing their own propaganda.
    Actually, I think only Georgia was a penal colony. America was made of several colonies, not just one.
    Johari Nohari

    "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

Similar Threads

  1. Swearing, cursing, vulgarity, verbal abuse
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 03-20-2011, 04:55 AM
  2. Videogames lay waste to nyc (I swear I posted this already)
    By prplchknz in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-09-2010, 08:42 AM
  3. Swearing 'helps to reduce pain'
    By Sniffles in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-15-2009, 04:10 PM
  4. I swear
    By Xander in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 09-30-2008, 06:01 PM
  5. Who Swears?
    By miss fortune in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 11-15-2007, 04:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO