User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 107

Thread: Swearing

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Dear Kingfisher,

    The Australian Labor Party was founded well over one hundred years ago by the working class for the working class.

    And Neville Wran was a highly successful Labor Premier.

    So it was an extraordinary and memorable thing for him to say.

    And it was said full knowing the irony of it being said by one of our most successful Labor Premiers.

    At the same time it had some bite as it contained a kernel of truth.

    As indeed Neville Wran himself got out of the working class and joined the middle class, somewhat flamboyantly.

    So he spoke ironically to put himself down but also to tell a truth everyone knew but couldn't say.

    And it worked because Australians share a deprecatory sense of humour. And we found what Neville said to be funny.

    Americans, for instance, find it hard to understand why we constantly put ourselves down, when they are devoted at all times to selling themselves and boosting their self esteem.

    While we have a deprecatory sense of humour and constantly put ourselves down for historical reasons.

    We were founded during the Aristocratic Ascendancy where the whole thing worked by keeping the King weak and not allowing any Aristocrat to aspire to replace him.

    And we continue this tradition. We put ourselves down so that no one will aspire to be King.

    It is very successful not least because we find it funny.

    However it is a sense of humour that doesn't travel well.
    Spent a lot of time in America have you? Please tell me where this was, I need to meet these people.

  2. #62
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    Spent a lot of time in America have you? Please tell me where this was, I need to meet these people.
    We have been an ally of the United States since 1904.

    Our security depends and the United States.

    Our claim for half of another Continent, Antarctica, depends on one of the world's most successful land treaties with, unsurprisingly, the United States.

    And our economy increasingly depends on our Free Trade Agreement with the United States.

    So it is completely in our interest to not only know what the US is thinking but how it is thinking, and indeed to anticipate what it will think.

    We do nave an advantage being on the other side of the world in a different hemisphere with a different history, because it enables us to take an objective view.

    And of course in a horse race it is wise to back a horse called, "Self Interest", because we know he is trying.

  3. #63
    Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    We have been an ally of the United States since 1904.

    Our security depends and the United States.

    Our claim for half of another Continent, Antarctica, depends on one of the world's most successful land treaties with, unsurprisingly, the United States.

    And our economy increasingly depends on our Free Trade Agreement with the United States.

    So it is completely in our interest to not only know what the US is thinking but how it is thinking.

    We do nave an advantage being on the other side of the world in a different hemisphere with a different history, because it enables us to take an objective view.

    And of course in a horse race it is wise to back a horse called, "Self Interest", because we know he is trying.
    Doesn't that more justify (not that it does) an opinion on the US gov't, rather than the American people?
    Johari Nohari

    "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    We have been an ally of the United States since 1904.

    Our security depends and the United States.

    Our claim for half of another Continent, Antarctica, depends on one of the world's most successful land treaties with, unsurprisingly, the United States.

    And our economy increasingly depends on our Free Trade Agreement with the United States.

    So it is completely in our interest to not only know what the US is thinking but how it is thinking, and indeed to anticipate what it will think.

    We do nave an advantage being on the other side of the world in a different hemisphere with a different history, because it enables us to take an objective view.

    And of course in a horse race it is wise to back a horse called, "Self Interest", because we know he is trying.
    I'll take that as a no. Shall I tell you how Australians are just....oh forget it...your naivete and absolute lack of objectivity have been revealed once again.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    Doesn't that more justify (not that it does) an opinion on the US gov't, rather than the American people?

    Uh yeah. But apparently when you speak metaphorically it's acceptable to make bigoted statements and sweeping generalizations that have little or no truth to them.

  6. #66
    Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    Uh yeah. But apparently when you speak metaphorically it's acceptable to make bigoted statements and sweeping generalizations that have little or no truth to them.
    Goes to show you learn something new every day.
    Johari Nohari

    "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

  7. #67
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    I've watched quite a bit of British TV, I almost never miss Masterpiece Theater and I've studied a ton of British history.

    I've seen many Australian movies.

    So what do I know about the average British and Australians of today? Not a lot.

  8. #68
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    Doesn't that more justify (not that it does) an opinion on the US gov't, rather than the American people?
    From our point of view, Americans have a peculiar relationship with their Government.

    Here we elect our own Government and Opposition. So within reason we trust our Government and Opposition to govern.

    However to our eyes Americans take a paranoid view of their own elected Government.

    We wonder about this but recognise this paranoia is as American as apple pie.

    Of course you don't have a Government and an Opposition as we do. We look for the Leader of the Opposition in America without finding one.

    So in a way you do have a reason for paranoia.

    But most of all you are paranoid because in 1775 you revolted against lawful authority. And then like all revolutionaries you went on to devour your own children in one of the worst Civil Wars in history.

    You got clean away with your treachery and were never punished. And of course you know you did a great wrong and still fear you will be punished. And you fear being punished by your own Government. And of course your own Government will never punish you for what you call your War of Independence, so you are just left with a paranoid fear.

    And it is this paranoid fear that leads to the dissociation of the American people and their elected Government - and which is now taken for granted.

  9. #69
    full of love Kingfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    1,687

    Default

    Victor -
    oh, i do think it is a very funny quote! i just disagree with the sentiment it expresses: that it is important to get out of the working class. and i was curious if you personally shared that sentiment, and if so what the justification for the sentiment is.

  10. #70
    Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    From our point of view, Americans have a peculiar relationship with their Government.

    Here we elect our own Government and Opposition. So within reason we trust our Government and Opposition to govern.

    However to our eyes Americans take a paranoid view of their own elected Government.

    We wonder about this but recognise this paranoia is as American as apple pie.

    Of course you don't have a Government and an Opposition as we do. We look for the Leader of the Opposition in America without finding one.

    So in a way you do have a reason for paranoia.

    But most of all you are paranoid because in 1775 you revolted against lawful authority. And then like all revolutionaries you went on to devour your own children in one of the worst Civil Wars in history.

    You got clean away with your treachery and were never punished. And of course you know you did a great wrong and still fear you will be punished. And you fear being punished by your own Government. And of course your own Government will never punish you for what you call your War of Independence, so you are just left with a paranoid fear.

    And it is this paranoid fear that leads to the dissociation of the American people and their elected Government - and which is just taken for granted.
    You're not a real person, are you? The only knowledge demonstrated here is making sentences with the English language. Are we to assume all Aussies are criminals because Australia was used as a penal colony? Do you even realize most Americans descend from families who immigrated after the Civil War? You wrote garbage.
    Johari Nohari

    "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

Similar Threads

  1. Swearing, cursing, vulgarity, verbal abuse
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 03-20-2011, 04:55 AM
  2. Videogames lay waste to nyc (I swear I posted this already)
    By prplchknz in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-09-2010, 08:42 AM
  3. Swearing 'helps to reduce pain'
    By Sniffles in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-15-2009, 04:10 PM
  4. I swear
    By Xander in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 09-30-2008, 06:01 PM
  5. Who Swears?
    By miss fortune in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 11-15-2007, 04:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO