User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: Swearing

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Victor -
    i have lived in neighborhoods below the poverty line, and i agree that swearing can be a sign of low emotional IQ. feeling is suppressed in poverty neighborhoods, expressing yourself with intelligence and emotional intelligence is dangerous. some people in these neighborhoods have emotional IQ, but it is so repressed that it has no outlet, so they turn to swearing to express emotions.

some, however, escape poverty by the strength of their will and do not want to forget it. we express our emotional IQ, but hold on to swearing and other remnants of our upbringing as part of our identity. it is difficult for some people to understand why someone who escaped these environments would hold on to pieces of them. but those are important parts of us, even if we rejected that life.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It was the Labor Premier of New South Wales, Neville Wran, who said that the only important thing about the working class was to get out of it.
    is this something that you believe?
    i suppose it depends on a person's definition of 'the working class'. i am proud to call myself a member of the working class. i do not want to "get out of it". the poverty neighborhoods i described in the rest of this post are an environment i do not want to return to, but they are a subset of the working class and not indicative of the entire class.

violaine

I rarely swear and didn't at all while I was growing up. I thought it sounded vulgar as a child and that it arrested vocabulary development. I enjoy hearing the creative use of swearing; the Brits do it best. It just doesn't suit me.

But most of all swearing is a sign of a low emotional IQ.
    Fuck you.

Lol.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

It's not a low emotional IQ. People on meds for emotional issues have a low emotional IQ and they cus alot to boot.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Fuck you.
    I have formed the impression that Ango-Saxon swearing is mostly scatological and sexual.

So I was wondering about those living in non Anglo-Saxon countries, and I was wondering whether non Anglo-Saxons swear in a non scatological and non sexual way.

It seems to me that most Anglo-Saxon swearing is a deliberate confusion of sexuality and excretion.

The atomic number of zinc is 30.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Do you realise that in many, if not most, middle class environments swearing is not acceptable?

There is an interesting exception to this and this is when the middle class imitate the lower class.

The middle class imitate the lower class because it is fashionable - but it is always done with quotation marks around it to show that they are not really lower class.

In fact the lower class are being patronised and laughed at behind the quotation marks.

Unfortunately the irony is entirely lost on the lower class.
    Spent much time around the upper classes? Those buggers swear like you wouldn't fucking believe!

Personally, I never swear. I think it's degrading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

It was the Labor Premier of New South Wales, Neville Wran, who said that the only important thing about the working class was to get out of it.
    Dear Kingfisher,

The Australian Labor Party was founded one hundred and twenty years ago by the working class for the working class.

And Neville Wran was a highly successful Labor Premier.

So it was an extraordinary and memorable thing for him to say.

And it was said full knowing the irony of it being said by one of our most successful Labor Premiers.

At the same time it had some bite as it contained a kernel of truth.

As indeed Neville Wran himself got out of the working class and joined the middle class, somewhat flamboyantly.

So he spoke ironically to put himself down but also to tell a truth everyone knew but couldn't say.

And it worked because Australians share a deprecatory sense of humour. And we found what Neville said to be funny.

Americans, for instance, find it hard to understand why we constantly put ourselves down, when they are devoted at all times to selling themselves and boosting their self esteem.

While we have a deprecatory sense of humour and constantly put ourselves down for historical reasons.

We were founded during the Aristocratic Ascendancy where the whole thing worked by keeping the King weak and not allowing any Aristocrat to aspire to replace him.

And we continue this tradition. We put ourselves down so that no one will aspire to be King.

And as we say, we cut off the heads of tall poppies.

It is very successful not least because we find it funny.

However it is a sense of humour that doesn't travel well.