User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: Swearing

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Do you realize though, how much that statement patronizes the lower class?
    It was the Labor Premier of New South Wales, Neville Wran, who said that the only important thing about the working class was to get out of it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

I rarely swear. In fact, I never said a four-letter word until college...when I was surrounded by it.

I have done so on occasion, but it's not anywhere near a regular thing for me. I do find that when I am around others who do, that I tend to be more likely to do so. Just yesterday, I was talking to my boyfriend who was talking about how he'd f-ed something up and I unthinkingly used that same expression back.

I am more likely to swear if I've been drinking. The only other time I've done so in front of him was after I'd had three or four glasses of wine...and I could tell he was not too pleased by it. Funny how he has no problem with swearing himself (though he tones it way down around me) or with others doing so, but me? He really doesn't like it at all. Fortunately, as I rarely do, it's not an issue.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Popsicle View Post
    I rarely swear. In fact, I never said a four-letter word until college...when I was surrounded by it.

I have done so on occasion, but it's not anywhere near a regular thing for me. I do find that when I am around others who do, that I tend to be more likely to do so. Just yesterday, I was talking to my boyfriend who was talking about how he'd f-ed something up and I unthinkingly used that same expression back.

I am more likely to swear if I've been drinking. The only other time I've done so in front of him was after I'd had three or four glasses of wine...and I could tell he was not too pleased by it. Funny how he has no problem with swearing himself (though he tones it way down around me) or with others doing so, but me? He really doesn't like it at all. Fortunately, as I rarely do, it's not an issue.
    That right there is very telling. It's not the working class or the lower classes. Both of my parents swear. They are both highly educated, a teacher and an engineer, though neither has worked professionally in those fields in many years. Hardly scrubby folk.

Swearing is not in and of itself an accurate indicator of social standing. Everyone swears. Even those full of @#%&, mother@#($ers that say they're repulsed by the practice. Being able (that is the possession of the ability) to communicate effectively without swearing may tell us more about a person than the actual tendency of that individual to swear.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I also curse like a sailor in social settings with close friends or when I'm alone (I'm always bumping into something, or spilling something).

I very rarely curse to make a point in an argument and I have called someone a curse word out of anger only a handful of times in my life.

My potty mouth comes out when I'm in a joking, playful mood. I rarely use it when I am being serious or when conveying an emotion.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    But when you use them meaninglessly, as mere sentence fillers, I think that just becomes tedious and irritating.

I have noticed that a lot of Feeler objection to swearing seems to me to come from objection actually to that vehemence and strength of irritation/anger/frustration that they're used to express. It stands to reason IMO, that if you don't like to witness displays of strong "negative" emotions, are frightened by them and don't like to make them yourself out of a desire to avoid conflict or confrontation, then the fact that the most obvious use of most swearing is in this province might be what's behind your dislike of them.

...thinks they should be used sparingly so as not to lose their force or punch, but he's not offended if he hears others using the words, he just judges them as having little imagination, and begrudges what he sees as their misuse and cheapening/bastardization of these words he feels should be preserved for special occasions.
    Yes. All of that. I'm not very good at putting into words how I feel about this, so thanks Sub.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I also curse like a sailor in social settings with close friends or when I'm alone (I'm always bumping into something, or spilling something).

I very rarely curse to make a point in an argument and I have called someone a curse word out of anger only a handful of times in my life.

My potty mouth comes out when I'm in a joking, playful mood. I rarely use it when I am being serious or when conveying an emotion.
    +1

I've never found swearing to be particularly helpful if I'm really trying to get a point across. OTOH, around friends, I can swear just for emphasis. Taken to an extreme though, it loses its edge.

Last weekend when I was sitting on the porch with my brother and family, a couple in the apartment complex kitty-corner from my house was arguing. As the swearing built in frequency, my brother commented "That's just the height of effective communication, isn't it?"

But when something goes completely wrong, it can be a release. When I was a kid, my mother, brother and I were removing a alder that was growing too near the house. Despite making notches in what would have seemed to be the correct locations, the tree slid off the stump and ended up falling against the roof. My mother sent us inside and spent ten minutes kicking the damn tree and engaging in some of some the foulest language I've ever heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    It's not a zero sum game. You're still a dork.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Scarfism View Post
    How often does everyone swear? Are you like me, who only swears when driving or in special circumstances, or do you have a true potty mouth? If you swear, what is your favourite swear word/phrase? I tend to use "fuck me".
    atleast 400 times a day. 2,000 if i am extremely angry.
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Yeah i have a potty mouth. I watch my words around my kids. When around grown ups though, i don't really give a shit.

Got to give an example.

My mum has a very nice sports cabriolet, we were pulling out of a side road into a main road recently and some tit who decided he didn't want to stop at the box junction just came tearing down the road. Mum couldn't see and had to slam on her brakes so hard as not to hit this car. I was fucking livid.
    I was screaming my head off calling this twat a twat, every word out of my mouth was a curse. Had the twat stepped out of his car, i would of fucking smacked him one, i dont care how big he was. My mum just sat there listening to me absolutely dumbstruck, not because of the swearing but because i lost it so bad. I don't even drive yet and i have road rage.

Anyway.

Got to add, my ex told me of a friend he had who would accentuate Fuck with Fuck .. try it sometime and see the reaction .. Fuck fuck .. I laugh still to this day about that one.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I don't swear much, and never in front of children or women. Call me old-fashioned. And I think excessive swearing is unattractive.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    I don't swear much, and never in front of children or women. Call me old-fashioned. And I think excessive swearing is unattractive.
    Personally, I completely agree. I'm pretty old fashioned in my communication too so me swearing would be jarring and out of character. I think I said this somewhere else, I have a friend I can call who swears for me when appropriate. In close friends, I'm tolerant and can laugh at swearing for effect. It can very funny when used effectively.

I don't appreciate swearing as a mode of communication. It makes me want to say -- "use your words, please". I met someone recently where the person swore through the evening - *very unattractive*. It distracted from what the person was saying. I actually enjoy and am attracted to strong opinions so it wasn't that aspect. To me, it reflects a lack of communication skills if that's the primary mode of expression.

There are a handful of occasions when I swore - I remember them clearly because I was really upset and it was a natural reaction. I'm not proud of them because I always prefer to let the emotions pass and then express what I am feeling in a rational manner.