User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Swearing

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Ah, who gives a shit!?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Swearing is coarsening, intimidating and conformist.

But most of all swearing is a sign of a low emotional IQ.
    Ignorant generalization.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

I was just kidding above, but to add something a bit more substantive, I'd like to make the following points:

a) Swearing has its place. Sometimes it adds intensity or humor to the situation.

b) Avoiding swearing at all costs sounds very fake/superficial. It's like you know the other person really wants to swear and say what he/she thinks, but that person doesn't have the whatever-it-is to just SAY it.

Let me give you an example. When my aunt gets angry, even really angry, she never says any swear words, not even damn or crap or something like that. UGHHHHH! Then she waits a second and says a really lame-o replacement like darn, nonsense, or fudge, or shoot. Like "Ohhhhhhhhhhh..................................... ......................shoot!" UGHGHGHGHHGHHGHG It makes me want to shake her. Just say shit. Damn it. Shit. It isn't going to kill you. You're not going to go to hell if you just say shit. You want to say shit. So say shit. Makes me want to say the word like 20 times.

c) Of course there are circumstances in which it is best to avoid swearing. Like work. I don't swear when I'm dealing with customers or clients. I don't swear when talking to my boss. I don't swear when talking to my family unless they are just making me really angry.

Honestly though, it feels fake. Like a mask. When I'm around my best friends who don't care if I swear or my husband, I swear. Because I want to be real and not just wear my happy-go-lucky, anal-retentive, careful Fe mask anymore. And if I want to swear, damn it, I want to swear. Or like this forum. Okay, if you hate my swearing, ignore me. But let me express my feelings and thoughts.

Of course, there are some words even I don't/can't say. Or even write. Which is why I don't write them (or write them in quotation marks). It's just my feeling. But others can say it. With the exception of the c-word. I hate the c-word, really.

Who made the list of words that say you are not allowed to say? In fact, there are some words that I think sound like they should be swear words even though they aren't. Stew. Throw-up. Fidget. Mass. Vagina. Penis. Like. Math. Nice. Urgent. Deadline - that's another word I hate. It should be a swear word.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    Any back up on that? a link to a study I can read on the connection?
    I can't see swearing being connected to a low emotional IQ in all instances.
    All I can do is to tell you my personal experience.

I lived in an environment of drug addicts, dealers, criminals and the mentally ill, but during the day I would commute to the University.

The difference was extraordinary.

In my home environment, every second word was a swear word, but the moment I stepped into the University, I did not hear a swear word all day.

At first I thought swearing was a class marker. As during the day I was moving from a lower class environment into a middle class environment.

And I do think the swearing had a bonding effect for the lower class.

And then I started to realise that they swore because they had very limited ability to express their emotions.

While at the University and in the Public Service they had multiple ways to express their emotions and feelings.

So it seemed to me that the swearers were emotionally impoverished while those that didn't need to swear were emotionally and culturally enriched.

So it seemed to me that there were two kinds of poverty - material poverty and emotional and cultural poverty.

And the proof of this was that many of the University students were materially poor, but emotionally and culturally rich - and so they had no need to swear and didn't - except sometimes simply for effect and not from need.

And it is for this personal reason I associate swearing with low emotional IQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Swearing is our first language in the Corps. -- Around family and those whom I know would take offense to it, never.
    Do you realise that in many, if not most, middle class environments swearing is not acceptable?

There is an interesting exception to this and this is when the middle class imitate the lower class.

The middle class imitate the lower class because it is fashionable - but it is always done with quotation marks around it to show that they are not really lower class.

In fact the lower class are being patronised and laughed at behind the quotation marks.

Unfortunately the irony is entirely lost on the lower class.

Banned

Oh lordy, you haven't been in a classroom in a while I take it? Our instructors have no problem letting the profanity fly. This is not at a local community college either. I had one instructor, an internationally renowned anthropologist with a number of widely regarded publications to his name, use the f-bomb no less than a half dozen times in one quarter.

MBTI
    ENTP

I swear a lot, but not indiscrimminately. Those words have very rich histories and meanings that come from those histories, and they can express things that no other word can, there are nuances that can't be indexed in speech without using those words. But when you use them meaninglessly, as mere sentence fillers, I think that just becomes tedious and irritating.

I like to swear inventively - I use foreign and historical curse words and phrases a lot, doing so can convey both irritation and an awareness of the comedy/absurdity of a situation. Like when the idiot at the job centre keeps repeating the same irrelevant info at you and won't just listen and answer your question, it's kinda funnier to say, totally straight, as if it's how you talk all the time, "By Juno's sacred c**t man, would you ever stop quoting the manual and use your f**king ears?" than to express the same sentiment in purely modern terms, yet the anachronism rings comedically and I think conveys the sense (to most anyway) that though I'm angry, I'm still in control and haven't lost my temper. I also don't think you could effectively express the same amount of vehemence or strength of feeling whilst avoiding those words.

I have noticed that a lot of Feeler objection to swearing seems to me to come from objection actually to that vehemence and strength of irritation/anger/frustration that they're used to express. It stands to reason IMO, that if you don't like to witness displays of strong "negative" emotions, are frightened by them and don't like to make them yourself out of a desire to avoid conflict or confrontation, then the fact that the most obvious use of most swearing is in this province might be what's behind your dislike of them.

I have met some T's who don't like swearing, and I'm not quite sure why it is. I know my ISTJ thinks they should be used sparingly so as not to lose their force or punch, but he's not offended if he hears others using the words, he just judges them as having little imagination, and begrudges what he sees as their misuse and cheapening/bastardization of these words he feels should be preserved for special occasions.

My ISTP step-dad swears like a trooper unless ladies are present, at which point he becomes the perfect gentleman.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENTP

Unfortunately the irony is entirely lost on the lower class.
    Do you realize though, how much that statement patronizes the lower class?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    Oh lordy, you haven't been in a classroom in a while I take it? Our instructors have no problem letting the profanity fly. This is not at a local community college either. I had one instructor, an internationally renowned anthropologist with a number of widely regarded publications to his name, use the f-bomb no less than a half dozen times in one quarter.
    The only time I have ever heard a professor use the F-word was in law school, interestingly enough.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Swearing is coarsening, intimidating and conformist.

But most of all swearing is a sign of a low emotional IQ.
    eh...i don't believe it. my eq is insanely high.

also it's silly to assume someone who does swear a lot is classless or lacking in social grace...it just really depends on your company. i happen to appreciate people who don't don't care about such things.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison