User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Giving gift cards is less tacky than just giving someone money.

I like the high heels one, btw.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    Giving gift cards is less tacky than just giving someone money.

I like the high heels one, btw.
    Thanks.

I thought it was the reverse. I thought it was more tacky to give gift cards? I'm still not sure why people give gift cards unless it's to signal that they actually went to a store or because grandma doesn't want you spending her present on heroin.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Thanks.

I thought it was the reverse. I thought it was more tacky to give gift cards? I'm still not sure why people give gift cards unless it's to signal that they actually went to a store or because grandma doesn't want you spending her present on heroin.
    Well, every year I'd try and make it apparent that I would rather receive money if people are going to buy gift cards for b-day/christmas, since there's no restrictions as to where I can spend it. However, no one really likes giving straight money that I know of, because it's viewed as 'lazy' from what I've gathered. I'm guessing this is because people seem to care more about their own image when giving gifts more than actually giving the gift.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    Well, every year I'd try and make it apparent that I would rather receive money if people are going to buy gift cards for b-day/christmas, since there's no restrictions as to where I can spend it. However, no one really likes giving straight money that I know of, because it's viewed as 'lazy' from what I've gathered. I'm guessing this is because people seem to care more about their own image when giving gifts more than actually giving the gift.
    Yep. Gift giving is seldom about the recipient and most often about discharging the obligation. Now, if you were going to give a gift to your kids or wife, it would be different. But this is outweighed by all the other times you have to bring a gift or get a gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxias View Post
    Pedophilia is a terrible thing.
    Blame the sin, not the sinner

Numerous studies on sex and sexuality has shown that pedophilia, which falls under a type of paraphilia, is not necessarily a conscious choice on the part of the individual. Pedophilia is a type of paraphilia where an adult has sexual attraction towards and/or preference for, prepubescent children. Actions arising from such preference and attraction is a personal choice, on the part of the individual.

In a society where pedophilia is judged so harshly, with grave moral and legal consequences, the message becomes clear: you are a freak and a disgusting excuse for a human being. Although such persecutory thoughts by the masses enable a collective suppression of possible harmful acts against children, it further alienates those individuals who do have such desires, from coming forth to seek help, perhaps, before it is too late.

Action derived from such thoughts about pedophilia is a terrible thing; however, the thoughts themselves do not cause direct harm. The thoughts are the possible gateway to action, and at this stage, must we be counter-active, for the most effective gains towards child protection.

As such, we must take measured steps in how we view pedophilia, as a society, by seperating the persecution of thoughts from the persecution of the actions. In this way, such individuals can find a more tolerant medium to seek help and guidance for their thoughts, rather than continue to hide in the shadows, alone, or worse, find guidance from the wrong groups, such as other like-minded individuals, where thoughts to actions become more likely, and thus, truly terribly dangerous.

MBTI
    ENTP

Great approach! You upturn the conventional argument by labeling it as a mental disorder, which encourages sympathy. Bravo!

MBTI
    ENTP

Here's one I think would be tough:

"People should not let other people cut in line."

MBTI
    INxj
    Enneagram
    4w5

Great job Qre:us.
    NiFiTeSe
    4w5 so/sp
    I 77% E 23%
    N 85% S 15%
    T 51% F 49%
    J 60% P 40%
    average of many test results combined

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Great approach! You upturn the conventional argument by labeling it as a mental disorder, which encourages sympathy. Bravo!
    Great job Qre:us.
    Thanks.

Also another question, could you defend all the social convention you argued against with the same power?
    I'd hope so, as that's the only way to gain deeper understanding of the issue at hand, and why I may often take the position of the devil's advocate. I don't simply defend that which I believe in, but, to see if something that I may personally not believe in can be defended (hence, why). Not taking anything for granted/given, but, truly understanding the why.

Open to perspectives, to arrive at a deeper understanding.

To be able to make an actual case for something, and yet, be able to tear it apart, and back and forth, it goes. Until one idea(l) is left standing, because it (you) cannot be tore it down any further - i.e., it is solid in its essence. Checkmate. You can then stand behind it, with knowledge and confidence.

It's kind of like playing chess with oneself.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Open to perspectives, to arrive at a deeper understanding.
    I like it. I always use this metaphor:

If you were digging for treasure and found a few coins, would you stop digging?