User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Here is one I'd like someone to have a go at: Corporate adoption of the 8-hour work day/40-hour work week.

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Tell me if you can guess what social norm I'm criticizing. It's one of the oldest social norms in America. And one we're still following to this day, on this message board.
    Americans have always been anti-establishment. It's uncommon for me to meet an American who does not openly criticize some institution on a semi-regular basis.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    EIE

Let's kill the basic ones:

1. Handshake (germs!)
    2. Saying 'hi' at the beginning of the conversation (what for??)
    3. Saying 'good bye' at the end
    4. Giving presents on occasions (instead spontaneously)

That's a starter.
    "Act as though it was impossible to fail."
    Dorothea Brande

I started a real blog!

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Here is one I'd like someone to have a go at: Corporate adoption of the 8-hour work day/40-hour work week.
    The eight hour work day is fantastic, reasonable, and effective. If your company is a dinosaur.

If your company is still cranking out buggy whips and celluloid collars in some musty old Dickensian charnal-house-of-the-soul, then the eight hour work day is genius. Keep it up. If, on the other hand, you want to be successful and you want to grow your business you will step into the present and face the future.

Real companies focus more on results and efficiency. Arbitrary measures of human productivity such as the eight hour work day or the 40 hour work week are holdovers from the era of industrialized labor. Worse, they're meaningless.

If your employees effectively accomplish nothing of value during their eight hour day, how important is it that they be there eight hours? Completely unimportant. Instead focus on achieving specific results. Who cares if a project was completed at 8am or 10pm the night before? Treat your employees like professionals and they will behave like professionals.

Many companies are adopting flexible working hours and vacation schedules. Companies like Netflix have completely done away with vacation time and instead allow their employees to take off as much time as they think fair.

Today's workers are professionals and are typically tasked with work that is more complicated and creativity intensive than the assembly line jobs of the past. The work of the past is now largely automated, freeing human beings from doing mindless, machine-like labor. So, now that we are no longer asking human beings to be machines, why do we expect them to work machine hours?

Flexibility means freedom. Flexibility means treating people like people. Flexibility is the future. Embrace it.

/necrobumping my own thread
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INxj
    Enneagram
    4w5

Pedophilia is a terrible thing.

Good luck.
    NiFiTeSe
    4w5 so/sp
    I 77% E 23%
    N 85% S 15%
    T 51% F 49%
    J 60% P 40%
    average of many test results combined

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Loxias View Post

Good luck.
    Well. I did say "accepted social conventions". Otherwise, I might have to admit defeat. Nice try, though.

EDIT: Oh, shit. I see what you did there.

MBTI
    INxj
    Enneagram
    4w5

I might not be totally sure of what is the definition of an accepted social convention.
    NiFiTeSe
    4w5 so/sp
    I 77% E 23%
    N 85% S 15%
    T 51% F 49%
    J 60% P 40%

MBTI
    ENTP

I might not be totally sure of what is the definition of an accepted social convention.
    It's not a strict definition. I need that wiggle room to weasel out of something I can't handle.

MBTI
    INxj
    Enneagram
    4w5

Also another question, could you defend all the social convention you argued against with the same power?

Anyway, let's try something a bit easier :
    We shouldn't let our parents/grandparents die alone.
    NiFiTeSe
    4w5 so/sp
    I 77% E 23%
    N 85% S 15%
    T 51% F 49%
    J 60% P 40%

MBTI
    ENTP

Good luck.
    I don't even want to attempt this one.

MBTI
    ENTP

Also another question, could you defend all the social convention you argued against with the same power?
    That is always my goal. As strident as I am, I don't really believe in answers. I think answers and assumptions turn off your mind. Answers do not belong in most realms. Certainly not in the moral / philosophical realm. In that way, I am worst than the worst relativist. I believe in context over all else.

Anyway, let's try something a bit easier :
    We shouldn't let our parents/grandparents die alone.
    It is sensible and human to not want our parents or grandparents to die alone. It is a noble impulse and shows us to be responsible for our loved ones and emblematic of our most valued social traditions.

However, in practice does it stand up to scrutiny? Does it have value?

For one thing, many elderly people might prefer to spare their families the pain of being present at their passing. By forcing them to spend this time surrounded by family, we might add additional unnecessary stress to the most stressful and penultimate act of life. At the time when they struggle with the ultimate closing of their existence we place the burden of watching their own family and loved ones suffer. Why not allow them the choice to die in peace and solitude? If their affairs are in order and their goodbyes have been said, why not?

For another, it is well known that many animals appear to have an instinct to die in solitude. Aged dogs or other social animals will often go off when they approach death. Perhaps there is some natural impulse that encourages this behavior. If so, to force someone to die in the presence of their fellows might add additional discomfort as it would be somehow unnatural.

Finally, everyone dies alone. The act of death is undertaken by the dying alone. No one accompanies them on their final voyage. No one can share their experience. If you are surrounded by a thousand people who love you, you still embark on your death alone. So, it is actually impossible to not die alone.