User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTJ

Default Do you feel embarrassed by your friends house

This really has been bugging me. And I keep thinking am just being an asshole. I hate going to my friends house he has wall paper on the wall. Walls are supposed to be painted. And also he has carpet in the house which is in dark colors. His wife's so annoying, she leaves her things around. Like its just wrong, like there will be her, high heels not in the right place. Its just a mess, if my house was like that, I'd die. I'd not want anyone to come or see it. But he doesn't care. And his wife's even worse, she only knows how to look pretty. I even said to her, don't you think you should use newspaper and vinegar on the windows to clean them properly. And she started taking the piss out of me, saying its only a window. She just carries on using a wet cloth on the window, and then I was watching her, and she used the same cloth on the table. And its not just the cleaning aspect of it, theres too much clutter in the house also.

Do you guys feel the same? or embarrassed by poor friends?

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

I enjoy going some place clean and organized as much as the next person. I would never be a guest in someone else's home and criticize them. A guest in my home doing that kind of behavior would find themselves with the visit quite abruptly ended for the day as well.
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

MBTI
    INFP

You would hate my house then, it's got way too much clutter, nothing matches properly, the colour co-ordination is off, I clean when I feel like it (not that it's messy), it looks very lived in. Then again this isn;t my house so I have no choice in the layout or design, and I really just can;t seem to care all that much about it.

A house is a house, as long as it's lived in it's a home. Having a show house would look nice, but that requires effort, which could be better spent on my dreamy endeavours.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Sona View Post
    This really has been bugging me. And I keep thinking am just being an asshole.
    Probably.

I don't think I'm ever embarrassed to be seen with someone I truly consider my friend.

And I see house decorating and maintenance as a personal matter and expression of self. So you wouldn't decorate and care for your house in the manner they do. That's your prerogative, as it is theirs to have the same freedom with their home as you'd have with yours.

Chalk it up as human difference and either learn to accept it, or get out of the kitchen. (That's what I'd tell myself.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ISFx

Quote Originally Posted by Lookin4theBestNU and Jennifer
    Exactly.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

"Do you feel embarrassed by your friends house"
    No, it's not my house.

While I do agree with a few of your points, I wouldn't impose those on anyone else. Walls should be painted, furniture should match, and clutter kept to a minimum, but those are just my opinions. Further, I only like white on walls, and prefer light-colored-wood furniture (no darker than my dining room table) and light grey carpet (or, better yet, hardwood and tile, with rugs here and there). I hate wallpaper, but don't care if other people have it or like it.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I may feel uncomfortable because of a lot clutter, but not embarrassed and I wouldn't bring it up, since hell, it's not my house. I'm sure people would feel the same way in my own room.
    I bet they'll put something in the air tonight, just to light your face.

Quote Originally Posted by Sona View Post
    This really has been bugging me. And I keep thinking am just being an asshole. I hate going to my friends house he has wall paper on the wall. Walls are supposed to be painted. And also he has carpet in the house which is in dark colors. His wife's so annoying, she leaves her things around. Like its just wrong, like there will be her, high heels not in the right place. Its just a mess, if my house was like that, I'd die. I'd not want anyone to come or see it. But he doesn't care. And his wife's even worse, she only knows how to look pretty. I even said to her, don't you think you should use newspaper and vinegar on the windows to clean them properly. And she started taking the piss out of me, saying its only a window. She just carries on using a wet cloth on the window, and then I was watching her, and she used the same cloth on the table. And its not just the cleaning aspect of it, theres too much clutter in the house also.

See, this is part of what gives us ISTJs a bad name. For the record, I am relatively poor (I mean, for an American. Got a pretty nice place but have never been raised too materialistic or picky.) You would probably be appalled by my house. The bread on the table (in its bag of course), the dirty dishes in the sink, the little bit of tea residue on the floor that I wiped up with a paper towel the best I could, and the random clutter all over our bar and end tables. lol. It's not the end of the world. Cleaning is.
    By the way, I'm the girl in the picture, lol.... happily married though, so don't even...

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I would be embarrassed to keep friends who complain that my house isn't up to their personal standards. Especially when my hospitality has been graciously extended and accepted by these friends.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I think that if Sona doesn't stop ragging on his friend's wife, when he dies, Allah will send him to my house for all eternity. There he will be tormented by dog hair tumble weeds, ugly wallpaper, bits of popcorn under the sofa cushions, windows that do not even get cleaned with water and a cloth, the list goes on.

All that and not a single high-heeled shoe to distract him with foot fantasies. :SaiyanSmilie_anim:
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers