123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Default What type dreams -a lot-?

So I've been pondering about this a lot lately. Does your type affect how much you dream (or how much you remember of your dreams)? I would think so. And does type influence what -kinds- of dreams? For example, maybe people with high Si have a lot of dreams about the past... personally, I dream a lot about my hunches. Maybe a bit of that Ni I'm still developing? I realize there may be another thread about this, but I didn't see any that caught my eye.

Anyways, what are y'alls thoughts on types and their dreams? Are they even related? What types dream the most? -When- do you dream? What usually triggers them? What do different types dream about? Who has the "weirdest"? Who usually has happy or sad dreams? I'd be interested in any or all input. Dreams have always fascinated me.

Anyways, I dream almost every night. I've noticed there's no one trigger that causes me to dream a lot in one night... I dream whether sleep-deprived or not. Whether there's a lot on my mind or not... I'm still trying to pinpoint those triggers. I have a lot of symbolism in my dreams. A lot of color. I rarely have nightmares. And I always write the weirder ones down... they only usually have something in common if they were close together.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Sometimes I dream a lot and sometimes I don't dream at all, it depends on my mood. I always dream about things that might happen in the future, sometimes realistic thing and sometimes not. My dreams usually reflect my feelings. When I'm happy, I dream about happy things, but when I'm in a pessimistic state of mind, I always dream about dissasters. But somehow my dreams always have a (kind of) happy ending, it doesn't matter how aweful they are! A few days ago I had this dream that my cat was drowning in the bathtubb because the tap was leaking and she couldn't climb out, but in the end I rescued her and then we danced the macarena together. (I dream a lot about rescueing and taking care of people and animals.) My dreams are also always colorful and there is always some kind of background music.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I am dreaming alot, when I am awake and asleep. Only when drunk I can sleep like a stone
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Not really sure how related type and dreaming is, however if it is true that dreams are simply the brain processing things "under the hood" then it can make sense that some function preferences may play into it.

I find that I do not remember a lot of my dreams. I think you have to wake up during or directly after a REM cycle and since my sleeping habits are terribly erratic I am not consistent, so do not consistently remember my dreams. I always have wondered about recurring dreams, as I have a couple of those, and wonder what the hell that is. The brain getting through something unresolved? Who knows. An old ENFP friend got me a dream book once, and I tried to reading it but it seemed a bit too hocus pocus. Though I still have the dreamcatcher she gave me, simply because I like it. Whenever I have an odd dream I tend to laugh about it, but don't really put too much importance on the dream.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Define dreaming.

INFP's tend to be the most active day-dreamers from what I understand. But I'm not that far behind if I say so myself in that regard. :P

As far REM sleep dreaming, I think type has little to no influence on this. Some people are just better at remembering they dreamt.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Kar View Post
    Sometimes I dream a lot and sometimes I don't dream at all, it depends on my mood. I always dream about things that might happen in the future, sometimes realistic thing and sometimes not. My dreams usually reflect my feelings. When I'm happy, I dream about happy things, but when I'm in a pessimistic state of mind, I always dream about dissasters. But somehow my dreams always have a (kind of) happy ending, it doesn't matter how aweful they are!
    Interesting... while at times I -have- dreamed disaster dreams when I'm in a pessimistic mood, I've noticed that more often than not... my dreams are unrelated to my mood (or at least when it comes to negative dreams). It really depends on what's on my mind, not how I feel. The Ti in me? :P

Also, I noticed that when I'm having "bad" dreams, the happy ending only occurs if I'm waking up towards the end and my awareness ends up shaping my dream happily. So I kinda always discount those endings... I don't feel like that was the dream, that was my own wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I find that I do not remember a lot of my dreams. I think you have to wake up during or directly after a REM cycle and since my sleeping habits are terribly erratic I am not consistent, so do not consistently remember my dreams. I always have wondered about recurring dreams, as I have a couple of those, and wonder what the hell that is. The brain getting through something unresolved? Who knows. An old ENFP friend got me a dream book once, and I tried to reading it but it seemed a bit too hocus pocus. Though I still have the dreamcatcher she gave me, simply because I like it. Whenever I have an odd dream I tend to laugh about it, but don't really put too much importance on the dream.
    You sound just like my INTP ex! He hardly ever dreams (don't know what his sleep patterns are like though), and when he does remember, he has a lot of recurring dreams. Not sure if you can relate to this, but he has had a pretty severe recurring nightmare (even though he can't ever tell me what it is). Sometimes it was so bad he'd wake up and he'd have trouble separating reality from the dream... and jeeeez did it freak me out! There has to be some kinda relation here... I hardly ever have recurring dreams. Maybe recurring dreams are Si? And as I kinda mentioned, I don't think my sleep patterns have too much effect (although alcohol does :P). And yeah, my sleeping patterns are all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Define dreaming.

INFP's tend to be the most active day-dreamers from what I understand. But I'm not that far behind if I say so myself in that regard. :P

As far REM sleep dreaming, I think type has little to no influence on this. Some people are just better at remembering they dreamt.
    I don't usually day dream. I guess what brought most of this up was a conversation I had with an ENFP friend a week or two ago. He was briefly telling me about what Carl Jung thought about dreams. Basically:

"According to Jung, dreams are a way of communicating and acquainting yourself with the unconscious. Dreams are not attempts to conceal your true feelings from the waking mind, but rather they are a window to your unconscious. They serve to guide the waking self to achieve wholeness and offer a solution to a problem you are facing in your waking life.

Jung views the ego as your sense of self and how you portray yourself to the world. Part of Jung's theory is that all things can be viewed as paired opposites: good/evil, male/female, or love/hate. So working in opposition to the ego, is the "counterego" or what he refers to as the shadow. The shadow represents the rejected aspects of yourself that you do not wish to acknowledge. The shadow is more primitive, somewhat uncultured, and a little awkward. "

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StephMC939 View Post

You sound just like my INTP ex! He hardly ever dreams (don't know what his sleep patterns are like though), and when he does remember, he has a lot of recurring dreams. Not sure if you can relate to this, but he has had a pretty severe recurring nightmare (even though he can't ever tell me what it is). Sometimes it was so bad he'd wake up and he'd have trouble separating reality from the dream... and jeeeez did it freak me out! There has to be some kinda relation here... I hardly ever have recurring dreams. Maybe recurring dreams are Si? And as I kinda mentioned, I don't think my sleep patterns have too much effect (although alcohol does :P). And yeah, my sleeping patterns are all over the place.

Well the recurring fun dream is when I am at some sort of academy and the ultimate test is that I have to jump over a carrot, and I will either be able to fly around for the rest of the dream or nothing happens and I just land from my jump unceremoniously.

The recurring not so great dream is when I'm being chased by some natives who hurl spears at me with varying accuracy, through grassy fields and woods that looks suspiciously similar to my grandfather's house in Vermont. I love that house and area but hate the idea of being crippled in some way so maybe that's the reason.

I have on some occasion woken up and momentarily still think I was dreaming/ in the dream. Those have been disorienting moments indeed! I think maybe Si can have something to do with recurrences.

And sexy dreams are always nice Still haven't been able to force my subconscious into exploring an encounter with Scarlet Johanssen yet but hopefully it will come around

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    4w5

Hm, i haven't really been remembering my dreams for a while cause i tend to push them aside and forget them after waking up.
    But i have noticed that a lot of my dreams are feeling-based and, to be honest, really Ne. They always have all sorts of strange feelings to them, ranging from quiet melancholy to feelings of deep love, which can be quite enjoyable at times. I always dream in color, though often it's like there's a certain color scheme. There are a lot of references to stuff going on in my life, and just, uh, stuff. I also have a lot of nightmares at times, they are not nice. I also sometimes lucid dream.

And, uh.. yep. I'm an infp and i day dream a lot.

MBTI
    ESFJ

If I get 7+ hours of sleep, I often dream vividly and lucidly.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

I usually don't remember my dreams. When I dream, I don't dream about the past or the future - just about shit that doesn't make any sense!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.